Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, so i want to protect my X with out increasing my insurance.
so I'm looking for a decent security system. does anyone have any suggestions, or had experience with one? i know I'm probably going to get it professionally installed.
I'm looking for one with a parimeter protection feature, where if you come withen a certain distance, itll cherp. but i dont need anything too extremly expensive
any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
cam

·
on line
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just want ppl to know not to fuck with it.
and i didnt want to increase my coverage just because of what i have. i would save money putting one in. i dont think it would decrease my cost...

·
on line
1,638 Posts
Is the purpose of this to get an insurance discount, or do you really want an alarm? Though it may not be ethical, I've always answered 'yes' to anything that would potentially lower my premium whether true or not- garaged, alarm, underestimate expected mileage use of car, college degree, etc.

·
on line
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i actually want an alarm. sorry if that was confusing.

·
on line
1,891 Posts
willgr1 said:
how much of a discount will you get from the insurance.....the X already has a security system on it.
Well it does have a security system, but not the same "protection" that an aftermarket alarm can offer. I use this lightly because it really doesn't offer that much more protection. If they want something inside your X, they are just going to smash and snatch.

·
on line
1,638 Posts
I don't even bother with alarms anymore. I figure if someone really wants your car or something in it, they will get it one way or another, alarm present or not.. So far, just the presence of a factory alarm seems to be enough to give me a discount on insurance. If a visual deterrent will make you feel a little better, a fake flashing LED might suffice for much less money and work.

·
on line
443 Posts
My SVX I have a glass brake sensor and it works really well, I just never though the X would be hit...that and i only had it about a Month so I havent had time to do anything to it yet.

I will probably put a real alarm on it now with motion and glass brake sensors. What a fricken waist of $.

Greg

28 Posts
I added a shock sensor to the factory alarm in my jetta using this guide...

http://www.swankmonkey.com/vw/gti/2000/motion_sensor/

I think the module cost $20 and took about 30min to install. The install was was basically the same for the the shock sensor and the motion sensor, you tapped the same wire but you mounted them in different locations.

Is there any chance that someone knows what wire we need to tap into?

·
on line
443 Posts
thats interesting. Didnt know that was even an option.

·
on line
35 Posts
I have a Compustar P2WSS-AS on mine conbination remote start and alarm. HIGHLY recommend it. Has almost 2 miles of range but is pricy.

·
on line
432 Posts
I was going to save for a Viper system. One with the full LCD remote and the remote start features. Still not sure though. I also considered using the money instead to install bulletproof glass, just so I can come back to my truck and find some guy with a busted arm laying on the ground next to the X. :D

Those Viper alarms are sweet though. It's on my mod list.

·
on line
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CUH, where did you get the quipment, how much was it, and what was the difficulty to install?

·
on line
628 Posts
npgtech said:
willgr1 said:
how much of a discount will you get from the insurance.....the X already has a security system on it.
Well it does have a security system, but not the same "protection" that an aftermarket alarm can offer. I use this lightly because it really doesn't offer that much more protection. If they want something inside your X, they are just going to smash and snatch.
According to USAA (my insurer) the immobilizer that the X is equipped with is about the best thing as far as insurance is concerned, and it fully qualifies as an Anti-Theft Device, when it comes to discounts.

On my previous vehicle, '04 Frontier "Desert Runner", I had the Viper 791XV installed. At that time it was the best money could buy (Two Way, Dual Shock Sensor, GPS) I paid an excessive amount of money for it. In the end it was not worth it. Sure they never would have gotten far with the truck itself, but it didn't stop them from robbing the $4000 stereo system. Needless to say, I will never spend that kind of money on an alarm ever again, nor will I put a large stereo system in a vehicle anymore.

·
on line
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
is there any way you can take a pic of where you spliced? im really interested.

28 Posts
125inA30zone said:
is there any way you can take a pic of where you spliced? im really interested.
The link in my first post explains the install on a VW. I haven't done it yet on the Xterra.

I think we maybe just need to tap the door sensor wire. That way when the shock sensor trips, it sends a signal to the factory alarm as if one of the doors were opened with the alarm armed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts