Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the OME lift springs and did not have an issue with vibration. When I added the lift shackles I started to notice the small vibration at around 35-40ish. I have contemplated the shim install, but by most instructions of adding the shim with the thick end forward would actually further angle the pumpkin up. This in my mind would actually throw it further out of alignment with the transmission angle. I would think that I would need to put the thick end towards the rear so that I can angle the pumpkin down a little.

Any input is appreciated.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
18 Posts
Generally, your pinion flange and transmission yolk should be as close to parallel as possible. What are your angles measuring currently?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I installed the OME lift springs and did not have an issue with vibration. When I added the lift shackles I started to notice the small vibration at around 35-40ish. I have contemplated the shim install, but by most instructions of adding the shim with the thick end forward would actually further angle the pumpkin up. This in my mind would actually throw it further out of alignment with the transmission angle. I would think that I would need to put the thick end towards the rear so that I can angle the pumpkin down a little.

Any input is appreciated.
View attachment 139646
But really, don’t overthink it… install the “vibration curing shims” the way the manufacture engineered them to be and you’ll be fine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Generally, your pinion flange and transmission yolk should be as close to parallel as possible. What are your angles measuring currently?
I am not sure how to measure the angles. But here is a best guess pic of what angles I see.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am not sure how to measure the angles. But here is a best guess pic of what angles I see.

Harbor freight sells a magnetic angle finder that is perfect for measuring these angles. Typically, these angles should be within .5*-3* of eachother. The xterra has been out for a long time. If I’m experiences the same 35-45mph that everyone else does after lifting, and the shims eliminate it, I would be installing IAW the Manufacture’s instructions and not thinking too much about it.

·
Registered
18 Posts

If memory serves me correct, a CV style driveshaft, like in the picture, should have as close to 0* angle difference on the end that the CV is installed, in this case being the the pinion side. So yes, shimming the pinion up to match the angle of the DS makes sense. If it was a dual U-Joint shaft it would be different.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If memory serves me correct, a CV style driveshaft, like in the picture, should have as close to 0* angle difference on the end that the CV is installed, in this case being the the pinion side. So yes, shimming the pinion up to match the angle of the DS makes sense. If it was a dual U-Joint shaft it would be different.
Thank you. This clears everything up for me. I was not aware of the difference in alignment for CV and dual u-joint. I did a bit of googling and I am satisfied. Thank you for the info and new knowledge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts