Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 23060 miles the Service Engine Soon light has come on for the first time. I just got back from the dealer; they had me schedule a day for which I could leave it for a checkup. They want their technicians to run a complete test and then repair whatever they find. I'm still under warranty, but find it very odd that already I could be getting this warning.
Has anyone else had this issue?

·
on line
2,077 Posts
i would advise making sure they call you and tell you what is wrong before they fix it, you don't want to pick up the car and find out you own a crap lot of cash cause they fixed a bunch of things that "weren't under warrenty"

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Mine has been on for ~ a month. I went to the dealer to have it read and they wanted $100 straight up. I left and went to AutoZone and they read it. I have a faulty fuel sensor or something.

I just need to make an appointment so the dealer can fix it.

I have 27K

BTW: We use to have a house in Misquamicut beach. Off of atlantic Ave.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Well, I deserve some sh__ for this, but, yes, I've been having a problem with the "Service Engine Soon" light all along and just never got around to starting a thread. Each time (I think it's literally been four) it has been my evap canister, which is located behind the driver's rear wheel well and gets clogged by dust/mud etc. when I wheel. Some kind of valve inside the unit gets fouled and stuck.

Nissan has basically admitted that it is a design flaw, but they certainly haven't been willing to modify my X so it doesn't keep happening. The dealer is on m side, but they do what the big boss says. A mod would look something like a diff breather extension, except the issue would be where to route the hose.

I can provide more info. if this sounds familiar to anyone. My buddy here in So Cal, who I wheel with all the time and also has an '05 X, has had the same problem.

So maybe this is your problem all2surreal, although, obviously, there are hundreds of things a "Service Engine Soon" light could mean.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
kokopop said:
I left and went to AutoZone and they read it. I have a faulty fuel sensor or something.
AutoZone is probably right, but consider the possibility that it's the evap. Like I said, I've had this happen a number of times, and my dealer has been very honest about it. My friend has had the same problem. I bet it's going to start cropping up more and more, especially for those of us who drive off road frequently.

·
on line
429 Posts
The fuel sensor and fuel pump are built as one and it was about 5 bills for the dealer to repair it.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Shodan said:
The fuel sensor and fuel pump are built as one and it was about 5 bills for the dealer to repair it.
Isn't it covered under warranty?

·
on line
429 Posts
kokopop said:
Shodan said:
Was out of the warranty for bumper to bumper. The fuel pump/fuel level sender was $300 ish. But my truck was in for the dif at the time and I didn't want to mess around with dropping the tank etc. So I had them do it.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Shodan said:
kokopop said:
Shodan said:
Was out of the warranty for bumper to bumper. The fuel pump/fuel level sender was $300 ish. But my truck was in for the dif at the time and I didn't want to mess around with dropping the tank etc. So I had them do it.
Cool. I am at 27K, but have not made the appointment yet. Chances are they will have it for a few days.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts