Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
on line
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my driving lights that I have installed on my bull-bar that have worked for 3 months suddenly stopped working right after going through a touchless car wash. This is the first time i have used a car wash with this truck.. anyhow, the 15 amp fuse blew. i replaced the fuse, and the lights flickered on, off, on, zappppp. Blew again. I checked grounds, wire connections etc... I even took apart the lights no water in there... i don't remember but i think it blew again after i re-installed the lens/lights.... replaced the fuse and i pushed on the one ground wire i didn't check.... now they work. when they are on, i pulled/wiggled on that one wire and nothing changes, still works.... any ideas??? that ground "should" be good. But checking means taking off tape etc.... which is ok, but just wanted to ask you guys while i was at work... could it be a little water vapor causing the short INSIDE the lamps?? and it cleared when i opened them? Or is that sci-fi?

thanks

·
on line
1,574 Posts
sounds like a short to me.
and it should have been water proof, if installed correctly
and did you get the proper rating of fuse?

·
on line
1,739 Posts
15A fuse is good for 150 watts worth of light.

The fuse is normally about 20% bigger than the load. 13.6 volts x 15 amps equals 204 watts minus 20% is 163 watts.

·
on line
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, but where. I checked everywhere. Only thing I can think of is maybe inside the lamps. maybe the ground and the power touched?? But I didn't see anything indicating arcing... It has worked fine since i opened up the lamps and reset them...

anyhow, i just ordered the oem fog lights and am going to install them. Plan is to do away with the bull-bar since it does interfere slightly with my approach angle and i miss my front plate and tow hook.. I probably will keep these lights on but move them up to the grill. I saw a howto on here about attaching them to the grill. Wonder if my alternator can handle all 6 lights being on at once? 2 oem fogs, 2 headlights, 2 driving lights............ should be great for the beach at night....

:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts