Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

scoyoc's 2012 P4X-wing Fighter

13K views 50 replies 13 participants last post by  motobri 
#1 · (Edited)
Yeah, I'm a huge Star Wars fan. :D

Welcome to my build and trip page. This rig is built for week long, family overland adventures and some light Moab 'wheeling.

Username: scoyoc
CB Handle: Red Leader
Make: Nissan
Year: 2012
Model: Xterra
Trim: Pro-4X
Color: Lava Red
Code Name:
The X-wing Fighter

Intro photo

Somewhere on Sand Flats, Moab, Utah

Mods
Exterior:

Hefty Fabworks Aluminum Front Bumper
Max Gear (@Maxterra) rear bumper with swing-out tire carrier and gas can holders
Passenger side Gobi ladder
Shrockworks 2-tube Sliders
Swapped the wetbox for the standard faring
Unistrut crossbars w/ DIY traction board tray
6.5' Ironmand awning
BFG All-terrains KO2 (285 75 R16)
Evap System breather
All Dogs rear diff breather​

Suspension:
Front:
2.0" Radflo (OEM lengh set to 1.25" lift)
600# Eibach Springs
Removed front sway bar​
Rear:
Timbren Active Off-road bump stops
Alcan Spring leaf springs 700# and 1.5" lift
Bilstein 5100 extended travel shocks (2"-2.5")
Adjustable lift shackles (from 4x4parts.com)
NissTec U-bolt Flip Kit
Removed rear sway bar​

Interior:
Vehicle Monitor: Veepeak OBDII reader and ODB Fusion on iOS
Navigation: GaiaGPS on a iPad Mini (5th Gen)
Custom rear cargo shelf
(TNX) ABS Off Mod (version 3) with a momentary button
Onboard air - Quick Air 2 compressor​

Communications: Baofeng UV-5R

Recovery: This section is not finished yet...
Warn VR Evo 10S
Actiontrax recover boards
6-ton Safe Jack bottle jack kit

Photos
September 2015 - We had to test her out on The Baby Lions Back on the way home from the dealer.

October 2018 - Driving down the backside of Elephant Hill mostly stock (just Timbren bump stops).

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Trip: Tower Arch & Arches 4WD Trail, Arches National Park, Utah
Date: 28 August 2016

This was the first real 4WD trial we did in the Xterra. We drove the 4WD road in Arches from the Tower Arch trailhead to Willow Springs. The photos are on the hill from the beginning of the 4WD road in Salt Valley to the Tower Arch TH.

The track is pretty low key for the most of the trail. There are some small ledges (about 12") on the hill between Salt Valley Rd and Tower Arch TH, some deep sand in the washes, and a deep sand hill just north of Eye of the Whale. This is a really fun track with great views of Arches NP.

Photos

Map of route.

Climbing the first rock ledges.

Dropping down the back side of the first hill.

#5 · (Edited)
Trip: Colorado Alpine Loop
Dates: July 2-5 2018

We drove Corkscew Gulch and Cinnamon Pass, on our way out to Salida over the 4th, then took Engineer Pass on the back. What an awesome trail! I didn't take any photos of driving, but here is a couple shots of camp.

Camp in Velocity Basin

Camp near the Handies Peak Trailhead.

#6 · (Edited)
Mod: Midland 75-822 CB Radio Install
Date: 20 September 2018

I installed a Midland 75-822 CB radio with a 3' Firestik FireFly mounted to a Diamond K400.

I ran my antenna cable through rear post panel

... along bottom of rear window

... above DS passenger door

... under backseat floor mat

... and between console and driver's seat.

I think the antenna looks pretty good.

#7 · (Edited)
Mod: Custom Gear Shelf Build & Install
Date: 23 September 2018

A buddy and I built a custom gear shelf for The X. This was a fun afternoon project in the garage.

Low let'stest her out and go camping!

7 December, 2019 - Added unistrut crossbars to the sides of the rack for extra support for boxes when not fully loaded.

#8 · (Edited)
Mod: Timbern Active Off-road Bumpstop Install
Date: 2 October 2018
Mileage: ~60,000

This is the first upgrade to my suspension. On our recent Alpine Loop trip, The X-wing was bottoming out on everything. We are planning a trip into the Needles backcountry (in Canyonlands National Park, Utah), and I don't want to drive Elephant Hill with the stock bumpstops.

Not many pics on this one, and the only one I have is kinda crappy. :-/

#9 · (Edited)
Trip: Elephant Hill, Canyonlands National Park, Utah
Dates: 5-6 October 2018

We drove over Elephant Hill and camped at Bobby Jo camp. We had planned to leave on the 8th, but we were chased out by the rain. There was water flowing down the road on Elephant Hill when we were driving up it, and waterfalls coming off the slickrock when we got back to the Elephant Hill TH. I have been over Elephant Hill about 20 times and haven't seen that much water back there. What an exciting trip!

Most of these photos are courtesy of Mark Weissinger.

Trip map.

Dropping down the back side of Elephant Hill.

Climbing Coors Hill.

View from camp.

Driving out it started pouring when we got the Silver Stairs.

Driving back up Elephant Hill in the rain.

There were waterfalls coming off the rocks at the trailhead...

#10 · (Edited)
Mod: Alcan Leaf Springs Install
Date: 18 October 2018
Mileage: 60,182

My buddy Mark (same buddy that helped me build the cargo shelf) and I installed my Alcan Spring leaf springs and NissTec u-bolt flip kit. I ordered the leaves 700# and 1.5 inch lift.

Everything went smoothly, except the rear bushings didn't fit onto the shackle; the ID was too small for the shackle post. We ended up drilling it out a little to get it on.

The Alcan leaves next to the OEM leaves.

Now we are having fun!

Something's not right here...

Drilling out the bushing.

Got everything put together.

#12 ·
#16 ·
Awesome video up Coors! What a white knuckle adventure it was, I'm sure. I can't wait to start modding on mine, the list just keeps growing!

Q: How do you still have the stock mudflaps on!?

Most all of mine were torn up on the first off road trail we went on..

#17 ·
Solid work! I think you've chosen some really good mods so far. The ABS one in particular is something I've actually been considering ever since I had my rear ABS sensor fail triggering it to be off. I much preferred the truck when the ABS nanny was off so i may be doing this mod in the near future.

#21 · (Edited)
An A-Maze-ing Thanksgiving

Trip:
The Maze, Canyonlands National Park, Utah
Dates: 18-23 November 2019

This was the first fully loaded trip on the new leaf springs and front shocks. OMFG! I was (and still am) blown away at how awesome my suspension set up is. Fully loaded for 6 days of food and water and camping gear for 4 people and the X didn't bat a eye. I had 1"-1.5" of space between my axle and bump stops FULLY LOADED. And she drives like a real beast off-road. In short, I LOVE my new suspension.

Side-by-side comparison with a stock P4X at the City Market parking lot the morning we left for the trip. I'm fully loaded with all our gear for the week, ~700 lbs of cargo and people.

Is there a better place to have Thanksgiving?! We drove in from Green River on the San Rafael Road. Our first camp was the Maze Overlook.

The next day the dads drove around to Standing Rock with the kids and the moms hiked through the Maze and met us on the other side.

Our camp at Standing Rock

We had a layover at Standing Rock and the dads hike down to the Harvest Scene.

Then we drove to The Doll House.

We laid over for Thanksgiving Day and roasted a couple chickens in dutch ovens.

We finished the trip by driving out to Hite.

What an awesome trip! Great driving. Great scenery. Great friends. And precious solitude. Once we left pavement, we only say 4 other vehicles all week.

#22 · (Edited)
Trip: Devils Kitchen, The Needles District, Canyonlands National Park, Utah
Dates: 25-27 May 2019

We nabbed a permit for Devils Kitchen for Memorial Day weekend. Unfortunately, I didn't take many photos but I did get some videos.

On the first day the dads dropped the moms and kids off at the Elephant Hill trailhead and drove over Elephant Hill to camp while everyone else hiked through the Needles to camp.

The second day the dads dropped everyone off at the Join Trail trailhead and drove up Bobby's Hole to Ruin Park.

Then we drove back out to the Elephant Hill Trailhead and went home.

#23 · (Edited)
Trip: Bears Ears Overland Route
Dates: 8-10 August 2019

I have video I still need to stitch together and edit. Hopefully I can get that done in the next few weeks, but it took me this long to get this up, so.... :-|

Download a Google Earth file (*.kmz) of the route here.
Overview map

Day 1: Hwy 211 to Elk Ridge via Beef Basin Road.

I drove out to Cathedral Point (someday I'll get that video together...). That was a GREAT 4WD road offering stunning view and some great driving.

We ended up getting to camp in the dark, but woke up to a nice camp in the morning.

Day 2: Elk Ridge to Bears Ears, then up South Cottonwood Canyon Rd

This was a great tour. No real wheeling, but great scenery and views.

We got to camp early so the kids could play in the Ponderosa's.

Day 3: South Cottonwood Canyon to Hwy 211 via Steven's Canyon

#25 ·
Trip: Fins and Things with @PhullD
Dates: 22 September 2019

Me, PhullD and my buddy Mark (he drives a GX, but he's okay :-D ) hit up Fins and Things when PhullD’s came through town on his 2019 epic road trip. A few of the highlights posted here for a little eye candy. Most (probably all actually, I was driving my X) of these pics were taken by PhullD and Mark.

Starting at the beginning…

A vew of the rigs when we took a break to BS after the first good section of trial

The first good obstacle on the other side of Sand Flats Rd

Now that we are done with the Things, let’s get back to the Fins

We HAD to finish on Baby Lion’s Back

#28 · (Edited)
Trip: Loko-Koko (The Local Kokopelli Loop that is…)
Dates: 11-14 October 2019

This is a long one, so grab a beer and sit back... I had to break this post up by days so keep scrolling.

This was a dad’s trip that didn’t solidify until we were gassing before leaving town. My buddies Mark (in the Lexux GX), Adam (in the Toyota Tacoma) and I had been planning a trip over Columbus Day weekend. We had planned to bump out to Grand Junction (GJ), CO and drive The Kokopelli Trail back to Moab. The night before we left I started looking at maps trying to figure out how we could stay on dirt all the way out the GJ and avoid I-70. Then I saw this…

Starting in Moab, we take the Copper Ridge Trail to the Klondike Bluffs Trail, then jump on to Yellow Cat, and then to Kokopelli and back to Moab via Kokopelli. Well, it almost worked. We got to Rose Garden Hill late in the afternoon, and didn’t have enough time to get our rigs down it. So we turned around there. I think I need a set of legit bridging ladders to get down that hill anyway… but a cool concept and a fun weekend to be sure.

Here’s a map of the concept route. Download a Google Earth file (*.kmz) here.

This is what we drove. My POV camera died ½-way through Day 1, so I only have photos.

Day 1
We started in Moab and drove Copper Ridge to Klonkide Bluffs, then to the east end Yellow Cat.

Copper Ridge had a great entry and provided amazing views once we got through the first obstacle and some fun four-wheeling along the way.

Klondike Bluffs was a real treat. Great sustained four-wheeling with amazing views and some cool sights on the way.
Theropod (Allisoaurus-like) dinosuar tracks.

Back to the four-wheeling…

Yellow cat was a fun scenic traverse from Klondike Bluffs to The Dome Plateau. Some cool relicts of days gone by, great scenery, and some good four-wheeling.

The day was getting late, so we found a good camp on some slickrock and enjoyed some beverages and good food.

#29 · (Edited)
Trip: Loko-Koko (The Local Kokopelli Loop that is…)
Day 2

We finished Yellow Cat and then drove up to West Water and took Kokopelli almost all the way to Dewey Bridge.

After a good breakfast we jumped back into our rigs and hit the trial. Yellow Cat did not disappoint.

Then we bumped onto pavement and made our way to Westwater where we jumped back on the Kokopelli Trail and made our way back toward Dewey Bridge.

Once back on across Hwy 128 the four-wheeling got really good again…

The day was getting late so we made for camp and some fajitas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.