Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I wanted to install solar panel on the roof so I was thinking about making custom aluminium rack with aluminium angles, bars, and bolts.Then, I realized that it will cost me more than $200. I also thought about placed steel roof rack which requires top of the roof rail. So it looks like literally placed basket on the roof. I really do not like that idea. Steel rack is tough, but I do not want to get rust. So I was searching and searching. I finally found the aluminium rack which fits between xterra's roof rail. Best part is $80! it is 31 width X 50 length X 5 inch tall. My X is 32.5 inch width, 53 inch length and around 5 inch tall (between base of the roof to top of the rail). so this rack fits in pretty good.

Catch is that needed some mods and around 2 inch come out or over the roof rail height (because I used roof rack bracket). Other than that, I think that $80 aluminium rack is not bad at all, I think.
I really wanted to finish up by this weekend so I just finished up without some detail modification. Possibly I could lower whole rack another 2 inch or so using bolts.

BTW, this is the rack I bought.

Anyway, see pics.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Nice! A member on here also did the same thing as well. Are your modifications the same as his? The other member mounted his on crossbars. What mounting bracket did you use? Links? When you get a chance, can you we get pics of how its mounted? Thx!

Here is the member that did the same.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn, I should find his thread before I have done this. his method is definitely better than mine. Take his route!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
damn, I should find his thread before I have done this. his method is definitely better than mine. Take his route!
Wait.. how is the other member's better? If I'm not mistaken, yours requires no crossbars and it does look a bit cleaner. Is yours just supported by the mounts? Any pics of under the basket on how you mount it? Thx!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wait.. how is the other member's better? If I'm not mistaken, yours requires no crossbars and it does look a bit cleaner. Is yours just supported by the mounts? Any pics of under the basket on how you mount it? Thx!
@hybrid90
I used this tube bracket. I placed support beam into the tube bracket. Then, I used u bolts to connect the beam and basket.
Amazon.com: HOUSE TUNING Bar Clamps 2.25 inch -Pack 4,2 1/4 inch Roll Bar Clamp Bracket,Led Light Mount Clamp,Roll Bar Mounting Brackets,Tube Light Mount for Light Bar (2.25" Clamp - Pack 4): Automotive

It is cleaner looks, but it is quite annoyed setup, especially if I have to remove roof rack from car. I also realized that the beam comes with this item is probably not aluminium since I can see rust. So I will probably replace it to aluminium angles. Right now, I placed 100w solar panel on the rack.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Oh I see. So basically the rack is supported by 4 of those little brackets on each corner? Doesn't seem to sturdy since it doesn't really span across the whole roof rack. Have you tried standing on the rack to see if it's sturdy?

Thanks for the detailed pics and links to the brackets!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts