Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been disconnecting my battery and reconnecting it to pull my X in and out of the garage so I could weld the sliders on each side. Battery was off for about 2 hours at longest. Now I've got a SES light that has been staying on. The VDC light always stays on for a few power cycles after I disco the battery and then turns itself off. The SES was on, pulle the ground for 3 minutes, put it back on and it was fine. Moved the X back in the garage, and it came back on. What gives?? Is it because it was disconnected for so long and just needs to be started a few times. Or did I F something up? Should I do the ECU reset?

·
on line
2,077 Posts
the VDC light will always do that upon battery disconnect. I've never heard of the SES light coming on after battery disconnect...i had a dead battery in my last car for two days before i put a new one in (it was so dead the power locks wouldn't even work)....no engine lights when the new battery was put in

if yo have time swing by an autozone and have then do a free scan...it may give you an idea what's going on....if it doesn't help, hey, it was free!

·
on line
423 Posts
It possible that the loom melted more than you originally though and shorted one of the wires. I would check to make sure all the wires are "separate" and if any are melted together.....

the sliders look awesome, what type of welder (and how many amps) do you have?

·
on line
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the wires and they are all separated, not even crispy. It's a little welder. It's just a Campbell Hausfield 80, .035 flux core.

·
on line
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried both of the ECU methods (one said six seconds, the other said ten or twelve, whatever) and nothing worked.

Found this post under PaulyXyz's thread on adding a fuse box on the kickpanel.

" If you are at all uncomfortable working carefully remove the negative terminal from your battery first and then proceed to work on the positive side. This may cause problems with your air bag or engine service light that may require a reset by the dealer. "

Think that's what I did??

·
on line
631 Posts
i disconnected my battery when i did my stereo install. SES light (referred to as MIL--malfunction indicator light at a dealership) came on when i hooked it back up. tried resetting it, disconected the battery again, did several drive cycles with no luck. took it to the dealer and they reset it in the parking lot. told me it was common for it to come on after doing electrical installations. honestly, i have never seen this happen before and i have been working on vehicles for several years so i think this tech was covering something up......

·
on line
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
driver X said:
i disconnected my battery when i did my stereo install. SES light (referred to as MIL--malfunction indicator light at a dealership) came on when i hooked it back up. tried resetting it, disconected the battery again, did several drive cycles with no luck. took it to the dealer and they reset it in the parking lot. told me it was common for it to come on after doing electrical installations. honestly, i have never seen this happen before and i have been working on vehicles for several years so i think this tech was covering something up......
Thanks. I feel better. I'll bring it in Wednesday. Now I can go to sleep.

·
on line
641 Posts
norshor said:
I've got a SES light that has been staying on.
The SES light can stay on for quite a while, even when there is no 'real problem', such as when there has been a problem with the gas cap not sealing properly. Get the dealer to read the code(s), so you have some clue as to what may have caused it, and then have them do a reset.

·
on line
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fixed it. Tried both of the directions for like the 40th time. Finally used ahnyoungboi3's write up, and let the service engine soon light flash for awhile. That was the problem. No more light. Thanks ahnyoungboi3.

BTW, I stopped at the dealership tonight to look for a new car for my wife.
Service guys were all gone, and I talked to a sales guy about the light. He figured it was the battery disconnect, and said they would take care of it. Probably wants to sweeten up the sale on the Versa.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts