Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 Xterra 2WD Auto with almost 99K. I take good care of her and plan to replace the spark plugs in a couple of weeks. I wanted to know should I change the coils at the same time since they have to come off anyway and the passenger side is a bear. I have no trouble lights and overall the truck runs great, however I have started to notice a bit of a rough idle after everything warms up, I give it a little gas and it appears to go away but returns once the revs come back down. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
I have a 08 Xterra 2WD Auto with almost 99K. I take good care of her and plan to replace the spark plugs in a couple of weeks. I wanted to know should I change the coils at the same time since they have to come off anyway and the passenger side is a bear. I have no trouble lights and overall the truck runs great, however I have started to notice a bit of a rough idle after everything warms up, I give it a little gas and it appears to go away but returns once the revs come back down. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
No need. Plugs only is fine.

·
on line
2,044 Posts
when I hit 100k I did the sea foam 1/3 can piss stream through brake booster line... next day I did the oil change running the oil change additive for 5 minutes when engine got warm. I was surpriced to see dirt colored oil come out.... then with engine cold I removed the top part of the throttle intake and cleaned out the baked on oil residue. (I added the oil catch can after what I saw) I replaced spark plugs with ngk's and re installed the plenum...... I used the same orange gasket from the plenum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, looks like just plugs for now, hopefully it will cure the idle issue, will keep you posted.

·
on line
2,044 Posts
yes.. brown colored oil...... looked like chocolate milk oil.... remember I have the aftermarket intake system and was running my truck south of the border in areas with fine dust. currently at 225k I am still happy with my truck.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
milky oil is due to water or moisture in the oil. Was most likely the cleaner that you put in churning with the oil.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I would change the coil boots as these break down leaving a short to ground which leads to misfiring rough idle and coil break down. thing of them as spark plug wire in days long gone. Theyre cheap and readily avail for most vehicles now. aside from that clean throttle body. and fuel injectors. all is just regular maintenance which is so much better than points, plugs, cap, rotor. wires, and capacitor every 20k miles. for you young guys google it :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts