Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Service Engine Soon (SES) Light came on the other day while I was climbing a long hill on the interstate at about 75 mph in my 2006 XTERRA SE. After I got home, I followed the procedure in the Nissan service manual to read the DTC codes without a diagnostic tool. After following the procedure, I got 7 slow flashes on the SES light, followed by a pause, then a quick single flash, which by the manual should be code 71. I repeated the procedure from the service manual seveal times and got the same series of flashes each time. This doesn't seem to match any of the DTC codes in the Service Manual, as these are all 4 digit codes. Any clues as to what my XTERRA is trying to tell me? I am not having any problems or symptoms that would give me as to what the problem might be, as the vehicle is still running perfectly. Thanks for any help anyone might be able to provide!

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Autozone dude. Its free, and it gives you the code... not some weird series of flashing lights. Alot of service engine soon symptoms dont necessarily mean that your truck is running badly. It could be ALOT of different things.

·
on line
83 Posts
Definitely go to Auto-Zone. That's where everyone here steared me when my first SES light came on.
I have the same model and year as you too. By the way, I ended up buying a code reader; INNOVA 3130

·
on line
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. I took the X to AutoZone today. They found two DTC codes in the X's ECM, PO442 EVAP Evaporative Emissions System small leak/no flow condition and PO455 EVAP large leak detected. The troubleshooting for both codes is pretty straighforward, unless it winds up being the fuel tank temperature sensor, which requires dropping the tank. First place to start is the fuel cap. If the fuel cap checks out ok, then I am going to put the cap back on, make sure it's tight, clear the codes from the ECM and see if this takes care of the problem. If the cap is not ok, then it's a simple replacement. If this is not the problem, I get to check hose connections, vacumm supply and valve actuatations. If I still don't find the problem, then it's off to the dealer to find something I missed, or to pull the fuel tank.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Check out this thread. http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=7068

There's a reason I guessed what the problem would be. I didn't even remember the code. It's just that the evap canister vent is designed so it sucks in dust and water and gunk from the road. It's a common, known problem, very likely what's wrong with your truck, and is often an argument to get fixed if your warranty is up. But luckily there's a TSB now. Good luck and let us know what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts