Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used Sea Foam?

After my brother talking the stuff up for over year, last night I decided to try some.

If you have never heard of it, it's a carbon cleaner. It can be used as a carb/TB cleaner, as a cylinder cleaner, as a gas additive and as a crankcase cleaner.

So, after doing some reading and no one saying anything bad about it I stop on my way home and pick up a bottle.

I read the directions on the bottle and it seems pretty straight forward.

So I get home, leave the car idle, pop the hood and take the brake booster line off the master cylinder. Using a small funnel I pour 1/3 of the bottle into booster line. Shut off the engine and let it sit for 5 mins.

While I am letting it sit, I pour the rest of the bottle into the gas tank.

After the 5 mins I start the X back up and man does it smoke and run a rough. I got worried at this point. So I hop in and take it for a spin around the neighborhood. About half way around the rough running goes away and smooths out. By the time I get home, it's running better than it has in a long time.

In short, I don't know what the long term effect is going to be (there is obviously still some in the gas tank), but the short term is amazing. I'll let you guys know what happened over time.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
I know daggerdoggie on UNYX uses it. He says its a great alternative.

I can only imagine the "Oh Crap!" what did I do feeling when it started to run rough. :geek:

·
on line
2,938 Posts
The Seafoam details
SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT for Gas Engine Applications

100% Pure Petroleum
Use in All Engines in All Seasons
2 Cycle, 4 Cycle, and Diesels
Treats 3 Critical Areas: Gas Tank, Fuel Systems, and Crankcase

* Cleans fuel injectors
* Cleans carburetor jets
* Cleans carbon
* Stabilizes fuels
* Upper cylinder lube
* Removes moisture in fuel
* De-icer
* Frees sticky lifters
* Frees sticky rings
* Removes moisture in oil
* Cleans P.C.V. systems
* Cleans catalytic converter odors
* Oxygen sensor safe

How Many Mechanics Use SEA FOAM
In Tune-Up of 4 Cycle Gasoline Carbureted or Fuel Injected Engines
Autos, Trucks, and Tractors

1. With engine warm, slowly pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint through carburetor or throttle body throat. (If vehicle is port injected slowly pour SEA FOAM through direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders, possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line.) This will pull SEA FOAM down on top of the pistons and to the back of the intake valves to dissolve carbon. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. If severe carbon build up is apparent, use more Sea Foam as previously directed. Make sure exhaust is well ventilated when using Sea Foam in these various ways as fumes will be extreme for a short time.
2. Pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint into oil crank case to clean rings, lifters, dirty parts and remove moisture.
3. Pour 1/3 to 1 full pint into fuel tank to clean injectors, carburetor jets, fuel lines and remove moisture.
4. Immediate Results: Smoother idle, increased R.P.M.'s better throttle response and improved performance. See label on can for detailed results for use in each area.

FUEL TANK, CARBURETOR, INJECTION and OIL CRANKCASE.
For Peak Performance, Use SEA FOAM Every 2,000 to 5,000 Miles

* A 100% pure petroleum product for use in all gasoline and diesel type engines, both 2 and 4 cycle. OXYGEN SENSOR SAFE.
* Cleans dirty engine parts internally by removing harmful gums, varnish and carbon. WORKS AND PERFORMS INSTANTLY.
* Removes moisture from oil crankcases and fuel tanks.
* Stabilizes and conditions fuels. Use for engine storage.
* Cure hesitations, stalls, pings and rough idle due to carbon buildup.
* Helps pass emissions test. EPA Registered.

When Used Thru Injection or Carburetor

* Cleans carbon build up
* Cleans intake valves and pistons
* Gives smoother idle
* Cleans catalytic converter odors
* Cures hesitations and pings
* Restores power and pickup
* With warm engine running, SLOWLY poor 1/2 pint through carburator, throttle body or direct manifold vacuum line that will feed ALL CYLINDERS. Possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. Be sure exhaust is well ventilated. Fumes will be extreme for a short period of time.
* For use in injector cleaning machines, use 50% SEA FOAM and 50% fuel.
* Fill diesel filters with SEA FOAM to clean injectors fast.

When Added to Crankcase (Oil)

1. Frees sticky lifters and rings
2. Increases R.P.M.'s vacuum and compression
3. Cleans dirty parts
4. Removes moisture
5. Cleans PCV valve systems

One pint treats 10 quarts of oil (avg. 1 1/2 ounce per quart).

When Added to Fuel Tank

* Cleans fuel injectors and carburetor jets
* Cleans carbon as you drive
* Lubricates upper cylinders
* De-ices and removes moisture
* Diesel full conditioner and anti gel
* Stabilizes fuel

One pint treats 8-25 gallons of fuel (average 1 ounce per gallon).

In Injector Cleaning Machines

Add a 50/50 blend of fuel and SEA FOAM into injector cleaning machine. Run directly through the fuel rails to clean injectors fast. Add SEA FOAM to your fuel tank to clean injectors as you drive.

·
on line
240 Posts
It works great if you have a lot of miles on your vehicle. I can't imagine anyone here having enough miles on their X for it to be of benefit. But yes, it works great pouring it through the brake booster hose into the intake. Just always be sure to do it to an already warmed up motor. It cleans all the carbon off of the piston tops, etc.

Never, never, ever pour it in with your oil!! I have seen quiet a few people do that on the Camaro board and waste a motor because an oil galley got clogged with trash (sludge), and a main bearing or something wasn't being lubricated because of the clog.

·
on line
131 Posts
I've used it in my '66 Mustang as a stabilizer in the gas tank. It works well in this application since I only get to run it once a week or so. Plus I've noticed the car starts easier and faster than before. Don't quite know about using it in the crankcase, though.

·
on line
331 Posts
Once my Jeep got over 100k I used it in the gas and crankcase with every oil change worked great never had a problem. I have heard of oxygen sensor problems occasionally when using sea foam. That might explain why it is running rough. Maybe cleaing the o2 sensors would help.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I think it's in the group with Marvel Mystery Oil, STP and PB Blaster, It just works. Pretty funny though that when it ran rough you jumped in and took it for a ride Ha ha. Crack me up.

Someone mentions not having enough miles to do any good? Not really, 50K miles of Highway would do less damage than 7K miles of city. Any car can benefit from a decarb, it starts the moment you fire up, and robs you of performance and MPG as you go. It's a good idea to keep on top of it. MC

·
on line
551 Posts
Yep the first time it's scary when you first start up and al that white smoke comes out the exhaust!
But it works and works well. Haven't done the X yet, but have done it on my last 2 vehicles

·
on line
240 Posts
usmc xterra said:
Someone mentions not having enough miles to do any good? Not really, 50K miles of Highway would do less damage than 7K miles of city. Any car can benefit from a decarb, it starts the moment you fire up, and robs you of performance and MPG as you go. It's a good idea to keep on top of it. MC

LOL! If your engine carbons up that quickly, you have other problems. At 100k miles, I could understand.

·
on line
114 Posts
Magic Rat said:
Yep the first time it's scary when you first start up and al that white smoke comes out the exhaust!
But it works and works well. Haven't done the X yet, but have done it on my last 2 vehicles
Especially if your neighbors think that your truck is on fire and call 911.

·
on line
82 Posts
My wife's uncle swears by the stuff. He uses it instead of stabil for winter storage of summer vehicles. His testimony alone got me to buy a few bottles and I used some in a lawn mower and a few other small engines.

I was going to use it in my motorcycle, but Harley has some strong words about not using any gasoline additives. They used to say the same thing about synthetic oil.

JasonK06X said:
...But yes, it works great pouring it through the brake booster hose into the intake. Just always be sure to do it to an already warmed up motor. It cleans all the carbon off of the piston tops, etc.
I am not a "car guy" so can you guys break down why you would put this fuel additive in the brake booster?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's not just a fuel additive, it's a carbon deposit cleaner. Pouring it into the brake booster line cleans the top half of your engine (ie valves).

·
on line
776 Posts
sea foam

Has anyone had problems with the SES light coming on after putting this stuff in their fuel tank? I do!!! Also my fuel guage is not registering the full tank I just put in my tank!! (Still says empty) Anybody got any ideas??

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My guess, has nothing to do with Sea Foam. Sounds like your fuel sending unit went bad. It's happened to a few people here.

·
on line
776 Posts
sea foam

Truck definately seems a little smoother now (with sea foam), but do you really think it was coincidence, that my SES came on within literally a minute after adding the sea foam and filling up??? I guess coincidence is possible, but just seems a little weird, given the timing! Also my gas guage is not wanting to register until a couple hours or more after filling up! Is this another symptom of the sending unit? Thanks in advance for dealing with my PITA questions!!!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep, the gas gauge not working is what makes me think it's the sending unit. The people who have had the problem had both things happen, the SES light comes on and the gas gauge doesn't register at all or it registers incorrectly.

·
on line
776 Posts
sea foam

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing that the sending unit is in the gas tank, and will be a real PITA? Is this a job that should and can be done yourself? Cause, i dont like going to the stealership! AT ALL! :cussing:

Thanks again, RRX.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When Darrin (Shodan) had his replaced at the dealer I think he said it was $500 because it was out of warranty. If you are within warranty it should be covered. He said the part it's self was $250 or so.

And yes, it's in the gas tank.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts