Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

scoyoc's 2012 P4X-wing Fighter

13K views 50 replies 13 participants last post by  motobri 
#1 · (Edited)
Yeah, I'm a huge Star Wars fan. :D

Welcome to my build and trip page. This rig is built for week long, family overland adventures and some light Moab 'wheeling.

Username: scoyoc
CB Handle: Red Leader
Make: Nissan
Year: 2012
Model: Xterra
Trim: Pro-4X
Color: Lava Red
Code Name:
The X-wing Fighter

Intro photo

Somewhere on Sand Flats, Moab, Utah

Mods
Exterior:

Hefty Fabworks Aluminum Front Bumper
Max Gear (@Maxterra) rear bumper with swing-out tire carrier and gas can holders
Passenger side Gobi ladder
Shrockworks 2-tube Sliders
Swapped the wetbox for the standard faring
Unistrut crossbars w/ DIY traction board tray
6.5' Ironmand awning
BFG All-terrains KO2 (285 75 R16)
Evap System breather
All Dogs rear diff breather​

Suspension:
Front:
2.0" Radflo (OEM lengh set to 1.25" lift)
600# Eibach Springs
Removed front sway bar​
Rear:
Timbren Active Off-road bump stops
Alcan Spring leaf springs 700# and 1.5" lift
Bilstein 5100 extended travel shocks (2"-2.5")
Adjustable lift shackles (from 4x4parts.com)
NissTec U-bolt Flip Kit
Removed rear sway bar​

Interior:
Vehicle Monitor: Veepeak OBDII reader and ODB Fusion on iOS
Navigation: GaiaGPS on a iPad Mini (5th Gen)
Custom rear cargo shelf
(TNX) ABS Off Mod (version 3) with a momentary button
Onboard air - Quick Air 2 compressor​

Communications: Baofeng UV-5R

Recovery: This section is not finished yet...
Warn VR Evo 10S
Actiontrax recover boards
6-ton Safe Jack bottle jack kit

Photos
September 2015 - We had to test her out on The Baby Lions Back on the way home from the dealer.

October 2018 - Driving down the backside of Elephant Hill mostly stock (just Timbren bump stops).

See less See more
#30 ·
Trip: Loko-Koko (The Local Kokopelli Loop that is…)
Day 3

We stayed on Kokoplli until the top of Rose Garden Hill then turned around and found a sweet camp to finish the trip.

After scarfing down some breakfast burritos we made for Dewey Bridge. This section of the Kokopelli Trail kept up with what we drove the afternoon before.

Leaving Dewey Bridge the road was a smooth graded road until we got to the exit of Rose Garden Hill. Then the four-wheeling kicked back in with a vengeance. What a great section of track.

Then we got to the top of Rose Garden Hill…

After deciding that we didn’t want to take our rigs down that we headed back toward Dewey Bridge to find a camp…

#31 ·
Trip: Loko-Koko (The Local Kokopelli Loop that is…)
Day 4

Mark (in the GX) had to get back to work, so Adam (in the Taco) and I drove Cottonwood Canyon to the Dolores Fords to finish the trip.

After another hearty breakfast Adam and I checked out Cottonwood Canyon which had one of the coolest shelf roads I’ve driven in a while and some good ‘wheeling.

Then we drove the Dolores River fords. The road down to the fords goes through a sweet canyon and we say some bear tracks on the road. The fords were fun.

Then we had a little lunch at Dewey Bridge and drove back to Moab on Hwy 128. I’ve driven the the Kokopelli Trail from Onion Creek to Moab, but it would have been cool to complete the trail. Well, that’s the way it goes sometimes. And so this route stays on the list for another day…

#38 ·
Mod: Max Gear Rear Bumper Install
Date: 13 December 2019
Mileage: 71,263

I am still so excited about getting this bumper! Worth every penny. Thanks for all your hard work @maXTERRA.

I drove up to Dave's shop and had him install the bumper.

Then I couldn't wait to kit it out when I got back home.

And since I was going that far, I though I might as well put a Gobi ladder on too.

#40 ·
Mod: 2-inch OEM length Radflo's with 600# Eibach springs
Date: 16 October 2020
Mileage: 77,482

Due to a major life-changing event (we are moving to Ft. Collins, CO in the spring) I pulled the trigger on 2-inch OEM length Radflo's with 600# Eibach springs from Nisstec. Now I'll be able to drive my bucket list of Moab trails before we leave town.

New Radflo's next to Bilstein 5100's

Installed. Now time to drive!

#41 · (Edited)
Trip: Thanksgiving on the White Rim
Dates: 21-25 November 2020

This was a truly epic tip of a lifetime. We had originally planned to go to Death Valley, but COVID restrictions nixed that plan. I jumped on Recreation.gov one evening just to see what was available and this whole tip was open. I suspect someone had to cancel and I just happened to be on the website at the right time. We drove clockwise, from Shafer Trial to Mineral Bottom, spending 5 chilly nights in one of the most amazing landscapes.

Day 1: The dads drove to Airport C camp while the moms and kids hiked the Lathrop Trial to camp. Once we met up with the rest of the crew, we drove down Lathrop Canyon to the River before making camp.

Top of the Shaffer switchbacks.

Airport C camp

Day 2: The next day we set out for the White Crack in time for an amazing sunset. This is the best camp on the White Rim in my opinion. I still can't believe we scored this camp.

Day 3: Then we headed to Murphy A. We dropped the moms and kids off at the Murphy Wash Trial and they hiked up to the Murphy Hogback Trail then to camp, while the dads drove to camp then hiked out to meet the crew on the trial. Sorry, no shots of camp, but it's a sweet one.

Day 4: Off to Taylor Canyon through some of the coolest terrain on the trial. We had lunch at the Wilhite Slot Canyon.

Taylor Camp

Day 5: After a quick hike up to Moses and Zeus, we headed out and back to civilization.

#42 ·
Mod: Unistrut Roof Rack
Date: 20-25 March 2021

This has been a week-long project. I put on unistrut crossbars on Saturday and have been fiddling after work to mount my traction board tray and Yakima LoadWarrior basket.

My traction board tray is DIY out of aluminum stock and pop rivets, and I was able to mount it under the crossbars for easy access when the basket is loaded. I still need to work out a good pin system to secure it. It’s a little too fiddley right now.

#45 ·
Trip: Dad's 4WD Weekend 2021
Dates: 9-11 April 2021

This is a little late, but I'm trying to get my build page up to date before spring hits.

Another great Dad's weekend in the books. We originally wanted to drive Lockhart Basin to Elephant Hill, but got turned around at the crux on Lockhart and came up with an alternative on the fly.

Day 1

We headed out from Moab on Kane Creek Rd, up and over Hurah Pass, and out toward Chicken Corners.

The beginning of Lockhard was AWESOME! Great wheeling, really fun. The GX was in the lead and ripped out the stem of his rear drivers tire on the bottom of the crux on Lockhart.

Since we didn't want to go further with out a spare, since the spare went on the truck, we turned around and found a camp out near The Wind Caves and started happy hour.

Day 2

After a big breakfast, we headed back into Moab and dropped the tire off at the tire shop.

Then headed out to Boxcar Bridge and Kamikaze. This is a rally cool trail south of Moab, out on Hatch Point with great views and melow but engaging 4-wheeling. Toward the end of the day we descended Kamikaze Hill, a long, exposed, steep slickrock hill and found a fantastic camp at the end of the road overlooking Indian Creek.

Day 3

Our last day on the trail. We decided to hit Cameo Cliffs and link it up with the west end of Rimrocker and drive as much dirt as possible back to Moab. This is a link-up I have been thinking about for a while and I'm psyched to have done it.

#46 ·
Trip: goneMoab 2021
Dates: 24-28 May 2021

My first goneMoab! And I can't wait until May 2022 to do it again.

Day 1: Dome Plateau
Rating: Moderate
Trail Leader: Nick Savatgy from Rogue Overland.

Super fun trail and great group of wheelers to kick off the week.

Day 2: Elephant Hill
Trail Leader: Me.

My first trail lead. It was really cool to have the opportunity to show off my favorite trail.

Day 3: Rest day
I took a day off.

Day 4: Bartlett Overlook (3D)
Trail Leader: Me.

Great day on the trail with an awesome group of people.

Day 5: Dome Plateau
Trail Leader: Brian Slagle
Four of us showed up for this one. A mellow day on the trail was the perfect way to wrap up goneMoab 2021.

#47 ·
Trip: Circumnavigation of Dinosaur National Monument
Dates: 23-25 July 2021

I hatched this plan to drive around Dinosaur National Monument on as much dirt as possible and started mapping out the route on Gaia. I developed a sweet little 211 mile weekend trip with 184 miles of dirt and 4WD roads. None of the tracks were too technical, but the moderate tracks were a enough to keep the weekend exciting. I was working through some personal stuff on this trip and didn't take a whole lot of photos or side trips, lots of driving. This is an awesome route with plenty of optertunities for side trips and sight seeing.

You can download the *.kmz here if you are interesed.

Day 1. Harper's Corner Road to Deerlodge Campground

I set out after work on Friday afternoon looking to drive a few hours and find a camp. I started on Harper's Corner Road (paved) and took the Yampa Bench Road east. Yampa Bench was an easy, mostly graded road with a couple minor washouts that required high clearance. I decided not to go down to Echo Park because it was getting late and had dinner at Castle Park Overlook, about half way through.

After dinner I finished the Yampa Bench Road and took the Dobbins Spring section of the Yampa Valley Trail down to Deerlodge. This was the best section of 4-wheeling on the entire route. It's a tight little track mostly used by SxS's and ATV's. A great finish to the work week. It was getting late and I didn't stop for photos. :-/

Day 2. Deerlodge to Point of the Pines
What a great day of driving! After a lazy breakfast and a couple cups of coffee, I set off norht on Moffet County Road 25 to County Road 10 where a bridge crosses the Little Snake River.

Sorry, no photo of the bridge...

Then I took County Road 10 all the way to Lodore. After a quick break, I jumped back in the Xterra and went north on Hwy 318 to Browns Park and took the refuge tour route throught the Refuge to The Swinging Bridge where I stopped for lunch.

I went up Crouse Canyon after a lesiurly lunch. This was a great, mostly graded dirt road througha cool little canyon and topped out in the rolling hills of sagebrush sea that dominates the lanscape.

I was hoping to cut across Jones Hole Road, but private land kept me on pavement for a few miles until I was able to jump on the Diamond Mountain Road. Then I took a cool little 2-track down Blair Ridge, through an old burn to the Island Park Road.

I had dinner along the Green River near the end of the Island Park Road, and was going to camp out there but a family of 3 had bogarted all the camp sites in the campground. They set their tent in one site and their kitchen in another and parked in the third. Since I got the clear message that I wasn't wanted, I happily pushed on to look for my own secluded campsite. I took Island Park to Bean Draw, a two track along a gas/oil pipeline.

Bean Draw dropped onto the main Dinosaur NM road and drove out towards Josey's Cabin where I took the Blue Mountain Raod up to Point of the Pines. The Blue Mountain Raod is WILD man! It's probably the steepest graded road I've ever been on. I geared down in 4L just to take advantabe of the torque and power goin up. I definately advise 4L if you go down it! There are a handful of AWESOME camps on in the ponderosa pines up at the top of the ridge. Sorry for being lame an not taking pics, I was pushing dark and it was time to crack a cold one.

Day 3. Point of the Pines back to Harper's Corner Road
The rest of the Blue Mountain Road to Harper's Corner is a cruise through the sagebrush sea. I think I was back on pavement in 20 minutes after I left camp, after lunch. This was a great weekend to clear my head and get out on the trail.

#48 ·
Mod: Hefty Fabworks Front Bumper
Date: 10 January 2022
Mileage: 95,810

Hefty aluminum front bumper installed! I was the first on out of the shop with the new design, square fog lights and a larger hoop. And as long as I was at it I painted the grill and polished the headlights.

Photo of front end sometime in December 2021

After painting the grill and polishing the headlights

Bumper installed at Hefty Fabworks

Glam shots when I got home. I'm so PSYCHED!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.