Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
1,618 Posts
So I had 3 problems to solve.

1. I did not want to put my Hi-lift on the Roof, because I have Canoes up there quite often.
2. I need a solid place to mount a Powered Cooler, (Engel, ARB, or even a Coleman, if I can't afford the others.) I don't want to have Straps weaving in and out and over and under and every which way. And I want to maybe mount the Cooler on a sliding shelf.
3. I want to have access to the shallow storage under the Back Hatch.

So I made this. It's a rough mockup made out of materials I had laying around. I repeat rough. Here ya go. Crappy pics 'cause its dark.

It's coated with Bed-liner, and still needs another coat.

From the Passenger-side Rear. I used half inch bolts and stacked locnuts to find the right spacing. Gotta trim the bolt on the Passenger-side. Simple wingnuts hold it down.

Passenger-side, with Driver-side Rear Seat up.

Driver-side, need to touch up with a second coat.

Gonna put some eye bolts on the 1x3 and use a turnbuckle to attach to the Tracks.

I can Lift my Hatch!!!

My 400 Watt Inverter. I notched the Shelf so I can run the Cable to the 12Volt.

This obviously won't do you any good, if you have an Interior Bike Mount. I put mine on top. The whole point of this is to allow me to put Chairs, Pelican Cases, Fishing Rod Tubes, etc. and not have to worry about tying Coolers and Packs on top of them. I'm in the process of rigging the top for Tie Downs and maybe Drawer Slides for the Cooler.

·
on line
564 Posts
Very cool!

Rob

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Looks good. I have a similar idea in the works, but using bent tube instead of wood, and it's not going to be as deep (it's going to just hold my recovery crate).

·
on line
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mtdewmike said:
Nice. Is this going to be a permanent fixture in the truck, or can it be removed if need be?
It's not even attached yet. I'm putting screw eyes in the bottom to attach to turnbuckles, so it can be removed quickly to have full access to the back.

Muzik, I'll be interested to see what yours looks like. I thought you said you were putting a pet/safety barrier in yours. I've been looking for a pet barrier and can't find one that adjusts to the uneven roof contours back there. Are you fabbing one, or did you find one?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
norshor said:
mtdewmike said:
Nice. Is this going to be a permanent fixture in the truck, or can it be removed if need be?
It's not even attached yet. I'm putting screw eyes in the bottom to attach to turnbuckles, so it can be removed quickly to have full access to the back.

Muzik, I'll be interested to see what yours looks like. I thought you said you were putting a pet/safety barrier in yours. I've been looking for a pet barrier and can't find one that adjusts to the uneven roof contours back there. Are you fabbing one, or did you find one?
The idea is that the "shelf" is going to have a DOM tubing roll bar attached to it that will be bent to the shape of the inside. Then a nylon web will be attached to the roll bar on the top and sides and the shelf at the bottom. The entire thing will bolt to the Utility track.

The roll bar will not actually be for roll over support...just to hold the webbing.

I don't like the way the current pet dividers angle back and attach to the hooks in the ceiling, taking up rear cargo space. I figure this way I can have it bent which ever way I want.

I have not actually thought about what webbing I will use, but I think that will depend on how much I have to cover. I was thinking of trying to make it to work with the Raingler pet divider.

·
on line
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Muzikman said:
norshor said:
mtdewmike said:

The idea is that the "shelf" is going to have a DOM tubing roll bar attached to it that will be bent to the shape of the inside. Then a nylon web will be attached to the roll bar on the top and sides and the shelf at the bottom. The entire thing will bolt to the Utility track.

The roll bar will not actually be for roll over support...just to hold the webbing.

I don't like the way the current pet dividers angle back and attach to the hooks in the ceiling, taking up rear cargo space. I figure this way I can have it bent which ever way I want.

I have not actually thought about what webbing I will use, but I think that will depend on how much I have to cover. I was thinking of trying to make it to work with the Raingler pet divider.
Ok, I see what your doing. That should be great. The direction I am planning on going is to use something like this and bolt it to shelf. Just have to see how adjustable the top pieces are.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yeah, something like that was my first thought, but I was concerned that it wouldn't be strong enough. I am not trying to keep my dog out, but any loose items in the back. All the big heavy things will be strapped down, but smaller or lighter stuff might not be.

·
on line
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Exactly. Everything thats big or heavy will be tied down. My problem is that I'm worried that it too would become a projectile. Maybe I should just make something.

·
on line
1,618 Posts
9.5" to the bottom.

39" I think. Will edit.

27"

The bottom has to be able to clear the Cargo Lid, don't put it on the bottom.

The turnbuckles I bought were a little long, so I pulled the Tie-downs in to adjust. It's strong, if anything the weakpoint is the Factory Plastic Tie-downs.

Clearance for the Ammo Can that holds my Air Compressor. It will not tip over. Slides in and out easily, and does not move around.

20 Gauge Ammo Box from Gander Mountain.

Fits like it was made for this container. Does not move around in there, at all.

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Very nice job!

Love the out-of-the-box thinking!

·
on line
264 Posts
do you think the shelf could be made lower or no? i was thinking of doin this but placing my sub box on top and i was intersted in making it as high as the seat. whats your opinion? thanks

·
on line
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It all depends on how much access you want to the storage compartment. I wanted to be able to have enough room for my compressor box, pelican boxes and a case of beverages.

·
on line
189 Posts
So glad the dimensions are there. I will be planning on making something like this. It's great to have pics as reference points. Looks great!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts