Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am underneath my X today to align my bumper and I noticed some rust! where it is exactly is on the shrockworks stamp and in the square holes that are cut near the skidplate. I noticed it mainly at those 2 ponts and also it looks like its peeling....

So I am a little pissed! considering I have only had this bumper since last october and I also have had this truck rustproofed prior to winter....

What do I do?

The top part of the bumper and bars are fine.

To have the bumper repowdercoated is gonna cost me alot of money..

any ideas?

This by no means will effect me from buying another shrockworks product...I am still very happy with Jim's service.....just upset thats its rusting so soon.

:cussing: :cussing:

·
on line
1,618 Posts
That sucks. I'm bummed out and I don't even have a Shrock. Well, now that I think of it, that sucks too.
I assume you have salt covered roads a few months of the year, right? I had a powdercoated prerunner bumper rust in just one winter, I always blamed it on cheap powdercoat and salty roads from November to April.
Hope this has a good outcome. Good luck.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
norshor said:
I assume you have salt covered roads a few months of the year, right? I had a powdercoated prerunner bumper rust in just one winter, I always blamed it on cheap powdercoat and salty roads from November to April.
Hope this has a good outcome. Good luck.
I also had my truck sprayed before winter with added attention payed to the front bumper.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just got off the phone with Jim...he was sorry it happened, but he suggested I use a wire brush on the rust remove it and then paint it with a rust inhibitor...

I think I might just get por-15 and paint the bottom half...it bonds to rust so really no sanding is needed...has anyone used this stuff before and if so what kind of preping does my bumper need?

thanks

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I am a huge fan of Por15. I would buy their 6-pack of semi-gloss black. It won't match the powder coat perfectly, but if you are only doing a small spot, I doubt anyone will notice.

Take a small wire brush, knock off any loose powdercoat and remove the loose rust. Take a small paintbrush and paint the rusted area. You will want to extend the Por15 a little over the powder coat, but not too much, just enough to seal where the edge of the powder coat so that water can't get under the powdercoating and start to rust again.

That is one problem with powdercoat, once it's chiped and starting to rust, the rust will spread under the coating and cause it flake off. With cheap powder coating, this happens quickly. With good powder coating, it takes longer.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Muzikman said:
I am a huge fan of Por15. I would buy their 6-pack of semi-gloss black. It won't match the powder coat perfectly, but if you are only doing a small spot, I doubt anyone will notice.

Take a small wire brush, knock off any loose powdercoat and remove the loose rust. Take a small paintbrush and paint the rusted area. You will want to extend the Por15 a little over the powder coat, but not too much, just enough to seal where the edge of the powder coat so that water can't get under the powdercoating and start to rust again.

That is one problem with powdercoat, once it's chiped and starting to rust, the rust will spread under the coating and cause it flake off. With cheap powder coating, this happens quickly. With good powder coating, it takes longer.

Thanks muzikman....
I want to paint the bottom half of my bumper(from just below my shackles down)...so parts that are not rusted can be painted also with por-15? or do I need to prep that surface?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
There would be no point in painting over the powder coat. Only paint the parts that are rusting. The por-15 over the powdercoat is not going to do anything for you except cost money. It's better to fix it as you go. If you see another rust spot forming, take a few minutes and clean it up and coat it with por-15.

Although por-15 can bond to just about everything, it bonds best with rust (unlike normal paint).

·
on line
589 Posts
There is a top corner area of my powder coated sliders that is rusting too. Has only been on for just a few months now... :(

·
on line
564 Posts
I need to cover some bare spots on my sliders...does Lowes or Home Depot carry POR-15?

Rob

·
on line
589 Posts
miles said:
Erick said:
There is a top corner area of my powder coated sliders that is rusting too. Has only been on for just a few months now... :(
thanks for posting that...do you live where it snows?
San Diego man...it's been wet twice since I owned them. I can take a pic of the rust and where it rusted, but there was no contact there. It is just a 'hole' in the powdercoating. Once I take the pic you will get what I mean, but the whole area is brand-new-clean.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
robnfl said:
I need to cover some bare spots on my sliders...does Lowes or Home Depot carry POR-15?

Rob
No, I have never seen it in stores.

I have ordered it from a few different places. I had GREAT customer service straight from Por-15 once when UPS/FedEx/DHL (I can't remember who the carrier was) lost my shipment. Por-15 shipped me a new order and had it to me quickly.

I can't hype up this stuff enough. It really is amazing stuff.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Erick said:
San Diego man...it's been wet twice since I owned them. I can take a pic of the rust and where it rusted, but there was no contact there. It is just a 'hole' in the powdercoating. Once I take the pic you will get what I mean, but the whole area is brand-new-clean.
Did you ever get this resolved or post any pics? Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts