Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Pro-4x
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I needed and bought a truck last December, my xterra has seen very little use and I’m finally ready to let her go.

It’s a blue 2012 Pro4x with about 194500 miles that I bought 100% stock from the original owner about 3 years ago. It has spend most of its life in Arizona, so rust is basically a non-issue. But cosmetically it does have some paint missing, some small dents and it’s fair share of AZ pinstripes.

I listed it on the local Craigslist for about 12 grand but haven’t gotten much serious interest and haven’t had too much time to show it.

I’m now thinking about listing it on Cars&Bids, I’ve been a long time fan of Doug and am kind of intrigued by the action and it being sold within a week no matter what. The only issue is that they are asking me to put no reserve.

What do you guys think?

The xterra has cosmetic flaws, high mileage, a calmini rear tire carrier bumper, and a ~3 inch lift with 2.5” radflos, PRG UCAs, AALs and extended bilsteins. Because of that it’s hard to find comps, and thus get an idea what to expect from the auction.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Sky Car

Car Vehicle Gear shift Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
The only issue is that they are asking me to put no reserve.
That would be just about the dumbest thing I have heard.

It might work out, it might not. Xterra's are kind of niche. I have never ever heard of cars and bids - totally possible your's comes up on the wrong day with few bidders. Gas is also $5 bucks a gallon and there aren't many people with $12K burning a hole in their pocket right now.

Craigslist, post it here, post it on any other local board, and wait - someone will buy it. Or just get a price from one of the car buying places like carmax or vroom and see what they will give you.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Craigslist, post it here, post it on any other local board, and wait - someone will buy it. Or just get a price from one of the car buying places like carmax or vroom and see what they will give you.
Probably too old for for Carmax or Vroom, or even Carvana. They tend to like newer stuff.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Probably too old for for Carmax or Vroom, or even Carvana. They tend to like newer stuff.
They will buy pretty much anything that isn't damaged, but they won't sell it themselves - they will send it to auction, so yes you will likely get more selling it elsewhere, but its extremely convenient - you bring the title they give you a check - and will give you a floor on what price to accept if you are selling yourself.

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
1,442 Posts
I’ve seen many 2010’s on all 3. For silly $$$ too….🤮

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
no reserve is dumb. unless your in a hurry to get rid of it.. dont do that.

I think it will sell for a decent price on craiglist, autotrader.. for a decent asking price OBO. you decide if its too low to take!

just gotta wait for the right buyer to come along who knows what they are looking for.

·
Registered
09, lifted, 33's
300 Posts
Not enough quirks and features! I would not go the now reserve route. Nice X though!

I can't stand facebook and the other social media stuff, but I will give them credit for marketing/click analysis. When i need to sell something, i use an account my wife has only for the purpose of market place. the marketplace feed shows me stuff i didn't need but now want to buy.

My kids stuff sells in 24 hours.
My jeep TJ that had the frame rust in half had people fighting over it and was supposedly shipped to Puerto Rico for a frame swap. It literally blew up my wife's email connected to the account.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Your not getting any offers at $12,000 and an auction site wishes you to sell it at no reserve?

Dont do it!

You could potentially be selling your vehicle for $500 and pay auction fees.
Lower your asking price and sell it yourself prior to using a second party seller.

·
Registered
2012 Pro-4x
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Appreciate all the replies, at the auction you don’t pay any fees to sell. And you pay 4,5% as the buyer. I was thinking worse comes to worse we can do the ol’ ebay trick of having a friend bid and potentially be out a couple hundred bucks if the price is far below what I expected.

Carvana have an offer of like 4500$, as on paper it sounds like a cosmetically flawed, modded 10 year old suv.

Let me go ahead and post it on here and see what happens!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
IMO $12k for any vehicle approaching 200k miles is simply too much. The fact that you’re getting no nibbles from Craigslist is telling. Yes, I’m aware the market is crazy but not many are going to have $12k in cash and no sane bank/credit union is going to give a loan for that on a 10 y.o. suv let alone one with that many miles. Regardless of how well it’s been maintained, you’re closer to the end of the vehicle’s life than the beginning. But hey there are plenty of people out there with more $ than sense so maybe someone will come along.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Selling a 12 year old Ford Truck on Craigslist with 27k miles, buyer drove 3 hours, ended up getting a hotel overnight and paid $500 less on $9k asking price. 2 other people called but you can tell who is a real buyer and who is a “career buyer”.

You never know who when where. Try Craigslist, try Offerup. Try others. List now, expect calls on Thu-Sun.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
There was a guy here that sold a 6mt blue Pro4x with under 100k on cars&bids and it sold for $17k. I still regret not snatching that one up. In my opinion, that one sold for a good $8-10k under what he could have gotten for it. That site doesn't get the traffic like bringatrailer gets. I'd be wary of selling it there, especially if it's a no reserve vehicle with some body damage. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Someone will pay $12K, or maybe 10. Were all living in the pre pandemic price world. A new Fronty is $45k, as is a new 4 Runner, if you can find either which you can't. So its 25% of new. But you need to find the right buyer, one that also has $12K in cash.

If I were in the market I would consider it. I have been casually looking for a smaller SUV for like $10K - like a RX350 or Rav or whatever, and there is absolutely nothing in that price range with much less than 200K miles, at least around here.

·
Registered
‘06 Super Black S 5AT & ‘10 Knight Armor OR 5AT
1,442 Posts
Be patient, it’ll sell.

Damn paint breaks my heart….. The blue is a beautiful color on X’s and to see it peeling like that…..🤬.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wish that was here in Arizona- I’d jump on it in a hurry! There was one selling in Phoenix Craigs List with a salvage title for about 26k and when I asked about it the seller told me he already had a few offers. I guess it all depends on location and timing

·
on line
341 Posts
I wish that was here in Arizona- I’d jump on it in a hurry! There was one selling in Phoenix Craigs List with a salvage title for about 26k and when I asked about it the seller told me he already had a few offers. I guess it all depends on location and timing
He is in Arizona.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts