Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
on line
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't know Dave would announce it this early but here it is!!  More specifics will be released at the end of this month but for now the one item I can confirm is a Nismo brand lightweight clutch for the Gen II X, the other items (gears, lockers, spools, axles, diffs) will have to wait on their very specifics as explained by Dave in his announcing post to be found here: http://www.teamxterraracing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=157  But be assured...they are nearly all complete and will be installed and working soon!!

·
on line
2,938 Posts
awesome.

My only thought with Nissan involved it means it will cost twice as much for a set of gears! Of course it is up to dealers to sell them at a price they want to and there are some very price friendly dealers out there!

·
on line
2,938 Posts
The front will have to be selectable?

·
on line
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kokopop said:
awesome.

My only thought with Nissan involved it means it will cost twice as much for a set of gears! Of course it is up to dealers to sell them at a price they want to and there are some very price friendly dealers out there!
Depends....some of these parts are being made by Nismo (lightweight clutch) but the others are being made by other companies...My thought is that Nismo will not "rebrand" these parts as Nismo and that will leave it in the hands of these other companies to price them at what they feel is appropriate...

·
on line
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kokopop said:
Don't know at the moment...turns out that there has been an EASY solution to the front diff issues all along....Find out what other Nissan used the SAME front diff as the new X (hint, its not a recent model) and you will have a majority of the answer...

·
on line
3,262 Posts
spalind said:
kokopop said:
Don't know at the moment...turns out that there has been an EASY solution to the front diff issues all along....Find out what other Nissan used the SAME front diff as the new X (hint, its not a recent model) and you will have a majority of the answer...
Uhhh, i dont have a clue!!! Anyone... Anyone... Bueller?.... Bueller?....

·
on line
2,938 Posts
spalind said:
kokopop said:
Common on dan, Titan? I am going to force you to sleep near Gene at ECXC!

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Hope it is covered with a TSB.

Titan Recall

Defect:
On some 2006 model year Nissan Titan and Armada four-wheel drive equipped vehicles, there is the possibility that the bolts attaching the front drive shafts to the front final drive assembly may not have been tightened properly. This may result in the front drive shafts coming loose and cause a vibration or noise in the vehicle front end. If the front drive shaft becomes disconnected, it may be damaged or cause damage to other vehicle components. However, the ability to control the vehicle will not be affected.

Remedy:
Nissan is conducting a Service Campaign to retighten the front drive shaft bolts to the proper specification.[/quote[/b]

·
on line
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope...not a Titan...I suggest you do a search using the model # for the 2nd gens front diff and see what you come up with....

·
on line
3,262 Posts
:tard: Uhh, so what was that model number again??? LOL

Anyway, do all the models (4x4 of course) use the same front diff?? I know they have different rear diffs but dont know about the front!!

Thanks guys...

·
on line
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
S_e_X-Terra said:
:tard: Uhh, so what was that model number again??? LOL

Anyway, do all the models (4x4 of course) use the same front diff?? I know they have different rear diffs but dont know about the front!!

Thanks guys...
Front diffs are all the same as far as I know...

·
on line
4,495 Posts
R180A
Ratio - 3.357
Ring Gear Teeth/Pinion Gear Teeth - 47/14
Oil Capacity - 1 3/4 US pints.

4cyl D21 from June-86 (Hardbody)
4cyl WD21 from June-86 (Pathfinder)
4cyl D22 (Gen I Frontier)

720s used R180s, odd considering Nissan deems the R180A a front diff and the R180 a rear diff...but the 720 uses a R180. Although the R180 is a more centered axle and the A signfies its more located towards the driver side and has axle tubes. Early model Zs also used R180s but outback. Some Subaru's also used the R180, don't ask which model(s), year(s), they also used R160s though...yeah and even smaller ring gear. Scary.

Now, here's a question. Are the R180As in the Gen IIs the exact same as the other R180As? Aside from the aluminum housing of course. I'm talking about mounts and if the half shafts would bolt up right. Why do I ask? Cause a R200A swap was straight bolt in for those trucks with the R180As. Meaning gears, locker, and a modified R200 LSD out of a 300ZX will work also. A the very least it would mean a cast iron housing instead of a soda can.

Still can't believe Nissan used a 180mm ring gear'ed diff in trucks with way more power than the previous models they were used in. Pathetic.

BTW, do I win a prize? :)

·
on line
807 Posts
Peck said:
R180A
Ratio - 3.357

So are you saying all of those vehilces listed have R180A front diffs with a 3.357:1 gear ratio? If so, sweet. They are all cast iron diffs too, correct? So does this mean any gears/lockers made for them will bolt into our diffs? Like you said, it would be even better if the entire diff. bolted in!

·
on line
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
stevet47 said:
Peck said:
R180A
Ratio - 3.357

So are you saying all of those vehilces listed have R180A front diffs with a 3.357:1 gear ratio? If so, sweet. They are all cast iron diffs too, correct? So does this mean any gears/lockers made for them will bolt into our diffs? Like you said, it would be even better if the entire diff. bolted in!
The simple answer is NO...it is not a direct swap, there are differences in spline counts and other such that prevent such a direct swap....but SOMEONE....SOMEWHERE...MUST have a bunch of upgraded gears, lockers diffs and such made those old hardbodys and pathy's just sitting on a shelf gathering dust right?????????? and it ALSO should be very simple then for someone to make custom parts to make swapping in these parts easy (relatively), right??

And, yes...if you want to claim your prize (a Team Xterra Racing tshirt) please just paypal me $4.05 for the shipping and your address and I will get it right out...paypal address is [email protected]

·
on line
807 Posts
OK so swapping gears isn't that easy, but cant our stock gears be put into the older cast iron housings? Granted, this might not be worth it, because of the labor involved, but I assume that our diffs would be a lot stronger with just a stronger housing. I'm sure the stock housing bends/flexes which contributes to the gear failures.

·
on line
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here was Dave's most recent post...

"GREAT NEWS"
The diff gears are in the works right now! I will post more at a later date. I started these because I needed them for my Xterraracer program. I requested 4.88, 5.13 and 5.38 ratios to start. I have another vender building rear spools and axles for the Nissan D44 housing. I am still working on the front LSD w/4 spiders and inner CVs.

I will more than likely bring out some longer tubular arms as a kit with longer axle shafts and tie rods. Note; these won't be for my racer, but because "X" owners would like the option. This mod may warrant molding some 3" wider glass fenders too.

Believe me when these are ready to hit the market everyone on these "X" related sites will know!!!

·
on line
107 Posts
Any possibilities for T-case ultra-low gears?

Can anyone reply to this message with the gear ratio in the current S model's front differential? (Just to compare with the numbers previously offered by spalind.)

We still need a rumor about an aftermarket rear locker! :bounce:

·
on line
266 Posts
lifeinthesouth said:
dnorton said:
We still need a rumor about an aftermarket rear locker! :bounce:
For the "S/c200"... amen to that brotha!

*ahem* for the s/d44 please.

xterraracer's rear is a d44, so i think the gears and lockers that come out as a result of this will be for the d44 rear, and the front that acompanies

1 - 20 of 81 Posts