Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SCCX did the western and central portions of the Mojave Road this month. We had a good size turnout of 13 Xterras, many of them 2nd Gen models. I think all but 2 of the group camped out Saturday night, but as you'll see not all together.

Here are some of my shots from the first part of the day Saturday, starting out in Afton Canyon, though the Mojave River wash, and heading across Soda Lake.

Water crossing at Afton Canyon. Good thing we had done the rear diff breather extensions.

Under the bridge. I'm pretty sure the color coordination was unintentional.

On the trail towards Soda Lake. Notice how my front license plate is a bit bent? After exiting the water crossing it was sticking straight out at a 90-degree angle. I think I dropped into a hole during the crossing and the force of the water bent it upwards. The dealer's license plate frame just snapped off. Wonder what they'll say if I ask them to warranty replace the frame. :glasses8:

Stopped in the middle of Soda Lake.

I wish I could say that the trip went well for everyone, but that was not to be. Bobby's truck had fuel delivery problems due to a bad connector on a sensor. After quite a bit of time spent trying to rig a fix or bypass he decided to try limping back to civilization once we intersected a paved road. Heather and I thought it would be best to go with him, since there is not much in Baker, CA (well, other than the world's biggest thermometer).

We (2 trucks) wound up cold camping on edge of town behind a truck stop. We had a lot of gear and firewood but did not want to risk a camp fire or starting up our stoves. In the morning we left his X at a garage and drove 130 miles to get a car hauler trailer and truck. By 7PM Sunday they and the X were finally home safely.

Dawn arrives at our campsite Sunday morning on the edge of the Valero Plain. I'm told the rest of the group camped in a beautiful spot along the Mojave Road "near some rocks", we camped near what turned out to be a pile of trash. That's what happens when you pick a campsite in the dark.

Hopefully Paul, Jim or Rob will post some shots of the rest of the trip.

·
on line
564 Posts
Sweet pics Frank. Glad to hear y'all made it back ok.

Holy c$#p...that water was DEEP! How'd my non-lifted X make it through that?

I'll post some pics later today.

Rob

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Hello all. My kids and i had a blast and i swear, all i heard on the way back home was lava tubes, lava tubes. I wish i could have done the whole trip but there's always next time. Ill post the pics i took tonight. Cant wait for the next run!!! Oh and thanks to all for helping Chris (fluery123) and i get out safely. It was a long ride home but it was all good.

·
on line
18 Posts
Very nice pics. Looks fun. I love the X,s lined up under the bridge.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Here are some of the pics that i took. I managed to take individual pictures of everyones rig while we were parked at Soda Lake for lunch. If you would like a pic of your rig, PM or email me and ill get one sent to you.

Leaving McDonalds parking lot

Representing Long Beach

Group shot...all we need is a trian passing by for the ultimate shot.

Just an idea how small we are compared to mother nature herself.

Deep water crossing

1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen...what a beautiful thing aint it.

Lunch at Soda Lake.

Caravan out of Soda Lake.

Moderator: Fixed it for you!

·
on line
564 Posts
Hey Erwin...your pics aren't loading...or is it me?

Rob

·
on line
564 Posts
Cherie and I had an awesome time. Thanks y'all for your hospitality!

Soda Lake

Top of Lava Tubes

Marl Springs

Camp Spot...don't ask me where!

Government Holes

Rock Springs...Hey Randy, why did they name it that?

Lunch at Rock Springs

Caruthers Canyon

Air up at Lanfair Road

Thanks again guys and gals for the great time!

Rob-n-Cherie

·
on line
1,149 Posts
I see them just fine. I dont want to double post though. Is there anyone else who cant see the pics? I see them on my end.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Hope these work. If not, I dont know what im doing wrong.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Can you guys see the pics now? let me know. All i did was resize the pics. I can see them in the post from my computer. Hope it works.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
SCWEET!!!

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Dude I need to make it to one of those runs. That looks great man. Awesome pics guys.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts