Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've been searching for a possible cause throughout these forums and failed to find anything describing my issue. If this seems to have already been addressed elsewhere, please forgive me and point me there:)

Since I bought my '07 X last year, it has progressively made more noise from the front end. Initially it seemed to simply be a sort of rubbing sound which got louder when I turned right and almost completely disappeared when I turned left. About 6 months ago I replaced the left hub assembly and last month I replaced the right one. The noise has not gone away and is definitely getting worse. Braking does not change the noise so I had ruled out brakes. To make make matters worse, I now have a very shrill shriek from (seemingly) my right front end when I am turning right at 3-5 mph. I tried complete revolutions of the steering wheel with the car stopped and there is no noise.

Any ideas or ways to troubleshoot?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Are your front sway bar endlinks connected on both sides? I have broken my endlinks more then once and when they are not connected the swaybar can rub the inside wheel well when turning hard left or right depending on which one is broken. I was able to see marks on the swaybar and the wheel well from the rubbing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so I crawled under there last night and both ends of the sway bar appear to be connected. However, when I get on the side of the truck and rock it side to side, there is a clunking noise from the front axle area. I then had my friend rock it while I looked under there and the bushings where the sway bar connect seem to have quite a bit of play in them. Is this normal? I can take a picture later today and post it.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
if there is a lot of play, i would replace the sway bar end links. they arent expensive so its something cheap to either fix it or rule it out.

now when you say you replaced both hub assemblies, this means you replaced the wheel bearings? This sounds like a wheel bearing problem to me for sure.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
There should not be a lot of play. Did you notice wear marks on the sway bar or wheel rim? There are collars on the sway bars that can break loose allowing the sway bar to move more then intended too.

This is from a titan but ours basically looks the same. That shiny silver part can break.

I am not sure that would give it enough play to hit the wheel well but it might.

I would agree with BlackoutV except I read your first post as you replaced your hubs because of the sound and it persisted after the swaps. It that is not the case then maybe check the bearings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly. I figured it was a bearing issue so I replaced both the assemblies which includes the bearings. I might try shooting silicone at the assembly and see if it helps at all. Maybe my new bearing is bad. The shrieking also seems to happen after I get off the highway and the car has warmed up. It doesn't make that noise in the morning when I pull out of my driveway.

Thanks for the tips. I'll do some more exploration under there this evening and also check out the collars on the sway bars.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
The fact that it doesn't change with braking and hasn't changed with the unit bearing swap is curious ... it sounds like you're saying it's vehicle speed dependent, and not engine rpm dependent; is that correct?

You probably know this, but if the noise is vehicle speed dependent, the problem will be downstream of the transmission - in the drive-shafts/axles/wheel assemblies. If it's rpm dependent, the problem is likely in the motor or at least upstream of the trans. Since it sounds like you're describing a speed sensitive noise - and with everything else that's been posted so far, it's possible it could be one of your half-axle cvs; but seems more likely that it could be a front drive shaft u-joint. How many miles are on the truck?

The u-joints should be a fairly easy test ... drop the front drive-shaft (IIRC 8 bolts, total) and see if the noise persists or changes. If you're pushing 75-100k miles, replacing them is good preventative maintenance, anyway, and is much easier with it out of the truck ... so at the end of the day, if it's not u-joints, you're not doing too much extra. I know you said you had ruled out brakes, but I'd still do a thorough inspection to check for debris or miscellaneous parts rubbing and creating the noise - I have heard of the dust shields getting bumped and creating hard to diagnose problems like this one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're right, it's speed dependent. Ah, that could likely be a cause. I bought it with 71k on it and it now has 92k. Thank you for the suggestion I'll definitely try that as well. Forgive my ignorance, but what is the shaft that slides through the hub assembly? When I replaced the assembly I tried rotating that shaft by hand and it seemed to have a bit of grinding in it's action.

·
on line
4,434 Posts
Look for a bad CV joint on the front. These are the two shafts that go from the front differential to the wheels. There are 4 CV joints in all, two per side on each end of the shaft. They usually go bad after the flexible rubber boot gets a tear and water and mud get in there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts