Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i went on a joy ride with the kids yesterday after our hike in the woods. i went to this fishing spot below an old spillway/dam and to get to below the dam, you have to go down a steep dirt road. Last time i went down and back up this hill was in 1997 or so. Anyhow, it has gotten way worse since then, back then, i had a 96 nissan pickud 2wd and made it up no problem. Anyhow, this time around, it was way more rutted and rocky. down was easy and i could feel the abs working. up was a pain and I slipped a bunch but made it nonetheless. I kept it in 2wd because at the top of the hill is a 90 degree turn that you gotta take and i was worried that if i was in 4wd, the friction/binding at the top/turn would maybe be a bad thing. anyhow, should i have gone into 4x4 even with the hard 90 degree turn right at the top of the hill???

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Kinda like afterthought, but

--Any time you recognize a (potential) need for your 4wd-USE IT--

--You don't have diff. locking capability, so 90 degree turns can be handled easily, BUT GENTLY--

--4wd, is BEST engaged, BEFORE trouble, just always be GENTLE, it saves parts--

-- :geek: :geek: ---JIMBO

·
on line
564 Posts
...and...4lo would've been helpful going down the hill...wouldn't have used near as much abs.

Rob

·
on line
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, i think you guys are right. Next time, I will use 4low to just creep down and up it. I don't get many opportunities to use 4x4 around here, darnit!!

when i got down there, there were a bunch of guys on the bank, shirts off (it's janurary here in NC and was like 67 degrees!!!). they had a big old chevy cammo painted blaze or surburban. I think they might have been drinking, not sure. I merely turned around, and went back up the hill in 2wd. it spun alittle but it was a good test of the abls system. I think i will go back that way once i get my concealed handgun permit and the matching handgun. it's in the middle of nowhere and there are always kids there.. but it's a good fishing spot.... and only accesible via 4x4... anybody here want to go check it out that lives in the raleigh area???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts