Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to get new tires. Going with BFG Rugged Trails again. Since the new tires are the same as the truck's original tires, my local mechanic suggested taking the spare (which I've never used) off the spare's steelie and using it along with 3 of the new tires. He'd then mount the 4th new tire on the steelie spare. His rationale is that I might as well use the original spare before it starts to develop dry rot. I can then have him do the same procedure in another 3 years when mynew batch of BFG's wears out.

Does this sound like a good idea to you? or do you think leaving the spare as-is would be OK? I plan to keep the truck for a long time (10+ years as long as it runs strong).

Thanks

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
Buy a used rim (same as stock) a and rotate the new spare in.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Be forewarned the TPMS light will be on. The X will only recognize 4 TPMS sensors.

Op. save a few bucks. Just buy 3 tires. Use the spare as number 4. Then, take the best of the old ones and mount that on the steelie as a spare.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'd suggest that too for this time.
But what a lot of people do is only keep their four tires in rotation. When one of them is damaged and/or unrepairable, you can go buy one tire, and move your spare in so you have 2 brand new even tires on the same axle instead of 5 evenly worn tires and one with thicker (uneven to others) tread. Relatively speaking you get 2 fresh tires with only dishing out money for one right then and there

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
575 Posts
I got rid of my stock Ruggeds at 5K miles, after two flats probably caused by sharp rocks on county gravel roads - not a good tire in my opinion. Buy good tires in Load C and you will probably never need to use your spare - so, I think it is dumb idea. Also, as mentioned, the complications of only 4 TPMS. I don't rotate and balance unless/until having vibration problems. I save that expense and put toward new tires more often ( usually sell old at about 1/2 tread life) - I like new tires.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, much appreciate the input. What Surf and Snow said is what my local mechanic actually recommended. My current tires are 50K old and near the wear bars, so I think I'm going to go for 4 new tires, and put the one from the spare into the current rotation. My father in law works for a car parts distributor, so I'm getting the tires at cost...so likely buying 4 for the price of 3 anyway...

·
on line
14,613 Posts
Then there is the chrishaynesusa solution.
Buy six off road MT tires that will never have TPMS. Mount them on steelies.

Buy 5 AT's five of which have TPMS on aluminum rims, if you have a flat the swap in the new one and make appt for adding it to rigs computer.

Buy second new tire mount to old (flat)and use "Monster" suggestion of having two new tire on either front or rear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts