Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
on line
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering what some of your methods may be for trying to work scratches out of the clear coat on your X's body. I went wheeling this weekend and got quite a few from overhanging brush and even one pretty good one from something bigger than brush.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Leave them for now if you plan on wheeling again anytime soon. I wait till i know im not going to go wheeling for a while before i worry about scratches. Some people will tell you to not worry, you will get scratches anytime you wheel. But i say there is nothing wrong with not wanting your daily driver to look like a p.o.s.. So i say wait if your going to wheel again soon. Otherwise, mqguires makes some good scratch removal stuff. Wax it really well before you wheel as well, this will help you prevent as many scratches.

·
on line
2,651 Posts
A mothers ball and some of the turtle wax ice stuff seems to work well. You can use it on the plastic too and there's no white residue. This is about the best I've been able to do. Deep scratches will stay.

·
on line
97 Posts
Sounds like you are going to need some wetsanding with compound/polishing. I use the 3M stuff, its a little pricey but its good stuff. I'll post the info later when I get home.

·
on line
1,081 Posts
Go to your local full service car wash and ask to speak to the full detail manager. Get his or her opinion on the scratches. A professional should be able to make the finish look new again with a buffer by using a multi step polishing process. You will not be able to do it at home correctly, and you run the risk of burning the paint if you do it incorrectly. Keep in mind that there are a limited number of times that you can polish a car before you start running out of clear coat though, so be sure that you're done putting scratches on it for the time being if you're going to get it fixed.

·
on line
704 Posts
I use Nu Finish Scratch Doctor. It has been pretty good to me so far. If the scratch is too deep, then you're SOL. Wear it with pride. As I see it, there are two ways to deal with scratches:

1. Scratch doctors + wax at home.

2. After several years, repaint the car. You should have enough body damage by that time to justify a deductible.

Going to a professional detailer will add up over time. Save that money and repaint the car :)

/v

·
on line
3,050 Posts
So you use the Meguires stuff...I like there stuff I use there 3 step process cleaner, wax, polish...and then the quick detailing mist when I am in a hurry...must check into at scratch remover...thanks

·
on line
704 Posts
Here is another tip for you that makes no sense after you hear it for the first time: Wax your car before you go wheeling. It makes it easier to clean things up later on! I have been doing this with great success. I do have some Arizona pinstripes, but they are rather minor.

·
on line
704 Posts
Okay, I got a question about major scratches. My passenger side met several bushes and at least one joshua tree... There is not a square inch of metal w/o a scratch. Does anybody have pictures before and after using Mothers Scratch Removal?

·
on line
2,072 Posts
I use Mothers. When I really want the truck looking good I start with the clay bar, the use steps 1,2 and 3.
Works great - most surface scratches are gone, and it helps prevent scratches for the next trip.

·
on line
704 Posts
Bueller44 said:
I use Mothers. When I really want the truck looking good I start with the clay bar, the use steps 1,2 and 3.
Works great - most surface scratches are gone, and it helps prevent scratches for the next trip.
Hi,

Since I don't have any place where I can wash the car, I was thinking of a modified 4 step Mother's solution:

- Wash
- Step 1: Clay bar.
- Wash
- Step 2: Scratch remover
- Step 3: Sealer
- Step 4: Wax

I will post before and after pics once I am done. However, I have a feeling that we will be heading to a professional detailer. Joshua trees are bad mother f*****s :)

·
on line
26 Posts
Haha, Someone ask Jake (Xteradude) how his scratch removal kit worked, hahaha. I think he just ended up using mat black spray paint, Matched the paint job better too.

·
on line
2,573 Posts
3M Hand Glaze - I have yet to use it on my X but our Shop detail guy uses it on all of our Fleet trucks and it does wonders. Like my X all the trucks are black and show all the scratches but this stuff gave them a show room look.

·
on line
143 Posts
You can find 3M products at Napa Auto Parts or your local Auto Body Supply...BTW..3M Hand Glaze works better when applied with a "machine" and 3M Machine Glaze works better when applied by hand....

miles said:
got a sight for this 3M Hand Glaze

1 - 20 of 29 Posts