Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 S 4x4. 24k almost 25k miles on it and bought new by me. I drive it mainly to work/back/vacations etc and it sees some sand a few times a year at the outerbanks/ft fisher, maybe more this year since i want to do more surf fishing, and it might see some trails in uhwarrie national forest. Nothing crazy, just the easy ones. There are no other places close by i can take it to use the 4x4 besides uhwarrie and the beaches of NC. My question is this: should I ditch it in favor of a new jeep wrangler unlimited? I want it to last and I don't want to blow a diff doing an easy trail at uhwarrie at 101,000 miles and be on the hook to pay. My warranty is out to 100k. I need something that can carry 5 adults, the unlimted wrangler can, that is 4x4, that will last. I test drove the jeep and it's a slug but other than that looks solid.

any suggestions ideas?? flaws in my thinking?
the major reason i think of this is that it seems our diffs are junk and i want to keep this (a 4x4 truck) until the wheel rust off in 20 years or so. I don't want to replace the front diff for $5k in 3 years (the way i put miles on warranty will be up by then). Any thoughts on the possibility of a replacement front diff coming out for us that would be cost effective and would make me want to keep the X for the long term?

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
silverflash said:
I have a 2007 S 4x4. 24k almost 25k miles on it and bought new by me. I drive it mainly to work/back/vacations etc and it sees some sand a few times a year at the outerbanks/ft fisher, maybe more this year since i want to do more surf fishing, and it might see some trails in uhwarrie national forest. Nothing crazy, just the easy ones. There are no other places close by i can take it to use the 4x4 besides uhwarrie and the beaches of NC. My question is this: should I ditch it in favor of a new jeep wrangler unlimited? I want it to last and I don't want to blow a diff doing an easy trail at uhwarrie at 101,000 miles and be on the hook to pay. My warranty is out to 100k. I need something that can carry 5 adults, the unlimted wrangler can, that is 4x4, that will last. I test drove the jeep and it's a slug but other than that looks solid.

any suggestions ideas?? flaws in my thinking?
the major reason i think of this is that it seems our diffs are junk and i want to keep this (a 4x4 truck) until the wheel rust off in 20 years or so. I don't want to replace the front diff for $5k in 3 years (the way i put miles on warranty will be up by then). Any thoughts on the possibility of a replacement front diff coming out for us that would be cost effective and would make me want to keep the X for the long term?
I also want something just as good as the X off-road if not better, in the same price range.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
When you wheel, things break, a Jeep is no exception. Hell, my 03 Rubicon is broke more often than running.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
At around 85K take the X out for a super wheeling event and try and destroy the diffs... If they break, you have new ones that will last (and probably better options then), if they dont blow... then you know they wont ever!

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Not to sound like a tool. But it seems like every other month you start a thread just like this. But then you end up saying all you want to do is mild wheeling, maybe the beach or a local dirt road or two. So my question is this. Dont ask us for permission dude! Just go buy a jeep already!

·
on line
3,262 Posts
mcampana said:
Not to sound like a tool. But it seems like every other month you start a thread just like this. But then you end up saying all you want to do is mild wheeling, maybe the beach or a local dirt road or two. So my question is this. Dont ask us for permission dude! Just go buy a jeep already!
F**king tool!!! :drunken:

·
on line
145 Posts
Personally I don't think there is anything out there right now that matches the Xterra. With the mileage you do it wouldn't take long and you'll find yourself hating the Jeep for it's on road manners. The only other choice is a FJ Cruiser and they have their own problems.

·
on line
20 Posts
From the Jeep side, I know LOTS of people who have broken things on Jeeps. Heck, I broke a fair share of my own. (Ever have a spring shackle mount rip right off the frame? I've done 3)

Nothing is foolproof.

While the running gear of the Jeeps today are pretty solid, the cabins are not nearly the comfort of the X let alone any of a bunch of vehicles in the same price range.

As was stated above, you need to make your decision. Frankly I'd not get all that hung up on what 'might' happen. For all the busted differentials I've seen mentioned, you really have NO IDEA how the vehicle was being used on a general basis.

In my first Jeep, I was hearing all these stories about what I'll break with 33" tires and I had all kinds of spare parts to handle them. Never broke any of them. But then I wasn't the type to hammer stuff. I'd ease it and use throttle only when needed.

Is it something to keep in your head? sure. Is it something to lose sleep about? Nope.

·
on line
45 Posts
Wow, to think about choosing a jeep over a nissan for reliability... I kinda thought it was common sense that nissans last a lot longer...

I run cars harder than most people, farther faster etc, and I haven't had a problem yet with my X. I killed my escape, I've killed rental cars, and I've definitely killed a wrangler and a cherokee (don't ask). All in 5 years.

Regardless of how much wheeling you do, I'd stick with the nissan. Taking MILD wheeling into account, I'd stick with the Xterra, you didn't get an OR, you don't need it, you said so yourself.

Maybe I'm just being an ass because our experiences are different, but if I were you I'd stick to the xterra.

I just passed the 20k mi mark, I bought mine new at the end of May this past year (07). I know where you're coming from with it.

If this post seems disjointed, it's because I'm taking breaks to write it, sorry.

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i appreciate the conversation. i'm a hyper-paranoid type. what might happens seems to happen to me. that's why the jeeps lifetime warranty looks good. i just don't want to be outta warranty and then wham something happens to break because I am driving on the beach or just driving on the road. how fragile are the diffs? I am not crazy and don't do stupid things with the truck but I just want to make sure I have the right horse for my mild off-roading i will do and do do.

the X has been pretty good to this point. Just don't want any expensive breakages for doing no more than riding a dune at the beach driving like an old geezer...

·
on line
3,272 Posts
i say just trade it in. i sincerely mean no offense at all but you really dont sound like you will even enjoy off-roading in your Xterra because of your concerns. i mean one thing is to be smart out there but i can really picture your own paranoia ruining your experience.

if there is still 0 percent apr or the lifetime warranty, drop off the xterra and pick up a rubicon unlimited. that way you wont even have to worry about adding any aftermarket parts to the truck and you will be able to go out and enjoy off roading with a little piece of mind.

btw: i love taking these oppurtunities to look over the author's signature to see if there is anything that might interest me. before you drop off your xterra how about giving me a deal for those timbrens? the dealer doesnt have to know......

:cheers:

·
on line
122 Posts
I had the Rubicon in my link below (thats my silver Jeep) with the mods listed in the post, great off road - driving it on road was painful/annoying and sold it to buy the X. Don't do it, the X is far better for what you (and I) need, if a diff breaks (which in all likelihood won't) you'll deal with it but you will enjoy your X much more before and after such an incident. Relax and enjoy your Xterra, it's a wonderful vehicle.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1562

·
on line
53 Posts
I had a weak moment yesterday and started thinking again about buying a Jeep instead of an X. I have calmed down and looked at my needs realistically. I am back on the X. Or maybe a 4X4 Pathfinder S
Bottom line, this will be my daily driver and I need reliable and semi decent mpg. I did not, nor do I plan to, do a lot of rock crawling, but more like desert trips that require some clearance to get out of Dodge. If I was looking for a second vehicle or lived a lot closer to work, then it would be a lot closer race. I am speaking from experience, so I did not have to think too hard to come to my conclusion. The D90 would have been a great 2nd car (DD from 95/97) and my 79 CJ5 (DD for 3 months) both were great at what they were designed for, but they are definately one trick ponies.

·
on line
1,206 Posts
You are not going to break a diff. Period. The X FAR Exceeds the Jeep in reliability and daily drive ability. If you were more into heavy rock crawling then hell yes the Rubi is far better but for every other purpose, the X is in favor. But then again this is just my opinion, buy what you want.

·
on line
230 Posts
The exploding diffs WILL HAPPEN, it is only a matter of when. While the JK has had alot of early production issues, they cant compare to the devistating problems with the Xterra and related costs. I have quit wheeling instead of investing in a SAS for the Xterra, then wait for an ARB for the back. A RUbicon is in my future as well, just waiting to see if the 09 offers more then the mini van engine.

Those that think the X is more reliable then a Jeep can also look to the older Xterra models...shockingly brittle.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Okay lloyd we all feel your pain.... most of us are familiar with your situation, but if you only put your truck into 4wd every once in a while just to play in the sand, i highly doubt the diffs will explode.

But hey, nobody knows for sure!

·
on line
2,248 Posts
lloyd Swartz said:
The exploding diffs WILL HAPPEN, it is only a matter of when.
Ugh... not again.

Lloyd has a right to be upset and he is getting the shaft from the company that builds the rigs that we all love.

However, you are not driving around on two ticking time bombs. Yes there have been some documented failures but don't let the paranoia run rampant.

·
on line
1,054 Posts
every vehicle has issues, some xterras have problems and some don't..i feel totally confident in my X and if something should happen, well, then i'll deal with it. i sold my wrangler and am more happy with my X

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: There is no way, I can approach this kind of comfort, in a JEEP/TOYOTA/GM/CHRYSTLER/FORD or any other SUV, it's what YOU want for comfort and investment, there is no GUARANTEE, just WARRANTY's--

--

--This Nissan, is unbeatable, for freeway safety/comfort good mileage, great off-road ability--

--It boils down, to YOU have to decide, what YOU WANT --

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
2,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for all your comments guys. it does help by giving me a reality check....

so plan is:

run at the beach a few times this year - hatteras/ft fisher/carolina beach
run at uhwarrie a couple times - easy trails only.
keep the X:
way more power than the jeep
better gas mileage.
bigger inside it seems for cargo etc....
better on-road driver.
dream of one day having a good aftermarket replacement for any potential front diff failure, that is inexpensive...

-Bill

1 - 20 of 34 Posts