Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

161 - 168 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
So I like to watch my MPG and avg. mpg on my scangauge along with the coolant temp. These all display real time and work great, I just wish the avg mpg was re-setable and stayed cumulative not just since you last started the vehicle. The issue comes into play with 05-08 Xterras, if you want to display the trans 1 and/or 2 temps it delays all the displays/gauges so the mpg or avg mpg are no longer real time and you see a snapshot of them every few seconds up to a minute so these are no longer helpful numbers. I tend to setup my gauges without trans temps until I am in a situation where I really need to know it, like while off roading or towing or major hill climbs, and then avg mpg items don't help much as its horrible anyway.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

I just want to mention again how awesome it is that Scangauge can show AT temps, especially because the Autometer gauge was freaking me out by reading about 100F too high yesterday. It jumped around for a bit and eventually settled back down to within +/- 10F of what the Scangauge said.

·
Registered
35 Posts
In my old X I have the radiator bypassed and the trans temp run ~160 around town. When I put the scangauge in my X with a new radiator and NO bypass the trans temp runs ~180. Make me wonder if the water temp more often makes the trans temp hotter than cooler. I have yet to see what happens during slow offroad hill climbs.
I am also bypassed but no Scanguage. Are you saying that the ATF temp was lower with the bypass than with a new radiator and no bypass?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I am also bypassed but no Scanguage. Are you saying that the ATF temp was lower with the bypass than with a new radiator and no bypass?
Theoretically, the normal operating temp for the trans should stay slightly lower, if it's not sharing heat with the radiator (bypassed). However, you also lose the additional heat sharing capability when you bypass. Yes, there's an external cooler, but the heat transfer into the radiator also helps in cooling the trans. I've read about several instances of people severally damaging their transmissions during climbs and towing, when they bypassed and didn't add an additional cooler. So, without the heat transfer of the radiator and/or an extra external cooler, your trans is at a pretty high risk of getting smoked if you frequently do mountain passes and/or tow.

161 - 168 of 168 Posts