Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I bought my xterra, they only provided me with one key and key fob. PITA considering my last car was the same way and had to spend over $100 to get a new one (honda key that had the fob integrated into the key) So, I asked the dealer how much it would be to get a new key, and they quoted me $90 for the key and programming it. Seems pretty steep considering they said the key is $45 and programming it is $45...so I'm paying $45 for them to spend 5 minutes programming it?! Is this price about right or does anyone know how I can find a cheaper one?

Thanks!

·
on line
429 Posts
I'd argue with them, especially if you bought it new. Never heard of any vehicle coming with only one key.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Use the old feminine wiles to talk 'em down :blackeye:

The expense of a new key is one of the draw backs of the secuity provided with the new fangled transponder keys...

As said above if you bought the X new the dealer owes you a key!

·
on line
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bought it used. The dealer hassled us about the broken strap and missing first aid kit saying that ours didn't come with it (even though the original sale sticker was in the car and it said that it came with it) and had asked about a key to which they gave some lame excuse about how a lot of used cars only come with one key. BS I say...I made a specific trip back out to them (about an hour drive) to give them the second key to my trade in.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: -Man you're getting scobbed--

--Look on page 3-2 of the owners manual and it shows that Nissan issues three (3) keys and one (1) remote (fob) for EACH NEW X--

--Take your manual to the dealer and show where they owe you 2 more keys at no cost to you !!!!

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

--edit- Sorry I didn't see where you had bought it used--

·
on line
2,540 Posts
You can try looking on Ebay for key's. I think someone posted somewhere on how to program the keys to the system. I'm sure someone with the service manual can look it up too.

·
on line
641 Posts
anrebel1 said:
So when I bought my xterra, they only provided me with one key and key fob....So, I asked the dealer how much it would be to get a new key, and they quoted me $90 for the key and programming it....Is this price about right or does anyone know how I can find a cheaper one?
That's about what I was told by a dealer here, when I asked about getting an additional key made. New, mine came with three keys (two + one valet key) and two key fobs.

I was asking because I wanted "one more key" to use for a 'hide a key'. Instead of getting a 'key with a transponder chip' from the dealer, I just went to a locksmith and paid a couple of dollars to get a regular key cut. This regular key is hidden outside the X, but even if someone finds it, then can get into the X but not start it.

·
on line
384 Posts
usmc xterra said:
Yea I'd say I am going to contact Nissan CS on that one. Mine came with three keys, one if different from the two but I don't know how. I did know but I forgot. MC
The third key is a "valet" key. It will open doors and start the vehicle but will not unlock the glove box. If this was a car, then often it would not open the trunk either.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Lyrex said:
usmc xterra said:
Yea I'd say I am going to contact Nissan CS on that one. Mine came with three keys, one if different from the two but I don't know how. I did know but I forgot. MC
The third key is a "valet" key. It will open doors and start the vehicle but will not unlock the glove box. If this was a car, then often it would not open the trunk either.
I don't have a lock on the glove box, 05 S. It fits the door and the ing. MC

·
Read Only
656 Posts
anrebel1 said:
Bought it used....I made a specific trip back out to them (about an hour drive) to give them the second key to my trade in.
Anrebel1: Which dealer did you get yours from? I got mine at Regal on Holcomb Bridge Rd. They were a pain to deal with and gave me a hard time when I returned to pick up the cargo cover that was supposed to be in the truck when I got it. Had to make a lot of noise to get some one to get my part, but it got them off their duffs. If you go back to that dealer, don't back down: they made you come up w/ the spare key for your trade in so they owe you. The price they gave you seems a bit high. I went out to the dealer near Mall of GA and I think the transponder keys were $25. Can't remember if they charged to program it or not. Bought a non-transponder from them to use in a Hide-a-key.

·
on line
76 Posts
My source at nissan says xterra keys are only 15 dollars, he gives me stuff just about at their cost. So you can see how much money the dealer is making. The 45 for programmnig is about right though. They charge usually half hour of work to get it done. Also. If you are getinng it done I would go ahead and get two keys to have another backup.

·
on line
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
buxwheat said:
anrebel1 said:
Bought it used....I made a specific trip back out to them (about an hour drive) to give them the second key to my trade in.
Anrebel1: Which dealer did you get yours from? I got mine at Regal on Holcomb Bridge Rd. They were a pain to deal with and gave me a hard time when I returned to pick up the cargo cover that was supposed to be in the truck when I got it. Had to make a lot of noise to get some one to get my part, but it got them off their duffs. If you go back to that dealer, don't back down: they made you come up w/ the spare key for your trade in so they owe you. The price they gave you seems a bit high. I went out to the dealer near Mall of GA and I think the transponder keys were $25. Can't remember if they charged to program it or not. Bought a non-transponder from them to use in a Hide-a-key.
I actually bought it from the one at mall of georgia at the end of Oct. I just took it to Regal yesterday to get some TSB's and other warranty work done. They did seem like a pain. They were asked twice to look at my e-brake, even though I forgot to mention it when I called to schedule the appt. They didnt even look at it. Plus They didnt have the corrected brake pads the tsb required. You'd think if it was a known problem, they'd keep a set in stock. I'll try calling mall of georgia to see if I can get a better price. thanks =o)

·
on line
355 Posts
the good keys have a chrome symbol. The valet key which cant open the glove box does not have a chrome insignia.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts