Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Should I Buy? Rust level of 2015 Pro-4X

4K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Tlrtucker 
#1 ·
So I'm looking at buying this 2015 Xterra. First of all this is only my second vehicle ever so I don't have much experience to go on. My main question for you all is about the level of rust. Should I be concerned? Also, it looks like that exhaust pipe is cracked. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
It’s hard to tell it the frame has been protected with Fluidfilm or similar or if they’ve pained over rust. The rusty driveshaft, leaf springs, and exhaust aren’t that concerning to me assuming something was used to preserve the frame. The exhaust pipe doesn’t look cracked to me but there is an aluminum heat shield that looks like a crack.

Upon further inspection it looks like they may have painted it. There’s over spray on the muffler, shock, and maybe cat. It could be fluidfilm black. But something seems off.

#3 ·
Watch locations of responses. Some people live in rust free areas and will think anything is excessive.
Being that you are Canadian, you have compare to what is around you.
The shine you see is not normal. Someone sprays something. The question is if it is a preservative, or a disguise? Can't tell from the pictures.

#5 ·
I grew up in the rust belt - where I learned how to work on cars and every bolt needed to be coaxed out with a torch. 25 years ago I moved to the South, and I won't do snow ever again unless I am sightseeing and I won't own a rusty car ever again.

Having said that - its obvious they painted / coated many of the parts. They may have been trying to protect things, or they may have been trying to cover stuff up. About all you can do is probe around in places where salt congregates - like under the rocker panels, or just under the front lip of the hood, or behind the rubber screw in fender liners. If you look under those areas and its rusty odds are good its lived a hard life. However 6 years in the salt will take it toll no matter how diligent the owner was.

#10 ·
Alright thanks for the feedback guys. After doing some image searching I think Brunnie is correct the Krown stuff does seem to have that sticky glossy finish to it. Although that type of undercoating is apparently one of the worst kinds because it can trap moisture. I'm going to inspect on Saturday so I will check out the places idn88 and MartinX suggested.

#8 ·
Looks a bit glossy under there to be some sort of rust preventative/neutralizer paint. All the rust paint I've seen and used has a dull primer finish that you can either leave alone or spray chassis black over it. I suspect that is just regular spray paint.

Reactions: ontarioX
#9 ·
You can see black overspray on the rear shocks, it's clearly been painted or sealed. That's not necessarily a bad thing but could be covering things up. If it were a 2010 or older I wouldn't worry about it, but on a 6 year old rig, I'd look elsewhere, definitely out of the rust belt area.

#17 ·
Being that they are in Canada, that would require a trip to the southern part of the united states and having to import a vehicle across the boarder. That typically isn't a realistic thing to do. If you are in Canada, you shop for vehicles that are already in Canada, which means your options are rust belt, or rust belt.

#11 ·
Krown will not trap moisture. But a hasty cosmetic paint-over job can trap moisture.

Krown rust treatment is a pinkish red in colour. From what I believe I observe, that is paint or similar, not a Krown rust application.

If you have an opportunity, explore with a sharp metal object (skinning knife, screw driver). If you discover painted over rust, use that as a pretext to negotiate the sales price lower. Perhaps a couple of thousand lower.

A rusted exhaust system consists of wear items. Not a biggie.

If you do buy, make a habit of spray-washing under the Xterra every 2 to 4 weeks during the winter months. And then get a Krown treatment during the hot summer months.

#13 ·
Update #2. According to the mechanic who looked at it he is pretty sure it is a rubberized undercoating with the krown/fluid film type oil spray over top. Therefore I will not be buying. If anyone reading this in the future wants to know why watch this video

#15 ·
Just a clarification point Krown/FluidFilm are not rubberized coatings. They are a think lanolin oil based products that stick to parts to prevent moisture and salt from attacking metals. They are not permanent coatings and must be reapplied annually as they wash/sling off. They are very effective if reapplied annually, as I understand it.

That being said if that X has been sprayed with an unknown rubberized coating, I agree that passing is probably the best choice.

Edit: reading is helpful. I missed the part where the mechanic says it’s both.

#19 ·
To me... If the frame and crossmembers have some surface rust that isn't a problem. A little surface rust never hurt no one. But if you have areas that are rusted through and/or cracking then that is a problem. Rust isn't that huge of a deal breaker to me. Nothing a grinder with a wire wheel and some wire brushes can't handle. If it looks to be in a good condition otherwise i would say go for it. Spend some time getting as much rust off and seal the whole underbody the RIGHT way.
Here in Florida I am no stranger to rust due to the salty air and rain. If done right you can get a GREAT deal with the seller and make a great truck or car out of the deal. I know you already said you weren't buying but just something to think about.

#22 ·
Importing vehicles from the states is a PITA and more expensive, with duty, taxes, and crap exchange, and they're not worth as much here because the history is not typical. (like importing from south america for you guys)
Also their spedometers are funny and no one likes that.

On another note, I'd rather that they not cover up the rust, I'd prefer to see what it's really got, but nothing wrong with this truck, 2 years from now all that stuff will be off. This is nothing out of the ordinary for the salty north.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.