Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
on line
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Called the dealership today about taking the X in for its 6 month/7500 mile service (never been in before) and asked the guy what it needed to be brought in for to keep the warranty (I prefer to do everything I can myself). He said the oil needed to be changed every 3750 miles to keep the warranty, and that if I did it myself I would have to staple the receipts for the oil into the owners manual. From what I can see, to keep the warranty, the oil only needs to be changed every 7500 miles (schedule 2 maintenance). Is that true? And what do I really have to do to keep the warranty, because I sure as heck don't trust this idiot. :withstupid:

·
on line
2,876 Posts
your manual shows 3 different service schedules. Premium (all fluff i think), schedule 1 (lots of stop and go driving and short trip, towing etc), and schedule 2 (not doing anything in sched 1). I go with schedule 1 which states oil changes at over 7,000 miles. Plus, I use mobile 1 synthetic and a mobile one extended filter so I am good for that much. I also keep all my receipts in an envelope and NOT in the glovebox. They might just disappear. What you should do is go synthetic when you can, say around 10k or so, then change based on your driving. For sched 1, swap out at 5k or so. Sched1, 7500 works. And make sure to log the changes (i use a word document) and indicate date, mileage, notes on what you did.

This guy sounds like a dealer opportunist who just wants your money.
My dealer wanted extra to put the right weight oil in my truck. My truck calls for ONLY 5w-30 in the manual, the dealership put 10w-30 in it. I promptly went through nissan america and got a full refund and an apology and a promise of a tsb in order to address using the proper weight oil. The last hasn't happened.

·
on line
2,876 Posts
also, on a related note, my gf's mazda 3's manual states "oil changes should only be performed by your mazda dealer" right. Why? Cause you gotta remove the plastic splash shield. That requires ASE or whatever it is....
It's a 15 minute job on her car.....

·
on line
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I've gone to mobil1 synthetic as well so i figure about every 4k the way I drive is good. (stop and go and really short trips).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts