Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was putting in a set of cam-bolts one on the passenger side is seized....

i got the nut off, i bashed it with a 4lb. hammer and got about 1/2 cm of movement...

when i rotate the bolt it move this sleeve looking think (bushing i guess) inside the LCA, but the beotch will not come out!

i took it to firestone to have it aligned and asked them to try to get it out, and they couldn't either......said i could try lubricating it for a few days, but it that doesn't work they could cut it out or torch it out, but the LCA would have to be replaced.........

......stupid snow and salt.......................anyways, i know a few others have had this issue, what has worked? i need to get this bolt out so i can get an alignment done.....

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Nope, never got them out (3 of the 4 are seized). I just got my LCA's late last week, so this weekend I'll be saw-z-all'ing the bolts off.

·
on line
13,467 Posts
Dude, that sucks. I know this may mess up the lca for the long term. But try heating it up with a torch. I had to throw some heat on the steal around my lca to help reshape it after smashing it. But it worked, the lca still works just fine. But i know ill have to replace it eventually. Just a thought. Other than that. Since you may have to buy a new one anyways, whack the crap out of it with a big ole hammer a couple mroe times after its been lubed.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Watch heating it. I melted the boot around my tierod. Also the bushings in the LCA are rubber, they don't like much heat.

I have tried everything from a 5lb deadblow hammer, to a ball joint press, to an air hammer. I can't get them to budge.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i got it out with some PB blaster!...i sprayed the bolt and let it soak in for a few days, then went to work on it today, 20 minutes of hammering and wrenching it finally loosened an popped out.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Yeah, as I said in my other post PB blaster is great. I used it tons on my old jeep where it had 8 years of rusted salted components. If I was doing work on the weekend, I would start spraying them on Tuesday and every day until I worked on them. Worked every time on bolts that I couldn't budge even some I was told by a body shop they couldn't remove or would have to heat and get off.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Problem is that there is no "getting in there" the bolt and sleeve are welded via rust. :)

I got some space in a garage this Saturday and some free time. Saw-z-all here I come!

Then I am going to look into getting some custom polly bushings with stainless sleeves made up for the spare set of LCA I have.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts