Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
on line
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After serious pontification and measuring I am pretty set on doing an SOA on my X for a variety of reasons.
1. Its cool, no one has done it (excluding SAS guys)
2. ALOT more clearance underneath the axle
3. Can cost less than $100 if you know what to do
4. I've done it before with success
5. Frontiers have SOA, why can't we?

Here are some measurements:
Diameter of axle tube = 3.183"
Thickness of stock spring pack = 1"
Thats up to a ~4.2" lift. If I can find some perches that are only .25" - .5" tall that would be perfect.
Parts list for SOA so far:
Antiwrap spring perches
Axle shock mounts
New U-bolts

I will just reuse the stock spring pad by putting it on top of the springs. Of course new brake lines and shocks are also required, along with extending whatever other lines are attached to the axle.
Once I get new UCAs and coilovers I expect the front to be ~3.5" over stock. With the rear ~4.5" over stock this would be perfect. Comments and bashing from mcampana are welcome!
 

·
on line
Joined
·
82 Posts
I think it is a great idea, if you have the fab skills to weld the anti-wrap perch to the axle. My mad computer skills leave me with no welding skills.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bruzer said:
I think it is a great idea, if you have the fab skills to weld the anti-wrap perch to the axle. My mad computer skills leave me with no welding skills.
LOL. I wouldn't call my welding skillz mad, but they're good enough to get the job done right!
 

·
on line
Joined
·
246 Posts
come to the soa side..................................
 

·
on line
Joined
·
704 Posts
Great idea. I have 0 welding skills and no garage that I can use for work. But if you do it, please show us the pics, the instructions and the specs. I have not done my suspension mod yet and this is definitely an idea I'd consider.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,248 Posts
Hey rs182,

I'm glad that this thread hasn't erupted into a SUA / SOA argument.

I think that the only concern that I would have is the height in front, even with the coilovers and UCAs. I think if you dial it up to 3.5 the poly droop stops (assuming you go TC) are going to be resting on the coil bucket at ride height. Some might say the CV angle is going to be too extreme as well.

But hell, I say go for it. Maybe the fact that your front fenders are cut out will help offset the raked look. It seems to have that effect on my rig. Let's see what it looks like!
 

·
on line
Joined
·
376 Posts
You might want to at least consider posting up on the Frontier site about this. There might be someone willing to swap rearends with you. Occassionally there are Frontiers looking to be lowered and that would be perfect.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OregonX said:
Hey rs182,

I'm glad that this thread hasn't erupted into a SUA / SOA argument.

I think that the only concern that I would have is the height in front, even with the coilovers and UCAs. I think if you dial it up to 3.5 the poly droop stops (assuming you go TC) are going to be resting on the coil bucket at ride height. Some might say the CV angle is going to be too extreme as well.

But hell, I say go for it. Maybe the fact that your front fenders are cut out will help offset the raked look. It seems to have that effect on my rig. Let's see what it looks like!
Since rockcrawling type wheeling is what I like to do, SOA is perfect for my purposes. Yes, I think the cut out front fenders will help offset the ~1.5" rake my X will have. Also, if I ever get a spare and some gear in the back of my X that will push the rear height down a little. Tracking down supplies right now, will cover all steps in my X35 project thread. If anyone has any insight or possibly knowledge of something I may overlook please let me know.
This project will start in a couple weekends, gotta get back home to get my welder & such first.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,459 Posts
I say start a new project thread for it.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
4,593 Posts
I say start a new project thread for it.

Agreed.

This truly is a new project and deserves its own thread.

Oh and BTW I think a SOA would look awesome!

If you can work out all the details...

edit: for proper tagging.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cornick said:
I say start a new project thread for it.
Ok, I'll do that.
Maybe you guys can help me locate something. I am trying to find antiwrap spring perches that are a maximum of 1/2" tall measured from the axle tube. This way, the spring perches will provide minimal lift & torque issues. Antiwrap just refers to perches that are like 6"+ long. I have emailed quite a few companies already asking about the perches they offer.
Trying to decide if I want to utilize the stock upper shock mounts, or weld in a new mount like lifeinthesouth did. Didn't PonyBoy keep his stock upper shock mounts?
 

·
on line
Joined
·
2,248 Posts
rs182 said:
cornick said:
I say start a new project thread for it.
Ok, I'll do that.
Maybe you guys can help me locate something. I am trying to find antiwrap spring perches that are a maximum of 1/2" tall measured from the axle tube. This way, the spring perches will provide minimal lift & torque issues. Antiwrap just refers to perches that are like 6"+ long. I have emailed quite a few companies already asking about the perches they offer.
Trying to decide if I want to utilize the stock upper shock mounts, or weld in a new mount like lifeinthesouth did. Didn't PonyBoy keep his stock upper shock mounts?
Blue-Torch Fab has got some anti-wraps that are 7" long. The measurement from the top of the axle to the spring mounting point is 1". Maybe if you know somebody with a plasma cutter or find a local metal fab shop they could cut out an extra 1/2" over the axle mount arch.

http://bluetorchfab.com/store/index.php?cPath=60_45
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
This might be a stupid question, but how do you raise the front to match the rear so you're not running down hill?
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,638 Posts
I hope you get this project completed with LOTS of pics and a
very detailed how-to. I've been thinking this mod over for weeks.
But without any experience don't know where to begin. A 4" lift for the
rear was the exact height I was looking for too.

One question, will this require a new longer driveshaft?
 

·
on line
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OregonX said:
rs182 said:
cornick said:
I say start a new project thread for it.
Ok, I'll do that.
Maybe you guys can help me locate something. I am trying to find antiwrap spring perches that are a maximum of 1/2" tall measured from the axle tube. This way, the spring perches will provide minimal lift & torque issues. Antiwrap just refers to perches that are like 6"+ long. I have emailed quite a few companies already asking about the perches they offer.
Trying to decide if I want to utilize the stock upper shock mounts, or weld in a new mount like lifeinthesouth did. Didn't PonyBoy keep his stock upper shock mounts?
Blue-Torch Fab has got some anti-wraps that are 7" long. The measurement from the top of the axle to the spring mounting point is 1". Maybe if you know somebody with a plasma cutter or find a local metal fab shop they could cut out an extra 1/2" over the axle mount arch.

http://bluetorchfab.com/store/index.php?cPath=60_45
Nice, thanks for that link. The rear will be lifted ~4.7" with a spring perch that is 1/2" tall. The front will be a little over 3" with coilovers and new UCAs. The ~1.5" rake will be perfect for me considering my cut-out front fenders.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
xterrock said:
One question, will this require a new longer driveshaft?
Doesn't seem like the 5" lift kits out there do, so hopefully not. Gotta figure out pinion angle though.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
15,651 Posts
There have been a few guys with 5" Calmini kits that ran into some driveshaft issues. There is a thread about it over on XOC, I would give it a look.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TXterra37 said:
Man, will the possibilities ever cease w/ this truck!? Good luck and looking forward to lots of pics!
Not if I can help it! Going out right now to take some pictures of the rear suspension & such.
 
1 - 20 of 100 Posts
Top