Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, so i don't believe any of you would remember, but i had mentioned before that i had a problem shifting out of 4hi.
after being on sloppy muddy roads hunting, i get to the stop sign/hwy junction, and shit it to 2wd. it flashes for the longest time, so i decide to get on the highway, get it up to 50mph, (nothing above 60) and its still flashing. so protecting my diffs, i always have to pull over on the shoulder and switch thru the gears, and it'll finally engage back to 2wd. this happens numerous times.
i may get my oil changed tomorrow, so ill ask the dealer if i do.
but i know this shouldn't happen, has anyone had problems like this?

·
on line
576 Posts
My X has done that before also maybe twice, when I got to a stop light I put the shifter in N and shifted it back to 4wd Hi and then back to 2wd before it finally engaged. I know it's shift on the fly and not supposed to be like that because other times it has engaged 2wd w/o any problem.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
even if its on the fly... im still in the habit of doing the old, "stop the car, shift into 2wd, put it into reverse, then drive away." I guess its just an old habbit from owning older 4wd vehicles.

·
on line
896 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
even if its on the fly... im still in the habit of doing the old, "stop the car, shift into 2wd, put it into reverse, then drive away." I guess its just an old habbit from owning older 4wd vehicles.
also, wait for the click when backing up :laughing6:

·
on line
145 Posts
The 4WD remaining engaged is caused by binding. Breaking traction or stopping and backing up before selecting 2HI should reduce the binding. I never worried about it in the LR110 and Range Rover I owned, but sometimes it could be quite a while before the Xfercase freed.

·
on line
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im just saying, i want to ask why its not preforming to the standard of the product they were promoting.

·
on line
874 Posts
it should be marketed as shift on the fly into 4hi, and never out of. I too have this issue...

·
on line
1,361 Posts
I noticed on mine that when I shift from 4wd to 2wd on the fly, I need to let off my skinny pedal and then it shifts out just fine

·
on line
145 Posts
Nissan already gave us disposable diffs and now you want disposable Xfercases?
Seriously how do you expect Nissan to make it release quicker? The owners on this board are likely to have added tires with more traction and other traction aiding components all of which mean more binding, and a consequentially longer unlock time.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
125inA30zone said:
im just saying, i want to ask why its not preforming to the standard of the product they were promoting.
Now you're getting into the bigger issue of the whole next gen problem....LOL.... :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts