Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I bought my 2006 Xterra (6MT + 4WD) new off the lot back in 06. I believe S trim? I just remember I had to special order it to get the MT above a base model. It now has 151k miles, no rust, 30k on clutch, 15k on 2yo Michelin Defender LTX's, only mods are Timbren SES, hi-flow upstream cats, deleted downstream cats replaced with glasspacks , still using stock muffler. Factory running boards, flaps, luggage cover, and tow package. Paint is "Granite" I think. Nothing wrong with it at all, all oils and driveline fluids meticulously maintained by factory recommended intervals. I have a truck now, and I have been debating about selling the Xterra.

I am absolutely shocked by the abysmally low private party value estimate on KBB. It says $2,733 - $4,544, with "Very Good" for my options being $3,639. Now, if I re-run it with automatic, it goes up to $3,223 - $5,034 or $4,129 for "very good", which is stupid because there is no reason why an automatic would make a 2nd gen Xterra more valuable. NADA shows "clean retail" at $6,425 (or $6,575 if it were AT.) For those numbers, I'll stuff the thing in my basement and sit on it until armageddon.

Question is-- what is a realistic estimation of value for this vehicle? It is almost impossible to find a 2nd gen for sale anywhere with a 6MT-- does rarity necessarily make that an asset, and am I justified in blowing past KBB in asking price?
Thanks guys
Dave
Spartanburg, SC

·
Registered
147 Posts
Shocked by low KBB resale values-- does 6MT+4WD justify asking above KBB?

I would say it's more about the MT being less valuable than the AT being more valuable. KBB likely takes into consideration the version that more consumers are likely to seek out, and other than a few rare birds like us, more folks want autos, there was a reason your MT was a special order item, the MT is a dying "skill" if you will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
246 Posts

You’re not going to want to hear this but rarity has nothing to do with value. In fact, in this case the manual makes it less valuable because fewer and fewer people know how, much less want, to drive one. Now, there are people out there seeking manual X’s (myself being one when I bought) but that doesn’t make them more valuable. I’d say $4,000-$4,500 is roughly what your looking at for a fair value. For reference, I bought my 2011 6MT with 121,000 miles on it for $9,000 OTD in October of 2018 in Rock Hill, SC (so same region).

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
You’re not going to want to hear this but rarity has nothing to do with value. In fact, in this case the manual makes it less valuable because fewer and fewer people know how, much less want, to drive one. .
HOWEVER..... if you advertise it for sale you could say that it comes with a "factory installed anti-theft device" (a manual transmission). :laugh:

Actually Zane is right. So few people know how to drive a manual that even semis now come with automatci transmissions.

·
Registered
147 Posts

Yeah.. generally Nissans are not known for their high resale values whereas a very used 2002 Toyota Tacoma with unmatched wheels with 700K miles is still going for $1,000,000. =)

True story, I traded my 2002 Tacoma TRD Off road 4 door in for my Xterra, I paid $12k out the door for the Tacoma and it had 150k on it, when I traded it they gave me $10k and it had 220k on the odometer. I love my X, but trading that Tacoma is a regret I have to this day.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yeah.. generally Nissans are not known for their high resale values whereas a very used 2002 Toyota Tacoma with unmatched wheels with 700K miles is still going for $1,000,000. =)
That always confused me. So far *knocks on wood* mine has been perfectly reliable. More capable and seems more powerful than a 4runner. I understand why other nissans have terrible resale, basically anything with a cvt transmission, but not the x. I am pretty biased though as my 4runner was nicknamed a 4stopper cause the thing was so unreliable and constantly breaking down.

I've only owned 1 auto and that was for 6 months. Now living in LA, I understand why you would want an auto for daily driving.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
If it looks great I bet you could get $6000 for it.......

When I was looking I would have paid that. I prefer manual....provided it all looks good.
Sub $5-6k 4wd with under 200k miles are hard to find around my area.

I almost paid $10k for an 07 Tahoe with 150k miles, a cracked dash, loud a****d exhaust and nonfunctional climate control but they wouldn't budge below $11k.
Thankfully, I found my clean, stock, '12 P4X with 113k for only $1000 more.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. Sometimes I forget that *I'm* the oddball for wanting the manual to begin with. Maybe 4 times in the last 13 years I've had mechanics, detailers etc say "aww man, you got the stick, awesome, never saw one in an Xterra" etc and I guess I took that to mean it was at least as desirable as it's always been to me! (Side note, I run Redline MT-90 manual trans oil, changed every 40k... still shifts like new, or really better than new because it was super annoyingly tight when I first got it.) I reinforced my bias when SMOD became a thing with the autos. That, and some part of me will always think it's still a $26,000 vehicle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This!!!

The complete shock I was hit with when I went looking for a 4runner is exactly why I have an Xterra. I'm willing to pay for quality, but I'm not ok with being thrown over a barrel and raped. Perhaps the 4runner is superior, I don't know...I *do* know it's not $7-10k superior for any given model year. Thank you to Nissan for a great vehicle and a reasonable(ish) price.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Exactly 2 years ago I paid $4800 cash for my 2005 Xterra S Automatic w/ 125,000 miles... it was bone stock but already had the radiator issue fixed. If that helps at all. I think a lot of it has to do with the used 4x4 market in your area... if you find the right buyer you could get $5-6K plus for it if they know what they are buying. I'd pay good money for your vehicle if I needed it at the moment... but I know what it is and how valuable (to people like us) it is. Others might just see it as "not a 4runner"...

I've put some money into my X in upgrades... lift, tires, stereo, etc.. and it needs things here and there but overall I'm happy and get nauseous thinking about paying $40k + for a new 4runner... makes me appreciate my used Xterra every time I drive it...

You'll have to do your research and see what used Xterra's are going for in your area.. you may be surprised... or disappointed ...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Have you also considered checking out other locales to list it? You might get a better price listing it further in the north east. I spent almost 7 months looking and found my ‘12 6spd man over 500 miles away from me in NY in Pittsburgh. You just may find that special someone willing to travel for your vehicle knowing it’s not from the salt belt. I know I would.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Have you also considered checking out other locales to list it? You might get a better price listing it further in the north east. I spent almost 7 months looking and found my ‘12 6spd man over 500 miles away from me in NY in Pittsburgh. You just may find that special someone willing to travel for your vehicle knowing it’s not from the salt belt. I know I would.

This is good advice... the next X I buy when I hand my 05 over to my son in a few years... will be from somewhere that doesn't see salt... to find one that hasn't seen salt.. we live in the rust belt... right outside Pittsburgh... and some of these vehicles are in terrible shape....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to the Xterra world from an immediate owner perspective (wife's car since 2011 now mine, so long time listener first time caller). A good portion of the depreciation is driven by newer body styles and trim levels. I bought a 2005 Frontier in 2010 for 15,500 (30k miles). In 2015 I traded it in for 10k (110k miles). The body style here hasn't changed in 15 years to date, so that helped. On the other hand, 3.5 years ago I bought my G37x for 23,300 (24k miles) and just traded it in for 7500 (88k miles). A big factor there is that there has been multiple body style changes and name changes that largely affected its value.

With the above in consideration, one would think the Xterra would help retain its value since they did not produce another body style, but they also don't make it anymore. As previously stated, many Nissans do not hold their value. While KBB is usually lower than NADA, nearly all private party purchasers will use KBB as a reference point to see if the seller has priced the vehicle accordingly. Dealers have overhead to take into consideration, which is why they typically sell higher than private party (not to mention they use Blackbook).

Of all the vehicles I have ever sold/purchased (FWIW I know people tend to amplify their abilities on the internet and not trying to do so myself), I only ever see private party sellers mention the NADA price, solely due to being slightly higher. Of those I interacted with, mentioning the KBB price in negotiations they would always immediately align to that price scale. I have only sold one vehicle well above KBB, and the main factor here was the meticulous records kept by the owner of all service ever performed since purchased brand new. All service was dealer performed, too which means the world to the right buyer.

Not knowing your current vehicle, other than mileage and S trim (is that lower mid-level trim in 2006?), I would personally find it difficult to ask more than top level KBB pricing. But hey, if you find the right buyer then more power to you!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here in Canada I can see that prices on X's are no longer going down cause of rarity.
If they could stop putting salt on our horrible roads (especially in Quebec...)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts