Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have seen a couple people who use those compact sears under seat tool boxes and like that idea of it being hidden and using up useless space.
here is a pic of what I am talking about.

I don't wheel much but want to be as prepared as possible with out craming my X full of stuff. so my question is if I were to utilize one of those tool boxes what would be the most essential tools to fill it with. keep in mind the tool box is 17" long and mabe 2" high. there is also a super mini version one of these perhaps for filling it with more common bolts.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I carry the craftsman 220 mechanics set in rear cargo area. I also added a torque wrench, spark plug socket, and zip ties.

If going small, I suggest a metric socket and wrench set at the minimum.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm perhaps just buy a preassembled kit then and stuff the tools in the compact box? I rather keep the tools under the back seats and utilize that wasted space. I will actually buy 2 of the boxes but the other one with be filled with more emergency type of things.

·
on line
1,113 Posts
A breaker bar, 3/8 and 1/2 rachets mostly metric sockets like 10, 12, 14, 17 in 3/8 and 1/2 versions will cover most bolts on the X, vice grips, assorted screwdrivers, jb weld, adjustable wrench, and a few things im forgetting but they will come to me eventually

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I keep an assortment of common tools. Ratchets and screw drivers. Also some safety equipment, cables, dry food, glow sticks. I have two of those boxes from sears.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Buy two of them. You can easily fit two under the back seat, even with the jack still there. You can fit a pretty good amount of tools in there. It would take too long to type up, but heres what I keep in mine (see pics). Buy the same set up and you'll have a pretty solid tool kit always on-board.

·
on line
22,508 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey thanks Surf and Snow. would you happen to know if the 23" model tool box will fit? I am thinking it is probally a little to tall.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
hey thanks Surf and Snow. would you happen to know if the 23" model tool box will fit? I am thinking it is probally a little to tall.
No problem. That's a no-go on fitting that. I bought the 23" first to try it, but I could not get the seats to close and latch. The 23" is too big (too tall).

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No problem. That's a no-go on fitting that. I bought the 23" first to try it, but I could not get the seats to close and latch. The 23" is too big (too tall).
Ha, did the same thing Jay. It's now my Dragline kit.
This is one reason why I like this place, people like you guys do all the R&D so people like me don't waste time and money. haha thanks guys:cheers:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts