Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm drooling over a 2 inch lift from OME but now I have to decide getting a package with an AAL or just getting the new Dakkar leaf springs. The cost difference is about $350. If my leaf springs look fine now, that means I can spent the other $350 somewhere else like skid plates =3

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
443 Posts
You will get plenty of opinions on this topic. But, here is some insight.

Your leaves are flat. An aal will give you 1.5-2" but will be sagging in a year or so to probably an inch of lift, maybe even less. You can get the AAL and it will help for a while, but eventually they will sag again and need replacement.

When my AAL sagged down, I made a "hybrid" pack with a Nisstec AAL and 1(of the 2) leaves from a PRG AAL, and brought it back up to 2" and a little stiffer.

There are ways to milk more life with creative use of different springs like I did, but ultimately I'm at almost $300 in AAl springs, almost enough to get the OME leaf packs. So I haven't really saved much money.

With that being said skids are important too, and getting an AAL will allow you to get some armor quicker, and then replace you leaves in a year or so.

Summary of my opinion: It would not be wasted money to get the OME leaf packs now, but there is nothing wrong with an AAL for a temporary solution in order to get some other goodies, but know they WILL sag again.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
More than likely, those leaf packs will cause your AALs to break if you buy them. I'd buy new leaf packs. I was running AALs for quite a while and actually advocated them for a while.....and then I pulled the leaf springs off the truck to put new ones on that I had gotten, and the deaver AALs came off split in half.

The leaf springs should still be in decent condition so that the AALs aren't trying to do all the work. With AALs, you are simply adding leafs to what SHOULD be a working leaf pack. If the leaf pack is shot, don't expect to many good results from the AAL, they aren't designed to work by themselves.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
P.S. Couldn't help noticing that it looks like you don't have a full size spare tire? Don't be "that guy". If you wheel your truck, get a full size spare so that you aren't having to beg someone else on the trail with you to lend you their tire.

Unless of course those are stock size dura tracs in which case, carry on :) Just wanted to throw it out there

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You will get plenty of opinions on this topic. But, here is some insight.

Your leaves are flat. An aal will give you 1.5-2" but will be sagging in a year or so to probably an inch of lift, maybe even less. You can get the AAL and it will help for a while, but eventually they will sag again and need replacement.

When my AAL sagged down, I made a "hybrid" pack with a Nisstec AAL and 1(of the 2) leaves from a PRG AAL, and brought it back up to 2" and a little stiffer.

There are ways to milk more life with creative use of different springs like I did, but ultimately I'm at almost $300 in AAl springs, almost enough to get the OME leaf packs. So I haven't really saved much money.

With that being said skids are important too, and getting an AAL will allow you to get some armor quicker, and then replace you leaves in a year or so.

Summary of my opinion: It would not be wasted money to get the OME leaf packs now, but there is nothing wrong with an AAL for a temporary solution in order to get some other goodies, but know they WILL sag again.

Awesome, thanks for all the info! Since they are flat, I could get the leaf pack now and put some armor on my Christmas list since that is more purchasable for a gift than a leaf pack =P I'm not 100% sure about the HD coils or not as well. What would you say the breaking point would be between getting HD coils vs regular for added weight/armor?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
P.S. Couldn't help noticing that it looks like you don't have a full size spare tire? Don't be "that guy". If you wheel your truck, get a full size spare so that you aren't having to beg someone else on the trail with you to lend you their tire.

Unless of course those are stock size dura tracs in which case, carry on :) Just wanted to throw it out there
Yeah, that is a 31 spare and my duratracs are 33. The cost for all four and other charges was more than I was expecting so I couldn't grab the extra for the spare. I'm waiting to get it before wheeling at all for exactly the reason of not being "that guy". Thanks for the reminder though. Just one of those things that aren't fun and cool to spend money on but a necessity in the end.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More than likely, those leaf packs will cause your AALs to break if you buy them. I'd buy new leaf packs. I was running AALs for quite a while and actually advocated them for a while.....and then I pulled the leaf springs off the truck to put new ones on that I had gotten, and the deaver AALs came off split in half.

The leaf springs should still be in decent condition so that the AALs aren't trying to do all the work. With AALs, you are simply adding leafs to what SHOULD be a working leaf pack. If the leaf pack is shot, don't expect to many good results from the AAL, they aren't designed to work by themselves.
This is my thinking towards an AAL as well. That's why I was curious if my were considered flat =)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Also, getting the leaf packs now will save you a lot of time in labor, not having to re-do things. I've wasted a lot of time working on my packs.

I think for OME front setup(What I have in HD) the cutoff for weight(so they say) is 0-90lbs extra for light, and 90-150lbs extra for heavy. I have a winch(hidden mount, not full bumper) and skids/sliders and I give the HD OME coils a workout, I think I'm getting like 1 1/4" lift up front.

Food for thought, if you are doing the install yourself, it's probably worth seeing if Nisstec will install the new strut tops for you, I think it's like $100 or so, much easier, faster, and safer than trying to decompress the stock coilovers and compress the new ones. Makes it a bolt-on setup.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was checking out your rig, it's pretty sweet. I like the winch setup =) So if I want at least skid plates, grab the HD. I was reading that the Shrockworks stuff was like 15-30 lbs roughly each. Thank you Xtracrispy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts