Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a question, about a week ago my X started squeaking really bad. I believe it is coming from somewhere in the rear but hard to tell. When I take off from stop it goes tic, tic, tic, than squeak squeak squealllllll!! and gets louder as I put a load on. Also when I reach about 60mph it shakes really bad. Has this happened to anyone? Does anyone have any ideas?? Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know it's not the breaks, possible U joint and someone told me maybe the carrier bearing? I cannot move the drive shaft and nothing leaking.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
I know it's not the brakes:violent1:, possible U joint and someone told me maybe the carrier bearing? I cannot move the drive shaft and nothing leaking.
I'm assuming they mean a driveshaft carrier bearing (not a differential carrier bearing). The Xterra does not have a driveshaft carrier bearing, fyi. It has a single u-joint on the front of the rear DS (the one that you are hearing) and a non-servicable cv joint at the rear of the rear DS. The front DS has 2 u-joints. Because both DS's spin all the time you are moving (regardless of being in 2wd or 4wd), it's recommended to replace all 3 u-joints at the same time. I'd recommend buying some Spicer's from Northern Drivetrain.

·
on line
64 Posts
I have a 2005 as well (4x4), and mine has been squeaking for ever! I had my breaks changed 3 times within a year's time, so I know it's not the breaks. I was thinking about cleaning out my leaf springs- I read on another thread that gunk can get caught up inside there and cause squeaking.

If it is u-joints, what would it be (roughly) to replace all 3, and is this a job for the dealership? FYI- I'm brand new at vehicle mechanics...but all of my armor mods and stuff I'll be doing myself.

·
on line
2,263 Posts
I have a 2005 as well (4x4), and mine has been squeaking for ever! I had my breaks changed 3 times within a year's time, so I know it's not the breaks. I was thinking about cleaning out my leaf springs- I read on another thread that gunk can get caught up inside there and cause squeaking.

If it is u-joints, what would it be (roughly) to replace all 3, and is this a job for the dealership? FYI- I'm brand new at vehicle mechanics...but all of my armor mods and stuff I'll be doing myself.
Just called my local dealer, they charge, get this...$400-$500 to replace all the u-joints on an X!

To do it yourself, parts ~$50 dependsing on what u-joints you buy, $60-$70 for tools, $12 for beer and a half days work

U-joints are pretty simple. You would need to by a u-joint tool kit ($60 harbor fraight), new u-joints and a retainer ring pliers.

I think there is a how to on here and if not, a simple you tube serach can help you out.

1. take DS off
2. take off retainer clips
3. press out u-joints
4. press in new joints, being careful not to crush any of the little roller bearings inside!
5. grease joiuts, if you bought greasable ones
6. install DS

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It ended up being the u joints, pretty simple to fix. Maybe took and hour or so. Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
494 Posts
You can rent the tools from auto zone. If you have access to a shop i used an arbor press when i was at school and that made it really easy. I also found a shop that would press em in for like $15 cuz i had the joint and the drive shaft removed already.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts