Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roughly three weeks ago my SES light came on for the first time; I have roughly 24000 miles now. That day it was the hottest it has been, and so when I got in my X around 1pm to drive off, I noticed the SES light was on. I stopped by my dealer, and the first thing they asked me was if I purchased gas recently, and to check my gas cap is on securly. I took off the gas cap and got a huge burst of gas vapor; figuring now the SES light came on because the hot weather was causing the gas vapor to expand and put force on the gas cap. I put the cap back on and within ten minutes of driving the SES light was now off. Now today I had a similar issue; around 3pm the same scenario begins to play out. Only now after removing and reinstalling the gas cap, the SES light has not gone off.

·
on line
1,716 Posts
It sounds like you may have a faulty gas cap. The extreme pressure may be causing it to leak down or not hold a constant pressure in the tank. I would take it be the dealer and have them check it out and possibly replace the cap. I've heard of some problems with dealerships being PITAS so if they are maybe just get a locking cap made by Stant.

·
on line
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update.....I went to Autozone today and they read my computer to do a code check for the SES light. The code reader produced code: P0455; a large emissions related vacuum leak. It listed 5 possible reasons for the code: gas cap, e-vap canister, vacuum lines, etc. Can anyone provide me with advice before I see the dealership? I've already ordered the Stant Locking Gas Cap from CourtesyParts.com

·
on line
641 Posts
all2surreal said:
large emissions related vacuum leak. It listed 5 possible reasons for the code: gas cap, e-vap canister, vacuum lines, etc. Can anyone provide me with advice....I've already ordered the Stant Locking Gas Cap
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1526
I would suggest you have the dealer replace the factory gas cap, even though you have ordered the Stant.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
My buddy, who also owns and wheels a Gen 2 X, and I have both had constant SES issues--and it's turned out to be a clogged evap canister every time. Debris causes the valve inside the EC to malfunction. Mud, muddy water, dust, dirt can get inside easily because the EC vents in the rear driver side wheel well, of all things. So consider that possibility, and check out this thread from a couple weeks ago:
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4888

·
on line
168 Posts
I have over 62,000 on my 05 X and heat has only been a problem on the original battery. No other SES issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts