Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what service intervals do many here follow when using synthetic oil. 1st service (the 3,750mi one) I had them fill it w/ Mobil 1 5w-30. Next sceduled/recommended service is at 7,500 but I waited till 10,000 (which we just hit) to take it in again. On my BMW 528 I've been doing the Mobil 1 every 5k mi and plan to do the same w/ the X hence why waiting till 10k. I generally work on my own cars this being my 1st "new" car, I'd prefer to have dealer records for as much as possible maintaince wise.

So when I take it in tomorrow I'll have the 7,500mi service items done as well as an oil change w/ Mobil 1 again. When I hit 15,000 (and subsequent visits from there) do I do the service items closest to my actual milage? Or, should I be taking it in at the recommended intervals and just have them hold off on the oil and filter changes and do those myself at my 5k mi intervals?

·
on line
2,081 Posts
The way I see it - You CAN go longer with Synth. But why throw the warranty away because of it? If you have an engine failure and are asked to provide service details - you then tell them you decided to ignore the reccomended service interval. Guess who isn't gonna pay for it? :)

·
on line
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright so assuming the Nissan oil filter is only designed to last the 3,750mi intervals, should I be somewhat "safe" in taking it in at the recommended intervals that they say but not have them change the oil. Ask for the filter to be changed but in the most likely chance that they won't change just the filter, I can just do it myself when I pick it up. Then also change the oil at my 5K mi intervals on my own.

My thing is that Mobil 1 is too expensive to be dumping out every 3,750mi but I don't want to use the dino oil cause the truck sees a lot of stop and go and quick 10 min trips. For example my fiancee works 5-10 mins from the house depending on traffic and the lights. She drives to work in the morning, comes home for lunch, goes back to work, straight from work to the gym which is in between, then home. On a daily basis that's 5 start and stops w/ the engine running 10mins or less so I need an oil that can take it as we all know that kind of useage is the worse on an engine. On the weekends we do a lot of city driving and the longest "normal" trip is down to see her parents which is about a 50 mile highway trip from Boston to Cape Cod. Meanwhile my car sits all day as I'm in my work van so I'm trying to get her into the habit of alternating vehicles every other week or so.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
USMC XTERRA said:
I am positive you can go 8K on a Nissan oil filter. Positive! MC
I bet you a six pack YOU can drive on your current filter for 100K.

(I am not responsible for any failed engines....)

·
on line
1,479 Posts
I took my truck to nissan for service and they told me that i should replace the oil at the recomended schedule just because the engines run at such high temp that they cause a lot of sludge

·
on line
120 Posts
Just change it at the 7500 mile interval- you'll still be in spec for the warranty. Nissan would have to PROOVE that you drove the vehicle continually under "severe service" to deny warrany coverage.
Besides, I would'nt go over 7500 miles without oil analysis anyway. Also, your first change to syn should be used as a flush fill and changed realtively quick (couple thousand miles).
BTW I'm running ALL synthetic now (Amsoil).

·
on line
2,081 Posts
BGXterra said:
I took my truck to nissan for service and they told me that i should replace the oil at the recomended schedule just because the engines run at such high temp that they cause a lot of sludge
Of course the dealership is gonna tell ya to bring it in for reccomended service intervals, so they make more money from ya! :)

From the many mechanics I have spoken to over the years, they advise the best thing you can do for your engine is to change the oil regularly. I'll stick to my 3500mile changes and still use Sythetic - It sure as hell is not coming out clean after 3500 miles, so no way I'm stretching that to 7500. But I live in a HOT state - 100+ most days for the last 4 months now.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
RiNkY said:
BGXterra said:
Of course the dealership is gonna tell ya to bring it in for reccomended service intervals, so they make more money from ya! :)

From the many mechanics I have spoken to over the years, they advise the best thing you can do for your engine is to change the oil regularly. I'll stick to my 3500mile changes and still use Sythetic - It sure as hell is not coming out clean after 3500 miles, so no way I'm stretching that to 7500. But I live in a HOT state - 100+ most days for the last 4 months now.

hum... Ok I am sold I will switch to synthetic and keep to the schedule

1 - 10 of 10 Posts