Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been catching up on a lot of the posts requesting GPS/etc and all of the problems everyone is having. I've been watching another forum over at a site called mp3car.com and there is a company (a guy named Brett) who is creating the perfect double-din size car PC with everything. The work he's been doing is coming together for a release date somtime this summer. You can catch up at the formum link:
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/har...uction-double-din-vga-touchscreen-making.html

and you can check out his website at:
http://store.pandainnovations.com/Articles.asp?ID=121

We've all been giving him input as to what the unit should do and he's taking it all very seriously. I'm a computer guy, so I'm more interested in the car PC thing than an aftermarket single-task unit like the AVIC/Kenwood stuff. I'm waiting for his product and another called the Fusion Brain (order at: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/har...able-preorder-fusion-brain-usb-i-o-board.html ) whose posts ( http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/har...-new-usb-input-output-board-fusion-brain.html ) show that when hooked to a carPC, the touchscreen interface can control *any* electrical device (4WD, lights, windows, etc) if you're willing do a little wiring.

Also, a general FYI - the mp3car.com site covers all kinds of stuff from specialized hardware to stereo setups to special adapters to make everything work. If you hadn't heard about it before, now you have.

Food for the masses.
:alien:

·
on line
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check out the website mp3car.com and search the forums for that model number. A lot of people have tried it, some good and some bad experiences. That box is the WHOLE reason Brett decided to make the 'perfect' unit. He's using some of the same sources I suspect for parts but the global consensus is that a motorized screen is just something more to break - especially if we're off-road with it.

You really should take the time to read the threads concering this box. I can't express how much great info is out there on the pluses and minues of this particluar unit. Plus, the guys that run that site are regular memebers on mp3car.com (I just can't think of their names off the top of my head). Communications is sometimes not so good, if i recall correctly...

mike

·
on line
114 Posts
I've done a ton of reading over there the last 2 weeks. I just recently stumbled upon the DWW-6500.

My only issue with the unit you've mentioned is the price. I think he's looking for $750 for the version 1 model. I can get a transreflective 7" touch screen for less than that.

·
on line
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm glad to see you're doing your homework. There are a number of posts over there of home-grown car PC systems. Look up the posts by blk02si - he's fabricating double din frames for anyone willing to cough up $50-100 bucks. Check out this thread (Long!) - http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fab...cpu-hd-ps-indash-post1068108.html#post1068108

Those guys are doing everything their own way, but see the usefullness of a proper chassis. This was the way I was going until I found the other thread. Had my transflective screen all picked out, etc...

And yes - Brett's stuff is expensive, but be careful. Add up the pieces you'll put together, then add in the price of one-stop shopping and support, and the prices of pulling the unit everytime one of the inexpensive, independantly sourced parts goes belly-up. I'm sort of assuming that you're putting this together on a pretty tight budget.

I did this exercise, determined everything I want it to do, then figured on support/warranty - I'm going for version 3, approx $1200. For me, it's a specialized laptop - all in one. But that's me...

You know I'm just playing :evil2: advocate! Good luck to you no matter what you decide. Just send pictures!!!!

·
on line
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Me Too! I've got a pac-audio adpater to run my ipod (for Audible.com book content) and my SIRIUS SAT radio into the factory head unit. I never listen to regular radio any more.

I'm just itchin to get rid of that useless hunk of plastic in the dash.

·
on line
114 Posts
speedy_parker said:
I'm sort of assuming that you're putting this together on a pretty tight budget.
Not really, I'm looking at probably almost $2000 in equipment to get what I want.

The master plan, which is still forming is as follows;

I'll be running a 7" or possibly 8" touch screen LCD. I may buy the double din mounting kit that they sell at MP3car.com. Although it'll be interesting to see where the price falls out on that version 1 double din unit.

I'm going to get an Intel Mac Mini to be the brains of the operation and build a dock for it. Something similar to what BugByte did in his VW Bug.

No head unit, I'll go from the Mac Mini right to amplifiers.

And pictures ahoy when I finally get this show on road. :bounce:

·
on line
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Impressive - best of luck to you.

I'll document my end as well once they finish up with it. I'm basically going for bang for the buck, with the thought that it may have to be moved into another vehicle once my daughter is old enough to drive. She already thinks I'm 'building' this for her. She loves the X almost as much as me!

Truthfully, I'm still considering running a voom box with a intel duo2 core proc under the front passenger seat if his price is too high. Version "B" with an external PC. Best of both worlds perhaps...

Too many toys - not enough cash!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts