Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
on line
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front shock bushings on my 2006 base model X (2WD) have started squeaking when going over small bumps or even when I get out of it. I can see the rubber bushing material "squishing out" from around the bolt at the bottom end front shocks. The bushings for the rear shocks look okay. All of the shocks are the originals. I have just over 230000 miles on it, from new. I don't go off-roading with it.

A local garage was going to charge me almost $1300 to change all four shocks, KYB in the rear and "some new brand they are trying out" in the front. They said that the other suspension bushing and the tie rod ends looked good.

I measured the wheelarch heights and got around 32 1/2" at the front (33" spec) and around 33 1/2" at the rear (33 1/2" spec) with 265/70R16 tires installed (stock size). I tried pushing down on each corner of the vehicle to look for bounce but the suspension is so stiff that I only get about 1/2" of movement. I don't get any bouncing when I hit a bump while driving.

Do I have to change all the shocks or can I just change the bushings for the front ones? I didn't find much on here about replacing just the bushings. If I do change the shocks, how are the KYB's? I am considering a set of KYB's because I can get a coilover assembly from Rock Auto for less than the cost of a shock and a coil. I only found one post where someone didn't like their KYB's and one where they did like them. Otherwise, it seems that most of the comments have been about Bilsteins or some performance type.

·
on line
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
An update. I just finished replacing all 4 shocks because the bushings at the bottom of the front ones were worn and were squeaking on any small bump. I got KYB's from Rock Auto. It was cheaper and easier to get the whole coil-over assembly. Disassemble one corner at a time unless you can afford to go without your X for several days. One of coil-over assemblies was assembled incorrectly so I returned it and got a replacement. When the top end was aligned, the bottom end was twisted relative to the bracket on the control arm. None of the coil compressors from Harbor Freight or that the auto parts stores had for loan would fit between the coils. I ended up using some scraps of plywood, the old coil-over and the old bottom bolt to make a jig to ensure that the replacement coil-over would fit before I tore the other side apart.

In some other thread, someone recommended going to Firestone to get their lifetime alignment for $200. That was a good idea because the X now sits higher, changing the camber. I will go back after the springs settle and have them tweak it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts