Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Xterra S, 6 spd manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time Xterra owner. 2012 S 6spd w/86k on the odo. Stock (for now?). Will use for the mountain roads in and around Colorado. Based in Denver but explore a fair bit. Want to set up the back to sleep in. If anyone has seen good, simple buildouts I'd love to be pointed that way.

Anyone part of a 4x4 club in Denver area - Nissan or otherwise?

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Welcome! Im over in Aurora, but really close to denver. a 2" lift and 285's is more than enough for forest /mountain dirt roads, and I do harder stuff too with the right lines. here is an example of my sleeping set up:

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Trunk

i built that wood rack just to test the idea and how it might work, and it worked ok for a recent trip out to ouray/ alpine loop area. I think its perfect for solo camping, and you could squeeze a couple in the back but I dont feel like there would be much room left for gear, when my wife comes camping we bring a big like 6 person tent, plus the 2 dogs its just more comfortable that way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome! Im over in Aurora, but really close to denver. a 2" lift and 285's is more than enough for forest /mountain dirt roads, and I do harder stuff too with the right lines. here is an example of my sleeping set up:

View attachment 140655

i built that wood rack just to test the idea and how it might work, and it worked ok for a recent trip out to ouray/ alpine loop area. I think its perfect for solo camping, and you could squeeze a couple in the back but I dont feel like there would be much room left for gear, when my wife comes camping we bring a big like 6 person tent, plus the 2 dogs its just more comfortable that way.
This looks very much like I want. Single person setup for now. Is the bed on a platform or just multiple layers of foam?

I agree that sleeping two would not leave room for gear. Would have to strap a lot to the roof or have a storage box.

I still have my Subaru with a Tepui Ayer rooftop tent - which is awesome - but I wanted something I could sleep in rather than on.

I'm going to leave stock for now but might look into a lift/tires when the current tires are due.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
This looks very much like I want. Single person setup for now. Is the bed on a platform or just multiple layers of foam?

I agree that sleeping two would not leave room for gear. Would have to strap a lot to the roof or have a storage box.

I still have my Subaru with a Tepui Ayer rooftop tent - which is awesome - but I wanted something I could sleep in rather than on.

I'm going to leave stock for now but might look into a lift/tires when the current tires are due.

its just 2, 2" foam pads. I used to just use them as they came in rectangle shape, but this last trip i cut them to fit the contours better.

the wood shelves hold a stove, large plastic storage bin and 2 small storage bins on top.

I love sleeping inside the X, its provides a sturdy structure for protection against the elements. wind, rain, snow, hail, bears... etc.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
you cant really see it but on the floor of my X i have some of those heavy foam garage floor tiles cut to fit. they are from harbor freight, help smooth out the floor so you dont feel the ribs through the foam.

·
Registered
2015 Pro-4X, Night Armor
12 Posts
First time Xterra owner. 2012 S 6spd w/86k on the odo. Stock (for now?). Will use for the mountain roads in and around Colorado. Based in Denver but explore a fair bit. Want to set up the back to sleep in. If anyone has seen good, simple buildouts I'd love to be pointed that way.

Anyone part of a 4x4 club in Denver area - Nissan or otherwise?
Welcome! Just joined as well and am in Centennial.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you cant really see it but on the floor of my X i have some of those heavy foam garage floor tiles cut to fit. they are from harbor freight, help smooth out the floor so you dont feel the ribs through the foam.
That's a really good idea. I'll have to look into that.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Want to set up the back to sleep in. If anyone has seen good, simple buildouts I'd love to be pointed that way.
No need to build anything for IMO the best sleeping in the back option.

Step 1: Buy 8 gallon Action Packer tote.

Step 2: Remove rear seat bottom(s) and place tote in rear seat footwell.

That's it. You now have a 6'8" level sleeping area that maximizes headroom so you can actually sit up, and will accommodate a standard 25" wide sleeping pad. If you are a backpacker or camper, you probably already own one of those and a sleeping bag. Add an additional closed cell foam pad or blanket if you need a bit more padding or insulation. When sleeping two in the back, you'll need to relocate gear to the roof or elsewhere, but for solo use it doesn't get much better or simpler than that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No need to build anything for IMO the best sleeping in the back option.

Step 1: Buy 8 gallon Action Packer tote.

Step 2: Remove rear seat bottom(s) and place tote in rear seat footwell.

That's it. You now have a 6'8" level sleeping area that maximizes headroom so you can actually sit up, and will accommodate a standard 25" wide sleeping pad. If you are a backpacker or camper, you probably already own one of those and a sleeping bag. Add an additional closed cell foam pad or blanket if you need a bit more padding or insulation. When sleeping two in the back, you'll need to relocate gear to the roof or elsewhere, but for solo use it doesn't get much better or simpler than that.

Great, simple, inexpensive idea. Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I do the above except I use an AirBedz made for an Xterra. Very comfortable and easy to use, but does take up the entire back of the vehicle so you have to unload the rear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts