Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

Just got finished putting the Shrockworks Diff armor on. I figured that while i had the cover off I would paint it. I got some red Krylon Farm & Implement paint for the stock cover and did a stealth flat black for the armor. Here are the pix:

I used MC's ZipLock bag trick to catch the diff oil. I just changed it not too long ago.

Everything looks normal.

I cleaned up the gasket seat with a wire brush and used some plastic wrap to cover the gears in the diff from getting dirt all over them.

I scrubbed the stock cover with wire brushes and masked off the back. Conveniently, a wine cork is perfect for plugging the fill hole to protect the threads from getting painted. Then I primed with some Rustolium Rusty Metal Primer and put a few coats of the red tractor paint on. Then installed the whole mess.

Howzit look?

Z.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Cool...now clean and paint the rest of the axle. ;)

What gear oil did you use? It looks odd. Seeing as it's purple I would say it was Royal Purple, but I use Royal Purple in the Jeep and it's not that shade. That looks almost like grape yogurt. :)

·
on line
576 Posts
Muzikman said:
Cool...now clean and paint the rest of the axle. ;)

What gear oil did you use? It looks odd. Seeing as it's purple I would say it was Royal Purple, but I use Royal Purple in the Jeep and it's not that shade. That looks almost like grape yogurt. :)
Of course its grape yogurt. Your think gasoline is the only thing we are trying to cut back on to save the environment. Grape yogurt will help our dependency on the current oils out there. Duh!

·
on line
358 Posts
I'm guessing that the diff has been under water and does not have a breather extension.

·
on line
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol

It's Red Line Shockproof oil. It started out red but after about 1000 miles the gunk in the diff darkened it a bit. In the bag it looked like chocolate syrup.

Here is the end result, off of the jack stands and in the driveway.

Can't really see the red well, but it makes me happy.

Like my scalloped rear bumper? he he

Z.

·
on line
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gerdo said:
I'm guessing that the diff has been under water and does not have a breather extension.
You think the oil is bad by the looks? I was wondering myself. I have done a river crossing.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Normal gear oil (and motor oil) will turn milky white when it's wet. It will also get a lot of air bubbles in it.

·
on line
500 Posts
Muzikman said:
Normal gear oil (and motor oil) will turn milky white when it's wet. It will also get a lot of air bubbles in it.
In the motorcycle world, milky oil means change it ASAP, in that it's ability to lubricate has been greatly diminished.

Patrick

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Correct, milky white means you have water in the oil (or anti freeze, or most any foreign liquid). And any time that happens it means change it right then and there. There really isn't an acceptable amount of water in oil. A very little bit will destroy a lot of oil.

·
on line
358 Posts
If the clean gear oil has a redish purple tint to it then it could look like that if it had water in it.

·
on line
358 Posts
Extend you diff breather while you are under there. Well worth the $15.

·
on line
641 Posts
Am I wrong to think that if the author of a thread titled "Showing off my rear-end" had been mcampana, or S_e_X-Terra, or a number of other people on this forum, that people would have hesitated to read the postings? ;-)

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Nice lookin' rear, for sure. And muzikman, thanks for the heads up on even a tiny bit of water in oil. That's the kind of advice noob DIY-ers need.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
dpatton said:
Am I wrong to think that if the author of a thread titled "Showing off my rear-end" had been mcampana, or S_e_X-Terra, or a number of other people on this forum, that people would have hesitated to read the postings? ;-)
That or we thought he was showing off his new girlfriend :geek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts