Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a suv to tow my motorcycle and for my mountain bike. I have always liked the look of the x but have never driven one. It will be driven 95% of the time on pavement. Could I live with it on a day to day basis? I hear the highway ride is rough and there is an issue with the steering? Are these true? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Haven't heard many issues about steering. Highway is all right on stock springs, but if you're towing I would advise adding some airbags or helper springs to the rear suspension, or even something like a Roadmaster Active Suspension kit (which will also improve the highway ride unladen). The rear springs aren't very strong, just enough to keep the back end up.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I don't think I have ever heard of a steering issue in the X, and highway ride is just fine. It does get pushed around in high winds at speed. It will easily meet your towing and carrying requirements. If you like everything else about the X, get it.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
The rear suspension is really weak and doesnt handle loads or towing well
You need airbags to firm up the rear and make the ride better

I don't think I have ever heard of a steering issue in the X, and highway ride is just fine. It does get pushed around in high winds at speed. It will easily meet your towing and carrying requirements. If you like everything else about the X, get it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I use my 2013 pro-4x as my daily driver. Most of my time driving is spent in a major city, split between freeway and stoplights. Freeway driving is very comfortable with a nice upright driving position and a stable ride. There is plenty of acceleration for merging and passing. It isn't a sports car so expect body roll and low grip. The only thing I don't like, but understood before buying my x, is the gas mileage. You pay to play, however.

·
on line
3,217 Posts
It all depends on what you are looking for. If you want a nice SUV with some decent towing then this is good for you. It gets sort of good gas mileage. I did have 6 lights on the top of my truck when I had it so I only averaged about 14 mpg in the city. I do have kind of a lead foot you know but it's pretty good.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm glad I bought my 2011-X. I think one would work well for what your looking for. The Xterra is a SUV not a crossover so it will ride a bit more like a truck than a crossover but it's much smoother than the SUVs of old. The steering issue you mention is probably a warning about solid front axle vehicles which the X is not. The rear leaf springs do leave a bit to be desired and definitely need to be upgraded for heavy towing (2500# - 5000#) but towing your motorcycle, utility trailers/boats, mountain bikes, etc. shouldn't be an issue.

I realize that I've only bought and driven framed SUVs for more than 20 years but I find the Xterra to have lots of peep and is down right fun to drive at normal street speeds (note: stick driver).

Scott

·
Registered
506 Posts
There are some great tow rigs... the X can handle a couple motorcycles.

If you haven't driven one, I suggest you do so... best to make sure it's what you want or not first-hand.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I am looking for a suv to tow my motorcycle and for my mountain bike. I have always liked the look of the x but have never driven one. It will be driven 95% of the time on pavement. Could I live with it on a day to day basis? I hear the highway ride is rough and there is an issue with the steering? Are these true? Thanks!
Its a great daily driver (I commute 50 miles a day) provided you know what you are getting into. 1) Its a truck based SUV and 2) Though not terrible on gas, its not a miser either, I avg 20mpg combined.

I'm also an avid mountain biker and have a motorcycle that I (rarely) will transport.

The practical side in me wishes I went for something like a Mazda CX-5 or a Subby. Better on gas, better handling, good for the bikes, almost as much interior space and in a pinch could travel trailer the motorcycle.

That said I love the X - I've invested in it (financially and emotionally) and plan on keeping it till the wheels fall off.

If you like the looks of the X and are fine having a true SUV it'll serve you well. Hopefully you'll be getting a good deal with an '11. But to be fair, there are more "practical" options out there.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I hear the highway ride is rough and there is an issue with the steering?
Funny.. when I got my X, I thought it drove more like a car than a truck on the highway, not rough and I didn't feel like it needed manhandling to steer. I had driven them around town, test driving, but the 2 hour drive back from San Diego was a pleasant surprise. Mine is a 2005 OR.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Went to stealership to take them up on free oil change and lowered pressure in firestone airbags to 10 psa as it would be on lift. I had forgotten how bad the ride is without the airbags. Never will I buy a leaf spring vehicle again

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Went to stealership to take them up on free oil change and lowered pressure in firestone airbags to 10 psa as it would be on lift. I had forgotten how bad the ride is without the airbags. Never will I buy a leaf spring vehicle again
The answer to every Xterra question... two words: Air. Bags.

Seriously man, do you hate trucks or just the Xterra you bought?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Love well-designed thought out trucks. Don't hate the X just not overly impressed. Thankfully it has proven reliable. Many of those here who think the X is great are young and have never owned/experienced other SUV's. Those who have realize the X is a good effort but is lacking in many areas. Would I buy another? Probably not unless the Nissan folks make some serious changes.

The answer to every Xterra question... two words: Air. Bags.

Seriously man, do you hate trucks or just the Xterra you bought?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thank you Mr. GreenXman, seriously I love being called young, just wish I felt that way.

Please provide a list of all your SUV's that you think drive better than your X. My experience over the last 30+ years of framed SUV/4wd ownership has been opposite yours. But seriously, you may be driving a better class of vehicles or maybe sacrificing capability for ride.

Scott

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Right off the bat my 94 Trooper rode much better and had far more travel than the x. With rancho shocks it had a firm highway ride and handled bumps to the point you could ignore speed humps. More room in the cargo area, more rear seat room and more headroom in front-could wear a hat cant in the x. Spare tire on door whereit should be. Locking fuel door etc. skid plates included. The X gets better MPG but has far less utility. The mid 90's Monteros were more practical than the x as well. dont get me wrong the X is okay. It just be be so much better if nissan designers/ enginers truly undrstand how people use an suv. Including a battery that isnt maintenance free is pathetic in 2011.

QUOTE=Scott Farris;1205433]Thank you Mr. GreenXman, seriously I love being called young, just wish I felt that way.

Please provide a list of all your SUV's that you think drive better than your X. My experience over the last 30+ years of framed SUV/4wd ownership has been opposite yours. But seriously, you may be driving a better class of vehicles or maybe sacrificing capability for ride.

Scott[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
385 Posts
Mr. GreenXman, Thanks for following up. I agree 100% on hats, I like full brimmed hats and the head rests in my X have prevented me from wearing them. I personally have very little experience with Monteros but I'm aware they had a good reputation. Know where to pick up a recent manufacture Montero? I'm trying to remember my buddies trooper and what time frame it was, sometime in the 90's. I personally was not impressed with it but he may have gotten it with a gutless smaller motor.

Further notes on your comments, I hate spares on the doors unless you can swing them past winch towers on boat trailers. I need full access to the back while trailering. Batteries? to me they are incidentals and I've never gotten less than 7 years out of a factory battery including my Nissan Pathfinder, but for the price of a battery I'm not going to recommend or not recommend a vehicle. Additionally in my mind the X is an inexpensive SUV, I got my 11 Pro-4X off the lot in 2010 for the same price I got my 2002 Pathfinder SE in 2001. Not sure what other framed SUV manual transmission is out there in the price range. With the savings, I can afford a battery if necessary. Now I do hate the fact my mirrors are not heated and eventually I will upgrade, just haven't scheduled it yet.

The X is roughly the same size & wt as my 2002 Pathy and they have wrung even more ponies out of the motor. They have given me a 6th gear to play with. Like the pathy, the pro-4X came with "tote road" level skids. No they are not up to serious rock crawling but unlike the pathfinder, serious skids and sliders are available as bolt on upgrades. I said you may have been in a better class of SUVs, ever drive a 90's S-10? Rig would jar your fillings out, well anyway let's say it rode like a truck. I had fun with them but they don't compare to either of my Nissans.

Scott

ps: slovakXcanadian that's because you got heated mirrors.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Just did a 3000mile road trip. The only thing I dislike about my X is the transmission tunnel is right where my right foot should go. Only nissan would make a truck more comfortable not using cruise control.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts