Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tried doing some searching and maybe i wasn't searching the right phrases

Just got my Firestone bags a few weeks ago. Going to get PRG spacers to level. I have been debating on getting the shackles for the rear to go along with it. I don't think i want to use the airbags for lift. More for towing, load etc. but don't know if i want to rely on them solely for lift.

Can't imagine any issues or interference but thought I would ask anyway. Couldn't find much for other people doing it.

To cam bolt or not to cam bolt with 2"spacer and shackle??

·
on line
2,362 Posts
If the alignment if off, then you need cam bolts. If you have a good alignment you don't need cam bolts.

Probably go with the shackles. Adding 2" with just air will stiffen the rear spring rates and will probably hurt ride quality. Shackles will let you keep the softer spring rate for normal use.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So after minutes of hard debating over this, i ordered them lol

Big question is.....
If at even minimal pressure the air bags give a bit of lift, should i put the shackles at 1" of lift and put bags at 15-20psi like i run them now to match the 2" spacers up front?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
If it was my money, id get the cam bolts. Without them, you have no adjustment other than toe. With 2" lift, its highly unlikely the camber will be in spec, and even if it is, there is a pretty big gap between in spec, and properly aligned imho.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
It seems like 20 psi will give an inch of lift

So after minutes of hard debating over this, i ordered them lol

Big question is.....
If at even minimal pressure the air bags give a bit of lift, should i put the shackles at 1" of lift and put bags at 15-20psi like i run them now to match the 2" spacers up front?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hope this helps;shackles will only finish off whatever sag you have from the factory leaf pack if that is what you have.Air bags are designed to the factory specs in regards to full suspension droop.If you do the shackle lift it can, not saying it will definitely will cause the springs to weaken faster and cause the airbags to stretch beyond theyre limits when the vehicle is lifted by a shop lift.The airbags are a great thing to have so im not saying don't put them on.If you are dealing with rear suspension bottoming out try an aal with the airbags.I did an install titan leaf aal that worked out great.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did the airbags because i would bottom out when i had 4 adults in the car and hit bumps. Surprisingly for having over 100k i don't have any sag and good ride overall when I'm not loaded down. Got the airbags for loads and as a preventative measure not a half ass cure. I was looking for leveling options when i decided 2" spacer is the best of the simple spacer options for the front but i did not want to use airbags alone to try and pull off a 2" lift. Previously i had not heard anything bad about shackles so i pulled the trigger on them. Hopefully it doesn't beat up leafs too bad.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I installed the prg 2 " spacers, cam bolts, lift shackles, axle wedges, Firestone air bags and air bag 2" spacers this month. It rides great! Just got back early this morning from a road trip vacation from Kansas to Disney world. It rode great, smooth drive, seemed to have less roll, very comfy loaded down with stuff and the family. The spacers kept the right distance between springs and frame for the air bags. Really recommend the combo!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
550 Posts
Does anybody know about (possible) damage to the airbags when running off road with a 2" shackle lift? I have the sway bar installed. I really want to have airbags for towing, but I was advised against it by firestone, but what's the general consensus on this type of thing?

·
Registered
79 Posts
The shocks should limit the travel if they are the originals.You could always put a spacer on the lower mount between the airbag and mount to extend the travel due to the shackle lift.Just carefully lift the rear up allowing the suspension to droop watching the airbags as you do this.If they don't appear to be stretching beyond theyre limit all should be good.

·
Registered
550 Posts
cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts