Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 2 lugs that won't come off. One has been air chiseled down even with my rim, the other I haven't messed with yet. They both have stripped 3 sets of factory keys trying to get them off. I've thrown every hole saw and drill bit and it and nothing seems to make a dent. This is on a 2005, one lug on each front tire. We've used torch to heat, tightened up all the other lugs, used hammers and pry bars. If anyone could lend a possible solution id be greatly grateful.

Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
that sucks!!! I have no idea how to help. but when you do get them off. leave them off and never put a set back on!! on any car you ever own!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha yeah I never will, these were completely useless. I'm wondering... Is there a way to take the wheel hub and whole wheel off at once in reverse? What I mean is from the back, like lower control arm, rotor, anything?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
oh man, well how i usually take off locking lugs is by hammering on a smaller impact socket. but your too far past that point now.you said you have an air hammer? use the flat chisel bit that will fit inside the hole of the wheel and try to knock out the wheel stud and cut the lug nut at the same time. go buy new studs lol

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
i was going to say possibly drill out the stud itself but I think they insert from the back side. this may be painfuly obvious but did you spray it down with penetrating fluid for a few days and let it sit ? might be worth destroying an impact socket that is way to small for it to hammer it on then heat then hit it with a 6' prybar or impact?

looks like you already destroyed the wheel... if you arn't keeping it you could just cut the wheel in half haha (halfway joking)

·
on line
22,508 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I just went and got one from O'Reileys we'll see how it works. I'll hit it with lubrication for a few hours then try my luck. Hope this works, then I'll only have to worry about one wheel! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Well I just went and got one from O'Reileys we'll see how it works. I'll hit it with lubrication for a few hours then try my luck. Hope this works, then I'll only have to worry about one wheel! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Good luck! I couldn't really see your pics on my phone earlier, I didn't realize a lot of the locking lug nut is gone now. These tools need to have enough to grab on to. It'll be close...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the other one stuck I haven't chipped away. I'm hoping this will take it off. The other once might need the rim cut off:)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright a little update. Went and bought the lock key remover from the auto part store and it comes with 2 sockets. They have reverse threads on the inside and the sizes are (not ****ing tapered like they should be) 13/16" and 1" OD. Well my key, prolly the same as many of you with stock keys is exactly 13/16" but is 1/16" too damn small. It will get hand tight when threading on but once tension is put on it it will just round right off. IF YOU HAVE KEYS TAKE THEM OFF NOW AND BUY NORMAL LUGS. <~my little disclaimer.
So my buddy that's a Porche tech helped me the first time and we did the damage I currently have, my other buddy, an Audi tech,
Says he has a took to get it off. Wish me luck, I'll know more on Tuesday. Thank y'all for the help fellas. I'll update as I succeed or fail.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
This all sounds like a pain in the @$$, but as long as you only hand tighten them, and DONT us an impact to tighten it, this shouldn't happen, no?...but then again, this only always work as they should in perfect world, so I guess its better to be safe....but then again if you have expensive rims.....

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Dang, that is not cool! Looks like I'll be removing my locking lugs as soon as I can get some to replace them with, would not want this to happen when it really matters (aka on a road trip or off-road).

·
Registered
22 Posts
My key started "twisting" (literally bending the inside part of the key) last time I rotated my tires and wouldn't stay on the lug nut when I put any torque on it. Luckily I got 3 of them off and replaced with regular nuts. The fourth had stripped enough I couldn't rotate either direction. Going to try the "hammer on a socket" method soon. I will never use wheel locks again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the one that was just stripped has now come off. Good buddy of mine had that tool that was tapered with reverse threads and hammered that bitch on and it spun right off. So I'm down to one left and it's gonna be my doosey.
The take off tools I got from the parts house didn't quite work, but he told me that he got his tools from a Tool Truck. They come around the Audi dealership where he works and sell nice expensive(but necessary) auto mechanic tools. He had 4 different sizes, if you ever find any, make sure they have a TAPER to them. I'll be trying my other wheel this weekend with a torch and hammer.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the wheels are finally off! My buddy had a socket to take off the seized nut and for the one that was broken off, her dang brother popped it off in the driveway! Sounded ridiculous to me when she told me. He just jacked it up and kicked the **** out of it til it fell off... I'll never understand, but whatever works.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
71 Posts
Man, this whole nightmare just happened to me.
I was putting on some 1.5" wheel spacers, on stock suspension, and when I went to put the wheels back on the truck one of my wheel locks broke in half down the long axis. I was able to get it off with the regular tools, but it bugger'd the sharp points on the stud threads when I took it off. Got a regular lug nut, put it on, and the bolt still holds securely. THEN, took a different wheel off again (trying to remedy some rubbing) and THAT wheel lock nut broke. But this time it wasn't down the long axis of the nut, it just sheared the top of the nut off. So now I have a lug nut on a wheel that I can't get off. I'll try the remover tool ,mentioned in a previous, post tomorrow. Glad to know I'm not the only one with this issue. And, thanks to this forum, I have have a better (than my original, brutal ones) idea of how to get the busted lug nut off. Thanks all!!!:eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Well, they did their job kinda. At least you know your wheels were definitely safe from criminals

·
Registered
21 Posts
NeXT Time pay for Snap on tool ... Maybe 100-150$ for the removal lug nut stipped tool but it is stil' cheaper than 2 wheels lol

(It works in 95% case )

1 - 20 of 28 Posts