Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
on line
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Instead of PMing everyone, I figured I'd throw this out there for all to chime in.

This is for the PRG rear shackle, Bilstien 5125 and rear Deaver owners.

With the shackle height, how do you suggest going? I'm of the opinion that my vibrations @ 30-40 mph are a little more than an annoyance. Its not violent, but man, sounds like a sub woofer bustin throughout the truck.

Also, would that height have an effect on driveshaft angle, or is that solely dependant on the Add a Leafs?

I'm just wondering if I drop the New PRG shackle down a bit, that will help with lessening the vibration. I currently have it set to the 2nd highest hole.

Also, from one of the shops around here, I can get a 2 degree or 4 degree shim that they have instock. I thought I read on a post that some may require 4 degree. Do you know if I should specifically get a 3 degree shim made or is there no harm with a 4 degree shim? I know many specify 3 degree.

Thanks all!

·
on line
1,149 Posts
I had Greg ride in my truck and he said mine was not driveline vibrations. it was probably just resonance from having stiffer everything. I still think ill get a small degree shim and see if i can eliminate it. I dont think it will hurt. he did say driveline vibrations came from the rearward area. is this true with the people who are experiencing these vibes?

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Off the top--

--Driveline vibrations cause--

--1)-U-joint failure
--2)-Diff. pinion seal failure
--3)-Diff. failure
--4)-Xmission output shaft seal failure
--5)-leaf spring shackle failure--

--Thats far enough, but there's more !!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
xterra3100 said:
I had Greg ride in my truck and he said mine was not driveline vibrations. it was probably just resonance from having stiffer everything.
Bro, I can say with confidence that this is not enhanced road noise from a newer stiffer suspension.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
JIMBO said:
:clown: Off the top--

--Driveline vibrations cause--

--1)-U-joint failure
--2)-Diff. pinion seal failure
--3)-Diff. failure
--4)-Xmission output shaft seal failure
--5)-leaf spring shackle failure--
that sucks! anyone here have any of the following above happen after their install?

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: I didn't really want to say this, but

--There is ONE FINAL tragic end result, of excessive drive line vibration--

--Some of you may know/remember, that in DRAG racing, cars not rails, have a safety requirement item it is--

--Rear Driveshaft SAFTY LOOP , this little gem holds the driveshaft UP in case of, FRONT U-JOINT FAILURE, because--

--When the front u-joint fails, the drive shaft drops down and CATAPULTS THE VEHICLE END OVER END OVER END-AD INFINITUM, RESULTING IN--

--TOTAL VEHICLE LOSS, MAYBE BODY COUNT--

--This is not a DOOM of GLOOM, but whenever you get DRIVELINE VIBRATION and you drive on the FREEWAY--say a prayer

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Sorry Canuck--this is just an unflattering REALITY CHECK--

--One that I've been witness to, several times--

·
on line
13,466 Posts
I had the vibe, i have the deavers, prg shackles, and bils. A 3 degree shim fixed the problem. And i had only done them one side at a time with the deavers. AND i did the "GREG" trick of lossening the ubolts, giving the truck a small shake, and then tightening them back up. I needed shims.

·
on line
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
miles said:
okay sorry to highjack your thread Schlitzy
NP, happens!

XVTer, I envy you...

Mcampana, thank you. I'm going to try the same loosening of the ubolts technique as well, see what happens, then change the shackle height to the very top.

Did you experience the vibration or heavier noise @ higher speeds as well, like closer to 70?

The upshot is that basically, I'm par for the course with this install and there are a few solutions out there, so we'll knockem out one @ a time and see where I land. I was just hoping that I could have the luck of some like XVTer and get away clean during the install without any issues.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
I have PRG shackles, Deaver AAL (2 leaf per side), and Bilstein 5125s in the rear as well.

Up front : Radflo coilovers with Eibach 750# springs.

Initially installed to 3" lift in the front, ~ 3 3/4 in the back. Shackles set to 2nd from the top. Bad offroad UCA contact up front, and driveline vibration between 25-30 mph. Maybe had some around 70mph but can't swear to it as I didn't drive it long enough to be up to that speed enough to tell for sure.

Re-adjusted to ~2" in the front, ~2 3/4" in the back. Shackles set to 2nd from the bottom. Still have vibration between 25-30mph but it's not quite as bad as before. And now I can tell for sure there is a slight vibration at 70-75 mph. Maybe not so identifiable as vibration but something is occuring in that speed slot. Something that isn't just noise.

I've tried the loosen-ubolts-retighten trick to no avail.

I've talked with a couple of mechanics about the vibration and they confirm what Jimbo is saying. It is NOT a good thing.

I'm looking into shim installation now.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
I dont think vibrations occur with the Radflos. Its in the rear lift install and the what that does to the pinion angle that causes vibration. I know not everyone has them but I myself can attest to XKNUT cause im having the same exact thing happening to me. What im having is not really shuddering and shaking but more like a droning type feeling at around the same exact speeds as XKNUT. Im gonna shim up the rear as well and see what happens.

·
on line
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Right, but my man mcampana said stock shocks no shackles. I didn't think about the Deavers though... if that's what he had installed without shackles and only stock shocks.

Either way I'll be installing a set of shims one way or the other, which brings me to one of my original questions:

Has anyone gone to a 4 degree shim?

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
I had to work all day, do I am jumping on this thread late.

Have you tried this:

http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=7575&highlight=deaver+vibration

By loosening my U-Bolts and rocking my truck back and forth and then tightened the U-Bolts back up I was able to make my unwanted vibration disappear! I hope it works for you.

Also, a vibration can be caused by the shackles changing the angle at which the axle meets the leaf pack. And, a leaf pack with a greater bend in it will also change that angle. It is a lose/lose situation sometimes.

I hate missing threads.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts