Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Hope this message finds you all doing well after the Thanksgiving Holiday (for us Americans).

Anyway, I currently autocross my other Nissan (lightly modified 04.5 350Z) and am planning to get a bit more serious in terms of tracking my car. As such, it's probably going to make my Z more than a bit less streetable in addition to me not wanting to wear out $250 a piece tires just getting to an event. So I've been considering a tow vehicle that I could use as a new daily driver...and the Xterra drew my attention. I actually went and test drove an 07 S model yesterday and it was pretty nice (though WAY different than driving my Z). I figured I ought to do my due diligence and go looking on the internet to see what I'm thinking about getting into.

Really though, I have one major concern. My Z weighs in at 3200 lbs. In doing a small amount of research I've found that I could expect a open car hauler to weigh in at about 1000-1500 lbs. Assuming worst case, that's 4700 lbs just in the car and trailer. Now, given that the X has a towing capacity (according to Nissan) of 5000 lbs, that gets me pretty dern close to that limit. But....given what I do, I may have tools, a floor jack and maybe even another set of wheels and tires along for the right. Would I be able to get away hauling around a bunch of stuff in the back end of the X while towing around 4700 lbs? (Yes..assuming a trailer with brakes)

Assuming that it would even be a good idea to try this, I'm aware that I'd need a tranny cooler as my first mod to the truck.

Anyway, does this sound like something worth pursuing an Xterra for or should I be looking at a Pathfinder?

BTW...here's a shot of my car in action:

·
on line
376 Posts
The added wheelbase of the Pathfinder might come in handy. Have you looked at the CrewCab Frontiers? You might actually get some use out of the bed for extra tires or a compressor, and the towing capacity is up to 6500lbs. on certain models. I can't give first hand experience towing w/ an X since I don't have one, but I know there are some Frontier owners who trailer their cars to the track.

·
on line
735 Posts
A 1/2 ton truck would be better- although maybe not popular with the gas situation. A V8 pathfinder or Armada might be nice too if you want to spend that kind of money.

v6 base model 1/2 ton trucks are often limited to about 5k lbs as well, but I know you can get a screaming deal on a v6 2wd tundra right now (well under $20k). That might be pushing the tow rating, but the tundra still has 14" front brake disks no matter what engine it comes with.

I'm not getting a warm feeling about using the Xterra at the top of it's rating. Maybe if you had a lightweight civic to tow... but mmm, no.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Everyone knows (well maybe not everyone) that if a car company claims that it can haul up to 5000lbs it can actually haul up to 15% more than that. Companies always have to calculate a safety factor into it.

Im not suggesting that you go over the rating, in fact im going to tell you that you shouldnt. But that was just food for thought.

As for your car... it looks really nice! What sort of modifications have you done to it? I have done just about everything i can to my truck and still looking for more!

·
on line
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys. I was kinda thinking something similar. Don't really want to go with a V8 anything due to the gas issues. The Frontier V6 4x2 can pull 6500lbs.....so that looks to be the direction I need to go. The Pathfinder is a little bit bigger than I want....though at the same time I think I'd rather have an SUV than a truck. Nice thing about the Xterra is that it's not some massive Land Destroyer Suburban Assault Vehicle.

Anyway.....since you asked about the Z.....as I said, it's lightly modified. I've upgraded the intake and the exhaust from the cats back, and I've changed the springs (lowered the car about 3/4") and sway bars (Hotchkis TVS Stage 1). Right now I'm running wider tires that are just about the limit of what I'd want to run on the street in terms of compound (220 treadwear.....any lower and you start getting into R Compound territory). Took 2nd place in my class for the Season Championship for my rookie season.

I've been having a blast with Autocross...and really want to start doing track days...and as I mentioned, if I start running an even softer tire, I'll eat them up just driving TO the track/event. Not something I can afford to do.

·
on line
255 Posts
Late to the discussion.
However, just in case you haven't bought anything yet.
Our V8 Titan will blow away a v6 Tundra as well as a 4.7 v8 tundra(we previously had two 4.7 v8 tundras). It drives great(actually handles well for a full size truck), has excellent power and utility.
We bought a base model extended cab 4x4 for $21k several months ago. The base Titan came standard with the 5.6 V8(317 hp/384 ft/lbs. torque) and 4 wheel limited slip, abs. The extended cab provides Plenty of secure, inside cab storage space.
A 4x2 Titan should be even cheaper than our 4x4 and the Titan has a 9500 lb towing capacity. Our philosophy is that it is Better to have plenty in reserve(towing and power) than barely enough.
We get 18 hwy mpg with it and about 15 in town. You lose a couple of mpg compared to a v6 Fronty, but the extra size/space/utility/power/towing capacity may be worth it.
Please drive one when you are in looking at the Frontiers. I don't think you'll want a v6 toy or frontier(both good vehicles, but....) after you drive the V8 Titan.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
Welcome to the site!! GREAT looking Z!

Im going to throw you in a direction that hasnt been mentioned. Diesel. I have a buddy you bought a 06 (i think) dodge (not my first choice) 4x4 cummins turbo diesel to tow his wheeling rig around. I would say he tows around 5000lb or so very often and hauls around welding stuff since thats his job. Well hauling all his stuff on the highway he gets about 23mpg with that truck. So, I would look into getting a 04 or newer diesel for your needs.

·
on line
1,420 Posts
Sisko99:

I do the same thing......I AutoX and drift a 350Z and im buying the Xterra for my wife. but the alternate reason is that i could also tow the car with it. I know its not ideal, but thats what ill use. I just sold my truck and after purchasing the NEW Xterra im gonna go purchase another used truck or SUV that will be used also for towing.

we want the X because we like the looks of them and features. so were not like you where your looking mainly for a tow vehicle.

Ive been looking at 2004, 2005 chevy Tahoes as well for towing. you can find those vehicles with decent mileage on them for like 10-11K where im from.

pics of Z!

- Jason

·
on line
1,420 Posts
lostboy said:
man, it looks the22 is spray painted on in the middle pic :geek:
ha..ha... never saw it that way! lol...

ya, im to lazy to order magnetic numbers online....i need to do that...

- Jason

·
TNX Administrator
20,254 Posts
:pirate: "Ahoy, Matey! :newb: (n00b) Welcome! Yer on a site dedicated t' Nissan's, "Next Generation Xterra." Step aboard, take in what you can, but promise t' share what you learn!" :3some:

So let t' mods begin: http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2742 :thumbup:

·
on line
735 Posts
oldmanterra said:
Late to the discussion.
However, just in case you haven't bought anything yet.
Our V8 Titan will blow away a v6 Tundra as well as a 4.7 v8 tundra(we previously had two 4.7 v8 tundras). It drives great(actually handles well for a full size truck), has excellent power and utility.
I know some people here like Nissan, but I can't see how anybody could recommend buying a 5.6 titan with the a5.7 Tundra being available (toyota will get better mpg). The next titan might be a force to be reckoned with, but at present, Toyota is blowing out 07 tundras. I happen to know that 2wd reg cab 5.7 tundras are going for $19,995. Some reg cabs are turning low 14 second 1/4's from what I hear.

the 5.7 with the 6 spd made the present titan obsolete. The 10.5" toyota rear axle is freaking no joke either. Even a 6 cyl one would be better than a frontier because the brakes are gigantic. I think the 4.7 and 4.0 rears are smaller, but still bigger than fronty or X diffs.

once again I'll say that I don't think the xterra would like towing at it's limit unless it was infrequently.

·
on line
255 Posts
Mike says: '...I can't see how anybody could recommend buying a 5.6 titan with the a5.7 Tundra being available..."
Well, I know I'm repeating what I wrote and what Mike quoted, but my comparison was with the5.6 and the v6toy which was mentioned earlier and 4.7.
I didn't compare or recommend the 5.6 over the 5.7 Toy in my previous statement.

I liked the 5.7 dbl. cab. that I drove, however, I did buy a 5.6 Titan KC over the v6, 4.7 and 5.7 Dbl. Cab. I put my money where my opinion was and I'm still delighted with my decision. As far as I was concerned the Titan 5.6 King Cab met my wants and needs better at a better price than the others. I just liked it better and I stand by my original statement regarding performance.

We've had 13 pickups, but that doesn't mean I know someone else's likes, wants and needs.
In fact, I can actually envision somebody recommending and buying something that I wouldn't recommend.

I suggested that if he was going to look at the Fronty that he 'please drive one'(Titan) while he was at the Nissan dealer. That way he could make up his own mind. I didn't recommend that he buy one, I suggested that he 'please drive one'. Then he could decide what best fit his likes, wants and needs. Then again, my way of thinking may be as obsolete as the truck I drive.

·
on line
652 Posts
I would have to agree with brutus
Towing the near max with an Xterra will kill it
The diesel would be he best way
If gas mileage is an issue towing 5000 lbs with you x will result in some low mpg for sure
I would spend my money on a full size truck or tahoe

·
on line
34 Posts
A bit late to this post, but I am a fellow SCCA autoxer and I tow my Integra Type R (D-stock) on a tow dolly behind my X. Ive towed it quite a bit (from Atlanta to Topeka 2x) w/o any difficulties at all, getting ~15mpg at 70. Now granted my ITR is quite a bit lighter (~2400lbs) but a dolly might be worth considering if you are set on the X.

·
on line
112 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
Welcome to the forum. Everyone knows (well maybe not everyone) that if a car company claims that it can haul up to 5000lbs it can actually haul up to 15% more than that. Companies always have to calculate a safety factor into it.

Im not suggesting that you go over the rating, in fact im going to tell you that you shouldnt. But that was just food for thought.

As for your car... it looks really nice! What sort of modifications have you done to it? I have done just about everything i can to my truck and still looking for more!

i've towed 30klb augers behind my F450, which is rated for only 23.5klb. provided he is not climbing some steep grades, and is not ham-footed on the throttle, his transmission should hold up in the Xterra. my only concern would be whether or not the Xterra can consistently and safely brake for an extra 4700lb.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts