Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 40 installed on my X this afternoon, its not as loud as the mechanic said it would be. In fact it is fairly quiet when I am at cruising speed. My problem is it sounds kind of "Ricey" for lack of a better word, is this caused by the resonator on the end of the tailpipe?

·
on line
1,977 Posts
I`ve got a 40 too.It will get better with age.I had a custom system built w/duals.Also cut off the back 2 cats.It`s a bit too loud now.I think the resonator does take away some of the RUMBLE.Here`s a pic of my Y pipe.I got a major boost in power with the equal length tubes.
[/img]

·
on line
53 Posts
video? perhaps a sound clip? i really want to do something as far as exhaust goes but i am not sure yet. 40 series would be nice.

·
on line
631 Posts
40s will sound ricey at first until a few thousand miles when it "breaks in". same thing with my Jeep. i installed a 40 and drove home on the freeway, thought it sounded ricey. after a few thousand miles it had a nice deep tone to it. got lots of props for it too! so give it some time, and it will sound better.

·
on line
423 Posts
SHADOW said:
I`ve got a 40 too.It will get better with age.I had a custom system built w/duals.Also cut off the back 2 cats.It`s a bit too loud now.I think the resonator does take away some of the RUMBLE.Here`s a pic of my Y pipe.I got a major boost in power with the equal length tubes.

I was looking at the current setup and it actually frustrates me the drivers side is so much longer then the passenger.

Do you have more pictures of your setup?

·
on line
807 Posts
07XXXterra said:
My problem is it sounds kind of "Ricey" for lack of a better word, is this caused by the resonator on the end of the tailpipe?
Actually that resonator should be making it sound less ricey.

·
on line
1,977 Posts
bmaloney,Here`s a few more pics.Afraid they`re not that good.Going around the spare was dicey but there`s about 3/4" clearance and no problems.There`s one 2 1/2" in and two 2" out.
[/img]

·
on line
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After driving around most of this afternoon, I really have grown to dislike this and am considering just ordering the Gibson Cat Back. I really feel like I screwed this one up and just made an impulse buy. It still has the OEM restrictive Y and it just doesn't sound like I would like it to.

Is there any resell value on a used 24 hour old Series 40 Flowmaster?

·
on line
1,114 Posts
I had a Flowmaster 50 on my Ranger 4.0L. I hated the drone of that muffler.

Magnaflow or Gibson from now on.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
8th Man said:

I had a magnaflow welded in, and even I have to admit it sounds a little "ricey." I still like it though.

8th Man,

How noticeable was the loss (and I hate to use that word because I know it picks up later in the powerband) of low end torque with the elimination of that factory y-pipe, which surely creates some significant back pressure?

·
on line
1,114 Posts
OregonX said:
8th Man said:

I had a magnaflow welded in, and even I have to admit it sounds a little "ricey." I still like it though.

8th Man,

How noticeable was the loss (and I hate to use that word because I know it picks up later in the powerband) of low end torque with the elimination of that factory y-pipe, which surely creates some significant back pressure?
I was concerned about losing low rpm torque by eliminating the factory y-pipe and going to 2.5" tubing.

I solved that problem by using Magnaflows "open" bi-directional muffler. To retain back pressure, I ran the duals into a 2 in 1 out muffler. While not as effective as a cross-over system, I achieve similar results. I allow the muffler to act as my crossover.

In doing so, I keep my low end torque but gain flow at higher RPM. The guys at All Phase drove it after the SAS was done. They commented on the noticeable increase in power. Great tone, too.

Here it is going out:

·
on line
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My girlfriend sealed the deal for me (she noticed as soon as I turned the key) and I am dropping the Series 40 for a Gibson Cat Back, probably should have done this in the first place and saved myself the $150 for other Mods. Damn the Mod bug and my lack of patience.

Does any one know of any reason why the aluminized Gibson Cat Back for an 06 would not fit on my 07. I ask this only because Gibson does not list the item for an 07. I would appreciate any feedback ASAP, because I really am not enjoying that Series 40 at all, and want to get rid of it within the week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts