Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
on line
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking when I order my Shrock, do I want to get all the hoops, just the center hoop, or none. And I know there is a great deal of protection offered by the hoops, but I am going for a different look, and was curious to see what people had to say. If I dont get any hoops I wont run lights on the bumper, but if I do, then I will. Just want to see what people have to say.

·
on line
1,831 Posts
You know, I was actually going to order mine without any hoops because I really like how it looked. However, upon ordering, I couldn't argue with the minimal increase in price and the additional protection of having them.

·
TNX Administrator
20,256 Posts
When I order my bumper, it's coming without hoops, because I like my front grill design "\\ \\ // //". When the bumper was re-designed for the 2005+ Models they didn't take the grill change into consideration, as the current hoop design covers this grill up. Current hoop design is just a carry-over of the bumpers designed for the orignial Xterra's that basically have a box/square grill that fits inside the current hoop design. More then likely I will have the loops added at a later date, but they will take the grill design into consideration to be more reflective/appealling to the design of our Xterra front stance.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You know, I thought the same thing, and there were some "other" designs that people were photo shopping and the current design still seemed to flow the best.

·
on line
386 Posts
I ordered my bumper without the hoops because like Old Navy, I felt the design did not look right with the front grill design of the X. When Jim was designing the new bumper this was brought up but the majority did like the current design so that is the way it is.

I like the looks of mine without the hoops a lot better. It obviously is a personal choice.

We should be thankful that Jim at least will make the bumper either way.

·
TNX Administrator
20,256 Posts
Don't plan on buying a bush guard, but this is an example of a company that took the design of grills into consideration, (i.e. NEW Euro-Bar Design), when they built their product;

http://www.waag.com/grilleguard/

·
TNX Administrator
20,256 Posts

·
on line
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I decided I am def going without hoops, later down the road I may try to bend up some extra protection, but we will see....

·
on line
49 Posts
For those that weren't around when Jim designed the 05+ bumper:

Jim actually involved the community (especially the guys that pre-ordered) in the design process. We had a whole thread about this on XOC. Several people, including myself, proposed that Jim bend the tubes to match the X grill design. Jim tried several different ways but they either didn't look good, or they were infeasible (he cannot bend the tubes beyond a certain angle without compromising their strength). This isn't to say that with a lot of time and work he couldn't have designed something cooler, but most of us really did end up liking the design... and we didn't want to wait any longer damn it.

BTW... I have two packs of Jim's business cards (bumper and sliders) and I've given out at least half of them to people that LOVE the Shrock bumper. People approach me in front of supermarkets, restaurants, the gate to the Air Force base (the gate guards want me to sell them the X), and just about anywhere I park. If the thing looked any cooler, I'm not sure I could handle all the attention.

EDIT: Bottom Line --> Get the HOOPS!

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Side by side:

I honestly like the production design better. I've never seen a winch bumper on any vehicle that looks like it was designed with the front fascia in mind, well, aside from some H3 designs. Brush guards aren't made for abuse and can therefore be constructed to be more aesthetically pleasing.

·
on line
551 Posts
I thought I had it all figured out. Bumper plus hoops, and didn't give the design of the hoops to the grill another thought. But those photoshop pics look pretty good with the grill, though they do blend in (could be the color)
Without hoops it just looks incomplete, like something is missing.
Again it's a personal thing.

·
on line
49 Posts
The photoshoped hoops do blend it a lot better but they would be much weaker structurally (according to Jim) and they don't look nearly as MEAN as the current design. I can understand both points of view but I assure you that, if you get the hoops, you WILL be happy with the look it gives your truck. The combination of the front bumper and the AC lift (front coils and rear shackles) make this truck look like a beast. I won't bother posting a picture because it looks the same as all the others. You just have to see it in person next to a stock Xterra to realize how huge a difference the front bumper makes.

·
TNX Administrator
20,256 Posts
Now for some of those millon dollar questions:

What do the hoops on this bumper do??
What purpose do they povide??
Why do they have to be round bends??
Why not box/angle/square/90 deg angles instead of bends??
Do we really need them??

·
on line
1,831 Posts
The answers to those questions are limitless. The most simplified answer would point to personal opinion in aesthetics and function.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts