Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I go to start the X after we check in to our hotel in Las Vegas, on the way to Moab tomorrow.

Hard starting, but catches and fires up. SES light comes on, along with the VDC and SLIP lights.

Engine runs fine once started. Replaced my mass air flow and ECU about 15,000 miles ago.

Is this the mass air flow sensor or ECU? Am I good to limp on to Moab or should I find a dealer pronto?

Any help/suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance for the help. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have a code reader with me :( so not sure what it is throwing. I will try the battery reset in the morning, thanks Oz.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jay, its a new battery. Turns over normal, just a delayed start after turning over several times. Weird.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Jay, its a new battery. Turns over normal, just a delayed start after turning over several times. Weird.
Posted via Mobile Device
Could be the IPDM, like skibum suggested. Also, sometimes that will happen if the fuel pressure leaks down. This can be due to it either leaking back into the tank, (bad fuel pump check valve) or it leaking through a fuel inector pintle, or pressure regulator. Quick way to check that without a fuel pressure gauge is to turn the key on for 10 seconds (but dont crank) then off, then key-on again for 10 seconds... wait.. THEN crank. If it fires right up, this confirms the fuel pressure needed to be brought back up. One possibility for you. Regardless, pulling the code will help a lot to point you in the right direction. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jonathan and Jay...can't thank you guys enough for the responses. Xterra Induced Insomnia here in Vegas...at least now I can sleep after some well directed reading.

I will try a quick parking lot fix...call Brian and Cherry Hill Nissan for overnight shipping of the IPDM (WTF is that???) to my hotel in Moab. Hopefully that will cure the sickness.

Owe a few beers for the $500 in savings again...thank you newx.org. :rockin:

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did the battery reset this morning. SES light now out (but for how long, lol?). VDC light still on, and the starting is a little quicker.

No rough idle, low idle, etc. Runs fine once started, just quick turn overs then the engine catches and roars to life.

Also opened up the MAF sensor and blew it out, no perceptible dust or debris there. Checked air filter area for obstructions, dust, etc, all good there too.

Need to get a code reader when I get back, as having a high mileage X this seems to be a pre-requisite.

Contacted Cherry Hill Nissan to order the IPDM part, waiting for a call back from Brian. Hopefully will have it overnighted to the hotel in Moab for a parking lot fix there.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: contacted Brian at Cherry Hill. My ECM is under warranty and now at Desert Nissan hopefully quickly repaired.

Now at Del Taco enjoying "breakfast" waiting for fix.

Service tech seemed cool. I will see if they can live down the "stealership" moniker.

Thanks Oz. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
5,614 Posts
Update: contacted Brian at Cherry Hill. My ECM is under warranty and now at Desert Nissan hopefully quickly repaired.

Now at Del Taco enjoying "breakfast" waiting for fix.

Service tech seemed cool. I will see if they can live down the "stealership" moniker.

Thanks Oz. :)
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't know if I did anything but no prob! For whatever reason, to me, it sounded like it went into 'limp mode'. Is 'limp mode' symptomatic of a faulty IPDM? Anyone?

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know if I did anything but no prob! For whatever reason, to me, it sounded like it went into 'limp mode'. Is 'limp mode' symptomatic of a faulty IPDM? Anyone?
Codes at dealership:

P0340
C1130
C1143
C1163

Dealership says a bad cam position sensor is the starting issue.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Good news ... hopefully only a slight delay and still time to enjoy Moab.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, made it to Moab, despite the stealership in Las Vegas trying to extract "about" $600 from my coffers. (That means $1,200 in real dollars)

The starting issue continues, so does their diagnostic sound right?

I will begin searching for "cam position sensor" and see what I get. Thanks to Dan/NizmoMcLovin who helped me decipher some of the engine codes the Nissan Tech was giving me.

Top three reasons my 11 year old son figured out the Nissan Tech was full of it:

1. He kept pronouncing "Moab" as "Mobe," and telling us it was on "his bucket list" to take his lifted Tahoe there.

2. When we asked for a place to grab breakfast, he directed my son and I to a 21 and over tavern across the street...did he think Alex was a midget?

3. As we prepared to leave, he attempted one final effort to as Alex put it, "sell us" by saying, "You just never know when your Xterra won't start again or where."

Little did he know that I had the Xterra Nation on my side through this site.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
So no dice on the warranty, then eh? I know it's a bit further out of your way, but the Nissan Dealership in Grand Junction is a good place ... there's a couple here in Denver that are good places as well. If you *do* make it all the way over the hill (no reason you should, but you never know) to Denver, give us a shout!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts