Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd post this here also.

I just picked up my shovel and Ax for my off-road X. I purchased a small utility shovel from ACE hardware and a Fiskars 14" ax. I sprayed urethane on the shovel to help prevent any corrosion and help seal the wood from the elements.

The ax came with a rather slippery plasic handle, so I bead blasted the handle to roughen it up, then wraped the handle with 3M grip tape I found at Ace hardware also. I then used orange Duct tape to add a bit of safety to the ax.
I went to R.E.I and purchased some buckels to lash it down to the top box to prevent them from moving around...works great!

I plan to add a tow rope and other essential vehical items up there that rarely get used but when they do they get dirty!

It's amazing how dry that top box stays...it has been raining like crazy here in Oregon, and the tools in the box have been dry!

I plan to use the shovel to dig and put out camp fires, dig in the snow, or get a tire out of a rut. The Ax will be used to clear bracnches off the road, collect fire wood etc...

·
on line
2,072 Posts
Great idea, now I gotta go buy a shovel and an Axe. I currently have my jumper cables and some rope up there.

·
on line
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not too worried about the ax rusting...the head is made out of stainless and has a tuff metal coating on it. Also, the sheath is synthetic.

·
on line
750 Posts
Yes, exactly like that with my dark Norweigan booty in the sun. LOL

Sears is have a clearance on a great little utility shovel. Just picked on up for $8. Unfortunatly it has a flat blade instead of a spade...but whatevah.

·
on line
709 Posts
hey good idea. I just bought that same shovel at ace on monday. I put it in the trapdoor storage areain the back with my tie downs, jumper cables, tow rope, ect. ect. I never thought of that tho. I think thats a better place. Good thinking.

·
on line
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool! Those shovels are great and cheap!

I have other plans for the trap door over the spare tire....a place for more discret items...like firearms.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
That does make a great storage spot. I bungeed my shovel and tossed my loose ratchet straps up there when we were running around Ouray last August... worked perfect!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts