Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about going for a radflo/SPC UCA combo but am having a hard time selecting the spring rate.

I want to get a winch mount (boondox or rockymtnx style) with winch around the same time as I do this install. What spring rate should I go with? I haven't been able to find a thread that was helpful.

thanks!
-chris

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
This is going to be mostly what you prefer. I have front and rear bumper winch front and rear full let of skids and sliders and i run with 500lb springs. I love it. others run with jsut a bumper and put 750lb springs on it. Usually they will tell you to get 650lb and that seems to be the norm and covers a range of weight adding armor.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I have 600lb springs and like them much better than the 750lb springs I had at the beginning. 600lb springs are a tad stiff with bumper skids and sliders. The 750lb springs were way to stiff.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I run 600lb springs with a shrockworks bumper. I have not run any other spring rate so i cant compare but I love the way the 600lb ride. It kind of feels like a pickup truck with the bumper.

·
Registered
762 Posts
This is going to be mostly what you prefer. I have front and rear bumper winch front and rear full let of skids and sliders and i run with 500lb springs. I love it. others run with jsut a bumper and put 750lb springs on it. Usually they will tell you to get 650lb and that seems to be the norm and covers a range of weight adding armor.
And the Fox coilovers run #400 adjustable preload springs. So if 500 feels good, what would these feel like?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
And the Fox coilovers run #400 adjustable preload springs. So if 500 feels good, what would these feel like?
Well if I knew what 600 felt like id be able to interpolate what 400 feels like but from what Im reading I feel like 400 would be wayyy to soft. So much so that the weight of the driver would make it sit not level anymore. the softer the better is offroad the stiffer is just better for onroad and this is coming from Greg at PRG. It does feel like im driving a boat...

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had an in bumper winch mount with winch, and 600lb spring radflos. If I did it over, I'd have ran 500lb springs. The 600s were too stiff for that setup IMHO. Ymmv.
Posted via Mobile Device
Were you running full skids and sliders? After i go on a bat**** crazy spending spree (SPC UCAs, Radflos, Adj. Shackles, winch, winch mount) i'll be running an in-bumper winch mount, winch and sliders in addition to the full Shrock skids with a hefty rad skid I already have. I was hoping to smooth out the ride a bit (haha, yea yea I know) compared to the 2" spacers I have.

Actually this conversation brought up another conversation. When they say 600/500 etc springs, is that the weight over the stock springs or the actual weight. What are factory springs? (i just saw someone say online that it is 500).

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Were you running full skids and sliders? After i go on a bat**** crazy spending spree (SPC UCAs, Radflos, Adj. Shackles, winch, winch mount) i'll be running an in-bumper winch mount, winch and sliders in addition to the full Shrock skids with a hefty rad skid I already have. I was hoping to smooth out the ride a bit (haha, yea yea I know) compared to the 2" spacers I have.

Actually this conversation brought up another conversation. When they say 600/500 etc springs, is that the weight over the stock springs or the actual weight. What are factory springs? (i just saw someone say online that it is 500).
Yes, I also had full skids and sliders on. I may be wrong, but I believe the 500, 600, and 750lb is a difference in the spring constant, k, from Hookes law F=kX, not a specific value of extra weight capacity. But, to know for sure ask Greg. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
10,980 Posts
...but I believe the 500, 600, and 750lb is a difference in the spring constant, k, from Hookes law F=kX, not a specific value of extra weight capacity.
That has been my understanding, as well.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Well if I knew what 600 felt like id be able to interpolate what 400 feels like but from what Im reading I feel like 400 would be wayyy to soft. So much so that the weight of the driver would make it sit not level anymore. the softer the better is offroad the stiffer is just better for onroad and this is coming from Greg at PRG. It does feel like im driving a boat...
A 200 lb driver would sink the front left tire less than 1/4" with 400 lb/in springs... But, that's a static condition.

It's not so much the ride height that is affected by spring rates, as it is the momentum of the truck when "falling" into a dip. The added front weight of a winch and bumper adds mass and when the truck is being accelerated back up when hitting a dip in the road or a hole, the additional mass works the spring harder and compresses the suspension with more force.

Think of spinning a small weight in a circle with a string attached to it. If you add more weight and spin at the same rate (rpm), you'll feel more "pull" on the string. That pull is the force applied by your hand to compensate for the added force necessary to keep that weight from flying away.

Of course, when driving on the road and hitting smaller bumps, that stiffer spring rate will be felt. There's always a balance between a smooth ride and a suspension that can handle bigger bumps.

With that said, a softer spring could be adjusted with preload to ride the same height after a winch and bumper was added, but if you hit a dip or a hole, that soft spring will be easier to compress and will allow the suspension to bottom out sooner.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts