Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
Joined
·
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Sorry for not having pictures yet. This weekend I blew the front differential. My problems did not end there and it appears that the driver's side axle started to come out from the differential housing. Currently the drivers side axle has a 1" gap between its end and the differential. When I drive it makes a "clunk-clunk" sound once in a while. I did not make it home from the last trip and I am curious if driving it to the dealer (~ 7 miles) will be bad. I assume the whole front end will need a replacement anyway...

Your thoughts, please :)
 

·
on line
Joined
·
4,593 Posts
Your thoughts, please

My sympathies.

Wish I could offer some valid advice, but I'm not a 'car' guy. My gut feeling tells me that there are likely too many turns between your home and the dealer. If you damage it further, who knows what 'other' warranty issues may arise.

Will your insurance pay the towing up front {with the intent of getting reimbursement}?

When you have the time, it would benefit all of us if you could find that thread about busted diffs and add your info there as well.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
XKNUT et. al.,

My info has been uploaded to the sticky thread. This is a bone stock OR with no modifications. The diff was blown while going uphill in sandy terrain. The wheels spun and then there was this heart breaking noise... I am surprised that his has happened. Frankly, if things continue to be this way, "bye-bye" X :(
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,077 Posts
i would suggest you have it towed, don't want to drive it to the dealer and have them question why you drove it there with this kind of a problem....may be more difficult to get it covered under warrenty.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,050 Posts
vman said:
XKNUT et. al.,

My info has been uploaded to the sticky thread. This is a bone stock OR with no modifications. The diff was blown while going uphill in sandy terrain. The wheels spun and then there was this heart breaking noise... I am surprised that his has happened. Frankly, if things continue to be this way, "bye-bye" X :(
so what would you get instead?
 

·
on line
Joined
·
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
miles said:
vman said:
XKNUT et. al.,

My info has been uploaded to the sticky thread. This is a bone stock OR with no modifications. The diff was blown while going uphill in sandy terrain. The wheels spun and then there was this heart breaking noise... I am surprised that his has happened. Frankly, if things continue to be this way, "bye-bye" X :(
so what would you get instead?
Dunno,

I honestly do not need a car or a daily driver; X is my toy. It was supposed to be the spare vehicle I could use for off-roading and camping. It is somewhat pointless to have a brand new car with a weak diff. I am hoping that some company will release an alternative to the front end. If not, then I don't know what to do :(
 

·
on line
Joined
·
131 Posts
You can drive it but it will cause more damage to the diff. (Ask me how I know) Of course the diff will be replaced anyway. If you have the right tools you could just remove the axle. I can remove mine in about 15 minutes each. I feel your pain about the weak front crap. If Nissan fixes yours under warranty, which they should seeing as it's stock, could you send me a copy of the work order.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
super6turbo4 said:
You can drive it but it will cause more damage to the diff. (Ask me how I know) Of course the diff will be replaced anyway. If you have the right tools you could just remove the axle. I can remove mine in about 15 minutes each. I feel your pain about the weak front crap. If Nissan fixes yours under warranty, which they should seeing as it's stock, could you send me a copy of the work order.
Hey, you answered my next question. I assume that I can remove the axle and let the wheel roll by itself. Does that sound reasonable? Sorry, I am not a big on mechanical terms, but we are talking about the thing that is connected to the differential, right? The reason I am asking about it is because my truck is somewhat dirty due to a water puddle that I found last weekend. I don't want Nissan to say that I was abusing the car just because of dirt. I would like to wash it and then bring it to the dealership... Then again, what if Nissan says that I damage the diff by removing the axle :)

The diff is gone. We tested it on site and when I was in 4Lo only the rear wheels were working. Grrrr mother-f'ing grrrr!
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,077 Posts
a little mud shouldn't cause them to void the warrenty, especially on a totally stock vehicle, just tell them you were driving on a dirt road (have a road name available if you know of one) before it happened. remember, they have to prove you abused it and broke it to void the warrenty, a little dirt and mud "should" be ok.....now if i rolled in there with some mud, i'm f'ed...33" tires and a lift, they'll probably laugh as i'm pulling in.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
111 Posts
Someone should post a "how to" for removing the front axles, including required tools. It sounds like this is something we all may want to know how to do on the trail.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mcampana said:
I have a question...........................Did you ever replace and or top off the front diff fluid? They all have been comming from the factory notoriously low of diff and transfer case fluid.
I will be honest, I did not do that. The manual did not state that this was a required procedure and since the name of the car is Nissan Xterra, not Land Rover Discovery and not Mazda RX-7, I thought that I was doing okay on diff fluids and other minor things given the fact that the car has only 11K on it. Perhaps it was my fault for not topping off the fluid.

There is fluid there, I can tell you that much by looking at what has come out so far. I'll let Nissan deal with it. Towing it is.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top