Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a freak about my X being clean and all but when I went to Moab I did a trail that had a bunch of brush and I paid the price by getting a ton of little scratches on the sides of my X. I know a guy how does paint repair for a living and has been doing it for 15+ years I guess but before I ask him is this something that can be buffed out? Yes I know it probably depends on the size and depth of the scratch but most are light however noticeable from about 5 feet away.

I'm all depressed but with the new lift and gear on this baby I'm feeling ok.

:angry4:

·
on line
376 Posts
Same thing happened to me on my ride this weekend. Gently run your fingernail over it and if you dont feel anything then it is a surface scratch. I had both sides of my truck scratched up. I took some GS27 scratch remover (the as seen on tv stuff) and basicly buffed the whole truck w/ it. Then i waxed it to remove the slight haze left over and the scratches are gone. Be prepared to spend some time on it though. I spent 5 hours today between washing, waxing, and buffing.

·
on line
163 Posts
I wouldn't use your finger nail because it can cause a "surface scratch" as well.

FIRST Make sure the section with the scratch is clean, and then just run your finger across it to feel if there is a change in the surface...

If not, then it will just buff/wax out.
if so, you might still be able to buff it out, but I would recommend getting an opinion from a good shop. If you don't know one, LMK I know a few in Denver

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Wow man!

You know what would have been helpful on that trail is bush-leaders, those wires that you run from the upper corner of each side of the roof, down to both corners of the bumper. They push or break overhang away from the front.
For lack of a better explanation:

________
Wendie 99

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yeah, we call them Limb Risers out here. Dana (the black X) usually has them on when he knows he's going through thick covered trails. I don't know if he expected anything like what we had that day though. :)

But back on topic, obviously it depends on where you wheel on how many scratches you get. Around here, you get a lot so you learn to live with them. The first few hundred were hard to accept. After I couldn't tell where a new one was any more I quit caring. :)

·
on line
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I talked with a buddy of mine and he recommend a 4 stage job with all 3M stuff. Basically a light grit compound to get the scratches out, a swirl mark remover, final buff, then a polish using this really good 3M stuff. I've had less than an hour ever using a buffer but he told me what to do and I'm sure I'll do fine. Any tips would be appreciated.

Hopefully it will turn out good. Should have pictures middle of next week when I do it. Was going to set aside tomorrow to this project but the supply store had only 1 of the 7 products I needed in stock. If anyone thinks they know of a place in Denver or South that might have them let me know. Otherwise everything comes in Monday and I'll probably do it Wednesday.

Non of the scratches are too bad but it freaked me out seeing my X in that shape for the first time. Get 'er done! Then again it was worth every scratch! I won't miss them either though.

·
on line
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I just got around to working on getting my X back into shape after Moab. Just today I started with a whole line of 3M products and drivers side of the X done. NO SCRATCHES! I mean I'm telling you this new stuff from 3M is killer. I'm only on the 1st stage two more to go.

Anyway just a heads up. I'll post part numbers and picks tomorrow when I finish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts